JSTOR

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
      Noble Cousins!

      Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
      could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
      interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
      allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
      membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
      already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
      organizations.

    • JESSICA DODGE
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
        I do not know what JSTOR is.
        Hotaru

        Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
        could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
        interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
        allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
        membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
        already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
        organizations.

        ---------------------------------

      • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
          > Ii dono!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! The problem is not printing from JSTOR it is
          > accessing JSTOR. You have to be logged in at an institution which
          > belongs to JSTOR or have an account assigned by such an institution.
          > So, if you know a local university or college which lets you attach
          > your computer to their network, you are probably in business. All you
          > have to do is download the articles as pdf files and study them at your
          > convenience.

          Yes, but some institutions charge for that access. Others charge only
          if you are printing out the articles (so you can read it online, via
          their account, for free, but if you are going to print it out or
          otherwise copy it and take it with you, you have to pay). I believe
          this varies from institution to institution.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 12, 2006

            > I do not know what JSTOR is.

            It is an on-line library of journal articles which research wonks like
            to use. Currently, Monumenta Nipponica has a 5 year rolling window on
            the articles. Basically, anything they published before 2001 is on
            line.