Re: [SCA-JML] sources for medieval Japanese music in western notation

  • Ellen Badgley
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
      > > Greetings from Solveig! Monumenta Nipponica "freely grants permission".
      > > It says so in each and every copy of the journal. So, no. As far as I
      > > know, you do not have to pay through the nostrils to print out
      > > Monumenta Nipponica stuff. Further, U.S. copyright law allows you to
      > > make one copy of just about anything for study and researsh.
      >

      > I could be wrong, but I think the 'payment' is to print from JSTOR, and I
      > think that depends on where you're at--it might even have more to do with
      > the printing fees of the school/library you are at than anything else.
      >
      > -Ii

      That's exactly what I was referring to-- the printing costs at the library, etc.

      -Kotori
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
        Ii dono!

        Greetings from Solveig! The problem is not printing from JSTOR it is
        accessing JSTOR. You have to be logged in at an institution which
        belongs to JSTOR or have an account assigned by such an institution.
        So, if you know a local university or college which lets you attach
        your computer to their network, you are probably in business. All you
        have to do is download the articles as pdf files and study them at your
        convenience.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
          Noble Cousins!

          Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
          could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
          interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
          allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
          membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
          already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
          organizations.

        • JESSICA DODGE
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
            I do not know what JSTOR is.
            Hotaru

            Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
            could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
            interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
            allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
            membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
            already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
            organizations.

            ---------------------------------

          • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
              > Ii dono!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! The problem is not printing from JSTOR it is
              > accessing JSTOR. You have to be logged in at an institution which
              > belongs to JSTOR or have an account assigned by such an institution.
              > So, if you know a local university or college which lets you attach
              > your computer to their network, you are probably in business. All you
              > have to do is download the articles as pdf files and study them at your
              > convenience.

              Yes, but some institutions charge for that access. Others charge only
              if you are printing out the articles (so you can read it online, via
              their account, for free, but if you are going to print it out or
              otherwise copy it and take it with you, you have to pay). I believe
              this varies from institution to institution.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 12, 2006

                > I do not know what JSTOR is.

                It is an on-line library of journal articles which research wonks like
                to use. Currently, Monumenta Nipponica has a 5 year rolling window on
                the articles. Basically, anything they published before 2001 is on
                line.