Re: [SCA-JML] sources for medieval Japanese music in western notation

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
      Ii dono!

      Greetings from Solveig! The problem is not printing from JSTOR it is
      accessing JSTOR. You have to be logged in at an institution which
      belongs to JSTOR or have an account assigned by such an institution.
      So, if you know a local university or college which lets you attach
      your computer to their network, you are probably in business. All you
      have to do is download the articles as pdf files and study them at your
      convenience.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006

        Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
        could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
        interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
        allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
        membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
        already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
        organizations.

      • JESSICA DODGE
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
          I do not know what JSTOR is.
          Hotaru

          Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
          could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
          interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
          allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
          membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
          already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
          organizations.

          ---------------------------------

        • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
            > Ii dono!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! The problem is not printing from JSTOR it is
            > accessing JSTOR. You have to be logged in at an institution which
            > belongs to JSTOR or have an account assigned by such an institution.
            > So, if you know a local university or college which lets you attach
            > your computer to their network, you are probably in business. All you
            > have to do is download the articles as pdf files and study them at your
            > convenience.

            Yes, but some institutions charge for that access. Others charge only
            if you are printing out the articles (so you can read it online, via
            their account, for free, but if you are going to print it out or
            otherwise copy it and take it with you, you have to pay). I believe
            this varies from institution to institution.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 12, 2006

              > I do not know what JSTOR is.

              It is an on-line library of journal articles which research wonks like
              to use. Currently, Monumenta Nipponica has a 5 year rolling window on
              the articles. Basically, anything they published before 2001 is on
              line.