Re: [SCA-JML] Re: English words to...

  • JESSICA DODGE
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 11, 2006
      Well, I would like to sing period stuff. However,right now, I will sing anything I can find. As far as music is concerned, I haven't run across anything with words in perios exept for "Sakura" And that is only becuase a friend of mine recommened it.

      I did track down a something. When I have time to do more research on it, It is my hope that it will open up a needed area in Bardic Activites in Calontir.
      Hotaru

      wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
      wrote:

      > Do you want to sing premodern Japanese songs,
      > Japanese songs, or just songs in general?

      I, for one, would be interested in pre-1600 songs in Japanese.

      Saionji no Hanae,
      Province of the Mists, West Kingdom

      ---------------------------------

    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2006
        I think part of the problem I have is that the original song
        referenced is not only VERY non-period, it's not even Japanese.

        There is a certain "period-ish song" tolerance in the SCA --
        look at all those Steeleye Span songs, Clancy Brothers
        tunes, and so on. Not to mention all the NEW songs written
        by musicians in the SCA, and the filk... One wonders about
        traditional folksongs -- many of which, like typical
        "Brothers Grimm" tales, are only a few centuries old.

        Certainly singing a song in a foreign language that most
        don't understand could render even a ballad about the 1968
        student riots incomprehensible, so... Would one sing "Red
        River Valley," "Santa Luccia," or "Katyusha" in a pre-1600
        setting? I doubt it.

        One of the big problems with Japanese songs -- especially
        kids' songs and folk songs -- is that the more recent the
        song, the more "westernized" the tune is going to be. Even
        when it sounds really Japanese -- like enka, which is
        *extremely* Japanese in flavor -- it tends to sound more modern.

        That being said, I'm going to help you cheat. <G>

        The easy way, barring finding real, guaranteed period things
        like kouta and Noh pieces and so on, is to try traditional
        Japanese folksongs that preserve or suggest a traiditonal
        and historical flavor.

        What you really want to look for are minyo (or min'you) --
        folksongs. They tend to be fairly short (yay!) but, like
        much traditional Japanese vocal music, require some
        interesting vocal gymnastics. They also tend to have
        repeated short nonsense words/verses (cf. English "With a
        hey lolly lilly lally loodee loodee dee") -- these repeated
        bits can sometimes be popularly joined in on by the audience
        as a sort of participatory element. Clapping to the beat of
        a fastish song (like an old fave, Soran Bushi), helps get
        the audience into the song -- whether the lyrics are English
        or Japanese.

        *******

        First, let me introduce you to the site of an acquaintence
        of mine from Sci.lang.japan. Ito-san has a weird hobby (like
        I'm one to talk!) -- he likes translating old, traditional
        songs into English, and then recording them.

        I think some of the translations are a bit clunky in places,
        but he was trying to preserve the syllable count. You also
        might enjoy some of the enka (often called "Japanese blues"
        -- I *love* enka) -- I particularly like Yosaku, which could
        -- thematically -- pass as a period piece, although it is
        modern.

        If you decide you want to sing any of them in Japan, let me
        know what you like and I'll try to find romanized lyrics --
        barring that, I'll try to get some done for you.

        Ito-san's site: http://www8.ocn.ne.jp/~bito/

        Songs worth noting:

        Ushiwaka-maru (telling of Yoshitsune's encounter with Benkei
        on the Gojo Bridge)
        http://members10.tsukaeru.net/bito/Ushiwakamaru.htm

        Fuji no yama http://bungito.hp.infoseek.co.jp/FujinoYama.htm

        Yosaku http://bungito-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/YosakuFluteJas.htm

        Kuroda Bushi (a classic minyo; "bushi" is a type of folk
        song -- it has nothing to do with "warrior" -- although in
        THIS song the word is VERY clearly a pun. I love this song.
        BTW, it's a drinking song)
        http://bungito.hp.infoseek.co.jp/KurodaBushi.htm

        Tabaru-zaka (Tabaru slopes)
        http://bungito.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Tabaruzaka.htm

        Chakkiri bushi (lots of repeated "chakkiri" to get audience
        participation!)
        http://bungito-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Chakkiribushi.htm

        Soran bushi (a classic, popular for audience participation
        with repeated "soran, soran, soran, soran, hai hai!" with a
        clap on each "so"! -- in fact, keep the clapping up through
        the song, like a metronome beat.)
        http://bito2.tsukaeru.jp/So-ranbushiyoshida.htm

        *******

        Now for another site.

        This one is a wonderful resource -- if you can read
        Japanese. What it is is a huge online warehouse of
        traditional Japanese songs with lyrics and midi or mp3 files
        of the tunes (so you can sing along). Of course to be able
        to use it, you need to be able to read Japanese; but I'm
        listing it here as it's a great resource. It's an
        encyclopedic list of old, trad, lullaby, kids' (including
        the "traditional Japanese" "bear in the woods"), and
        "nostalgic" (many WWII -- including my old fave, "Subaru")
        J. songs. The words on the page with the midi, and each song
        has its own page.

        The link is:
        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/00_songs.html

        On the page, the songs all appear "alphabetically" by the
        so-called 50-sound order (a, i, u, e, o, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko...)

        Faves and songs of note:

        Subaru (a depressing WWII song about soldiers going to their
        fate, bidding farewell to the stars that govern their destiny;
        "We are going -- farewell, O ye stars")
        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/subaru.html

        Soran bushi (so you can hear the tune w/o words in the way)
        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/soranbushi.html

        Yosaku
        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/yosaku.html

        Chakkiri bushi
        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/chakkiribushi.html

        Ushiwaka maru
        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/ushiwaka.html

        Fuji no yama
        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/fujiyama.html

        Bear in the Woods
        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/morinokuma.html
        Yesterday
        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/yesterday.html
        (okay, I'm kidding about these two)

        Aa, jinsei ni namida ari (Ah, there are tears in life -- the
        theme song of the TV series Mito Komon)
        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/aajinseini.html

        ********

        Next is a site called "The world of minyo" -- it's a
        Japanese site, of course, but a good resource. The link is:
        http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/nihon-minyou/

        One of the pages on that site has midi downloads (just
        music, no words):
        http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/nihon-minyou/dl/dl.htm

        Soran bushi
        http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/douyou-syouka/03nihon/souran_s.mid

        Kuroda bushi
        http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/douyou-syouka/03nihon/kuroda_s.mid

        *******

        I hope this is of some help.

        Anthony J. Bryant
        Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        All sorts of cool things Japanese and SCA:
        http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
      • JESSICA DODGE

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 12, 2006
            JESSICA DODGE wrote:

            > THANK YOU! This will take me a while to explore, but this is great. I
            > will certianly indever to learn some period songs, or at least period
            > sounding.

            Glad to help. <G>