[SCA-JML] Re: Different sort of color blindness?

  • Joshua Badgley
    Message 1 of 210 , Feb 1, 2000
      On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Kass McGann wrote:

      > Also it might be useful to remember that
      > many Japanese consider 'green'
      > (midori) as 'blue'. Thus, trees are blue, the sky is blue, and a
      > blue
      > light at a traffic stop means 'go'.
      >
      > By the way, midori is not blue. Aoi is. Trees are aoi... Midori really
      > IS green...

      Yes, sorry about that confusion there. Aoi = blue, and sometimes what
      Westerners call green. Midori = green.

      Naoshite arigatou gozaimasu

      Godric Logan
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 210 of 210 , May 28, 2000

        For some reason your message possped up recently and I have an idea
        about how Daigoro got his name. You should understand that the names
        in manga are not necessarily names that any real person would have.
        They tend to loosely fit into Japanese naming practice or use elements
        drown therefrom, but that is about it. My guess (and this is only a
        guess) is that Daigoro means "big growl". I once knew a cat named
        goro which was an otomatapoetic (sp) name. The name "works" because
        -goro is a legitimate yobina ending. Another interesting example of
        Japanese manga onomastic is the use of -emon names in the Pokemon
        series. The emonfu originally consisted of two divisions of gate
        gaurds in Heiankyou. -emon evolved into a somewhat free titular
        formation and by the end of the 16th century appears to have become
        a free name form used in yobina of those of sufficient rank in the
        Bakufu. Today, -emon is used as a name element in the geimei of
        rather traditional artisans. In popular literature, -emon names will
        tend to give a character an old-fashioned feel. I suspect that it in
        Pokemon these names have somewhat humorous intent. (However, I could
        be wrong about this as I have not checked out the Pokemon series.)
        Other pop-culture name formations can be interesting. During the
        1950's, Japanese movie studios churned out a series of monster movies
        following the success of Godzilla (pronounced Go-Ji-LA in Japanase).
        The prototypical Japanese large monster is the whale "kujira" and all
        of the various Japanese monsters of movie fame appear to have names
        derived from the word for whale. Note that while apparently an errant
        Tyranosaurus-Rex, Godzilla actually emerges from the sea which is
        the domain of the whale.

        | techie.com |