Re: [SCA-JML] sources for medieval Japanese music in western notation

  • Ellen Badgley
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006
      On 1/10/06, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

      > Author: Harich-Schneider (Eta).
      > Title: Rôei, the medieval court songs of Japan.
      > Publisher: Sophia University Press, Tokyo (c)1965
      > 132 pp.
      >
      > This is in western music notation though some unusual
      > markings are used to indicate some of the rhythmic
      > flexibility and performance conventions of these
      > Japanese chants.
      > Lately seen on Abebooks for $31.13

      *snip*

      I believe this same article was published in Monumenta Nipponica (in
      two parts)...meaning it's free if you have access to a good university
      library with a subscription to JSTOR. (Well, you do have to pay if
      you print it out.) No citation info at the moment, sorry...

      -Abe no Kotori
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006

        Greetings from Solveig! Monumenta Nipponica "freely grants permission".
        It says so in each and every copy of the journal. So, no. As far as I
        know, you do not have to pay through the nostrils to print out
        Monumenta Nipponica stuff. Further, U.S. copyright law allows you to
        make one copy of just about anything for study and researsh.

      • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006

          > Noble Cousin!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! Monumenta Nipponica "freely grants permission".
          > It says so in each and every copy of the journal. So, no. As far as I
          > know, you do not have to pay through the nostrils to print out
          > Monumenta Nipponica stuff. Further, U.S. copyright law allows you to
          > make one copy of just about anything for study and researsh.

          I could be wrong, but I think the 'payment' is to print from JSTOR, and I
          think that depends on where you're at--it might even have more to do with
          the printing fees of the school/library you are at than anything else.

        • Ellen Badgley
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
            > > Greetings from Solveig! Monumenta Nipponica "freely grants permission".
            > > It says so in each and every copy of the journal. So, no. As far as I
            > > know, you do not have to pay through the nostrils to print out
            > > Monumenta Nipponica stuff. Further, U.S. copyright law allows you to
            > > make one copy of just about anything for study and researsh.
            >

            > I could be wrong, but I think the 'payment' is to print from JSTOR, and I
            > think that depends on where you're at--it might even have more to do with
            > the printing fees of the school/library you are at than anything else.
            >
            > -Ii

            That's exactly what I was referring to-- the printing costs at the library, etc.

            -Kotori
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
              Ii dono!

              Greetings from Solveig! The problem is not printing from JSTOR it is
              accessing JSTOR. You have to be logged in at an institution which
              belongs to JSTOR or have an account assigned by such an institution.
              So, if you know a local university or college which lets you attach
              your computer to their network, you are probably in business. All you
              have to do is download the articles as pdf files and study them at your
              convenience.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006

                Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
                could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
                interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
                allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
                membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
                already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
                organizations.

              • JESSICA DODGE
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
                  I do not know what JSTOR is.
                  Hotaru

                  Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
                  could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
                  interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
                  allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
                  membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
                  already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
                  organizations.

                  ---------------------------------

                • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
                    > Ii dono!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig! The problem is not printing from JSTOR it is
                    > accessing JSTOR. You have to be logged in at an institution which
                    > belongs to JSTOR or have an account assigned by such an institution.
                    > So, if you know a local university or college which lets you attach
                    > your computer to their network, you are probably in business. All you
                    > have to do is download the articles as pdf files and study them at your
                    > convenience.

                    Yes, but some institutions charge for that access. Others charge only
                    if you are printing out the articles (so you can read it online, via
                    their account, for free, but if you are going to print it out or
                    otherwise copy it and take it with you, you have to pay). I believe
                    this varies from institution to institution.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 12, 2006

                      > I do not know what JSTOR is.

                      It is an on-line library of journal articles which research wonks like
                      to use. Currently, Monumenta Nipponica has a 5 year rolling window on
                      the articles. Basically, anything they published before 2001 is on
                      line.