Re: [SCA-JML] sources for medieval Japanese music in western notation

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006

      Greetings from Solveig! Monumenta Nipponica "freely grants permission".
      It says so in each and every copy of the journal. So, no. As far as I
      know, you do not have to pay through the nostrils to print out
      Monumenta Nipponica stuff. Further, U.S. copyright law allows you to
      make one copy of just about anything for study and researsh.

    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006

        > Noble Cousin!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! Monumenta Nipponica "freely grants permission".
        > It says so in each and every copy of the journal. So, no. As far as I
        > know, you do not have to pay through the nostrils to print out
        > Monumenta Nipponica stuff. Further, U.S. copyright law allows you to
        > make one copy of just about anything for study and researsh.

        I could be wrong, but I think the 'payment' is to print from JSTOR, and I
        think that depends on where you're at--it might even have more to do with
        the printing fees of the school/library you are at than anything else.

      • Ellen Badgley
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
          > > Greetings from Solveig! Monumenta Nipponica "freely grants permission".
          > > It says so in each and every copy of the journal. So, no. As far as I
          > > know, you do not have to pay through the nostrils to print out
          > > Monumenta Nipponica stuff. Further, U.S. copyright law allows you to
          > > make one copy of just about anything for study and researsh.
          >

          > I could be wrong, but I think the 'payment' is to print from JSTOR, and I
          > think that depends on where you're at--it might even have more to do with
          > the printing fees of the school/library you are at than anything else.
          >
          > -Ii

          That's exactly what I was referring to-- the printing costs at the library, etc.

          -Kotori
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
            Ii dono!

            Greetings from Solveig! The problem is not printing from JSTOR it is
            accessing JSTOR. You have to be logged in at an institution which
            belongs to JSTOR or have an account assigned by such an institution.
            So, if you know a local university or college which lets you attach
            your computer to their network, you are probably in business. All you
            have to do is download the articles as pdf files and study them at your
            convenience.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006

              Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
              could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
              interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
              allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
              membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
              already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
              organizations.

            • JESSICA DODGE
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
                I do not know what JSTOR is.
                Hotaru

                Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
                could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
                interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
                allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
                membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
                already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
                organizations.

                ---------------------------------

              • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
                  > Ii dono!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig! The problem is not printing from JSTOR it is
                  > accessing JSTOR. You have to be logged in at an institution which
                  > belongs to JSTOR or have an account assigned by such an institution.
                  > So, if you know a local university or college which lets you attach
                  > your computer to their network, you are probably in business. All you
                  > have to do is download the articles as pdf files and study them at your
                  > convenience.

                  Yes, but some institutions charge for that access. Others charge only
                  if you are printing out the articles (so you can read it online, via
                  their account, for free, but if you are going to print it out or
                  otherwise copy it and take it with you, you have to pay). I believe
                  this varies from institution to institution.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 12, 2006

                    > I do not know what JSTOR is.

                    It is an on-line library of journal articles which research wonks like
                    to use. Currently, Monumenta Nipponica has a 5 year rolling window on
                    the articles. Basically, anything they published before 2001 is on
                    line.