Re: [SCA-JML] Re: What's JSTOR

  • Tracie Ellis
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006
      If you check, there is an option to be an individual researcher with access
      to JSTOR; and apparenly you only need to contact the individual publishers
      for registration information. What's beyond that I don't know.

      Interesting place. Thanks for the link.

      Lady Miriel Crawford

      --
      Email me for designs on period "like" jewelry.

    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2006

        > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
        >

        >However, my printer, my books, my notes, &c. are here, not at the
        >library. It really is nicer when you can access JSTOR where you are
        >doing your work.

        If you figure out a way to do it, let us know! That would totally rock I
        agree.

        >Also, it is not necessarily easy or possible to use
        >the library computers.

        True, depends on the library and how close to finals it is....

        >That said, there is no place that I can
        >legally park on campus for an extended period starting January 1 of
        >this year.

        Bus?

        >Using JSTOR is not at all something that can be done while parked in a
        >15 minute parking spot. The one possibility is using concert parking
        >during an evening concert.

        What did we do before JSTOR? We went to university campuses that have
        crappy parking (a universal constant) and prayed that no greedy
        professor had absconded err... made a long term loan of the magazine if
        they even had a subscription. I'm not sure how interlibrary loans work
        in New York since I've never considered living there, but that might be
        another way. Compared to what it was like 30 years ago, access to
        obscure materials is much easier.

        Jim
      • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
          On 1/13/06, Tracie Ellis <miriel.crawford@...> wrote:
          > If you check, there is an option to be an individual researcher with access
          > to JSTOR; and apparenly you only need to contact the individual publishers
          > for registration information. What's beyond that I don't know.
          >
          > Interesting place. Thanks for the link.

          Unfortunately, it looks like not everyone is in on that, yet--from
          what I can tell, "Monumenta Nipponica" is not one of those available
          :( . Unless I missed something, sigh...

          And if you want to try to get it as an 'institution', look at the fees! :0

          -Ii
        • Ellen Badgley
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006
            On 1/14/06, Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.) <tatsushu@...> wrote:
            > On 1/13/06, Tracie Ellis <miriel.crawford@...> wrote:
            > > If you check, there is an option to be an individual researcher with
            > access
            > > to JSTOR; and apparenly you only need to contact the individual
            > publishers
            > > for registration information. What's beyond that I don't know.
            > >
            > > Interesting place. Thanks for the link.

            Not sure if this is actually helpful, but FYI:

            If you are a registered student at an institution that has a
            subscription to JSTOR, sometimes it is possible to access it at home
            that way. I am a GMU student and George Mason's web portal is such
            that if you enter your student ID, you then have full access to any of
            their databases from home.

            -Abe no Kotori
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2006

              > Bus?

              There is no public transportation in Potsdam. Also, people have been
              known to have been run over near the school.

            • Aden Steinke
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 15, 2006
                Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:31:04 -0500
                From: "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
                Subject: Re: Re: What's JSTOR

                Unfortunately, it looks like not everyone is in on that, yet--from
                what I can tell, "Monumenta Nipponica" is not one of those available
                :( . Unless I missed something, sigh...

                MN is in JSTOR with a 5 year rolling bar - and from 2005 MN is on MUSE. So there is a 4 year gap in online material (if I am in error I would be very pleased to find out)

                Aden
                onetime sophia student

              • James Eckman
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 15, 2006
                  >From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
                  >

                  >There is no public transportation in Potsdam. Also, people have been
                  >known to have been run over near the school.

                  I guess it's better than being shot or robbed, but not much :( Zannen....

                  Jim
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 15, 2006

                    > I guess it's better than being shot or robbed, but not much :(
                    > Zannen....
                    Being shot and killed is a feature of other places I have been. At my
                    undergraduate school, someone decided to sit on his porch and shoot at
                    passing cars until the police showed up and took him away. Where I went
                    to graduate school, someone was shot a couple of doors down from the
                    campus police station. Actually, when I first arrived in graduate
                    school, about half the buildings nearby were gutted by fire and local
                    property owners were hiring arsonists to burn their buildings. At
                    Bradley University, someone was shot at the little shopping centre
                    across the street from the campus. Where I am now, you mostly have to
                    dodge Amish buggies going in and out of town and drunken students
                    either driving or walking inside of town. However, somebody enlivened
                    the lives of the local shopkeepers by breaking their windows over
                    Winter break this year.