sources for medieval Japanese music in western notation

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006
      For those interested in medieval Japanese music, I can
      suggest the following 2 sources. Admittedly they are
      not cheap, but you can check your local university
      library or check usedbooks.com. These sources are
      written in English, use romanji, and western music
      notation.

      Author: Harich-Schneider (Eta).
      Title: Rôei, the medieval court songs of Japan.
      Publisher: Sophia University Press, Tokyo ©1965
      132 pp.

      This is in western music notation though some unusual
      markings are used to indicate some of the rhythmic
      flexibility and performance conventions of these
      Japanese chants.
      Lately seen on Abebooks for $31.13

      Author: Markham, Elizabeth J.
      Title: Saibara; Japanese Court Songs of the Heian
      Period; Volumes one and two.
      Publisher: Cambridge University Press ©1983
      each vol is 380-400 pp.

      Volume one is analysis of the texts and some of the
      music; Volume two has transcriptions of the music in
      western notation. These books are generally pricey,
      between $75-150 for the set.

      You can check your favorite rare or used book seller
      or your local university libraries for these: I doubt
      they are in your local library's collection, but who
      knows? I first encountered them at the Boston
      University library and have since purchased them
      because I found myself referring to them so often.

      Best wishes and happy music making.

      Ki no Izumi

      - Jennifer

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006
        --- Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

        > For those interested in medieval Japanese music, I
        > can
        > suggest the following 2 sources.

        PS. If anyone has any other suggestions for sources of
        medieval Japanese music, I would love to hear about
        them. Thanks...

        Ki no Izumi

        - Jennifer

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Ellen Badgley
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006
          On 1/10/06, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:

          > Author: Harich-Schneider (Eta).
          > Title: Rôei, the medieval court songs of Japan.
          > Publisher: Sophia University Press, Tokyo (c)1965
          > 132 pp.
          >
          > This is in western music notation though some unusual
          > markings are used to indicate some of the rhythmic
          > flexibility and performance conventions of these
          > Japanese chants.
          > Lately seen on Abebooks for $31.13

          *snip*

          I believe this same article was published in Monumenta Nipponica (in
          two parts)...meaning it's free if you have access to a good university
          library with a subscription to JSTOR. (Well, you do have to pay if
          you print it out.) No citation info at the moment, sorry...

          -Abe no Kotori
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2006

            Greetings from Solveig! Monumenta Nipponica "freely grants permission".
            It says so in each and every copy of the journal. So, no. As far as I
            know, you do not have to pay through the nostrils to print out
            Monumenta Nipponica stuff. Further, U.S. copyright law allows you to
            make one copy of just about anything for study and researsh.

          • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006

              > Noble Cousin!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! Monumenta Nipponica "freely grants permission".
              > It says so in each and every copy of the journal. So, no. As far as I
              > know, you do not have to pay through the nostrils to print out
              > Monumenta Nipponica stuff. Further, U.S. copyright law allows you to
              > make one copy of just about anything for study and researsh.

              I could be wrong, but I think the 'payment' is to print from JSTOR, and I
              think that depends on where you're at--it might even have more to do with
              the printing fees of the school/library you are at than anything else.

            • Ellen Badgley
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
                > > Greetings from Solveig! Monumenta Nipponica "freely grants permission".
                > > It says so in each and every copy of the journal. So, no. As far as I
                > > know, you do not have to pay through the nostrils to print out
                > > Monumenta Nipponica stuff. Further, U.S. copyright law allows you to
                > > make one copy of just about anything for study and researsh.
                >

                > I could be wrong, but I think the 'payment' is to print from JSTOR, and I
                > think that depends on where you're at--it might even have more to do with
                > the printing fees of the school/library you are at than anything else.
                >
                > -Ii

                That's exactly what I was referring to-- the printing costs at the library, etc.

                -Kotori
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
                  Ii dono!

                  Greetings from Solveig! The problem is not printing from JSTOR it is
                  accessing JSTOR. You have to be logged in at an institution which
                  belongs to JSTOR or have an account assigned by such an institution.
                  So, if you know a local university or college which lets you attach
                  your computer to their network, you are probably in business. All you
                  have to do is download the articles as pdf files and study them at your
                  convenience.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006

                    Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
                    could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
                    interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
                    allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
                    membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
                    already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
                    organizations.

                  • JESSICA DODGE
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
                      I do not know what JSTOR is.
                      Hotaru

                      Greetings from Solveig! This is yet another area where the corporation
                      could, in theory, be useful to the members, but doesn't appear to be
                      interested. Basically, it would be really spiffy if SCA membership
                      allowed for JSTOR access even if it were an extra-cost add-on to annual
                      membership. I would pay for it pretty much at the drop of a hat. I
                      already pay for journal e-libraries at two or three other
                      organizations.

                      ---------------------------------

                    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
                        > Ii dono!
                        >
                        > Greetings from Solveig! The problem is not printing from JSTOR it is
                        > accessing JSTOR. You have to be logged in at an institution which
                        > belongs to JSTOR or have an account assigned by such an institution.
                        > So, if you know a local university or college which lets you attach
                        > your computer to their network, you are probably in business. All you
                        > have to do is download the articles as pdf files and study them at your
                        > convenience.

                        Yes, but some institutions charge for that access. Others charge only
                        if you are printing out the articles (so you can read it online, via
                        their account, for free, but if you are going to print it out or
                        otherwise copy it and take it with you, you have to pay). I believe
                        this varies from institution to institution.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 12, 2006

                          > I do not know what JSTOR is.

                          It is an on-line library of journal articles which research wonks like
                          to use. Currently, Monumenta Nipponica has a 5 year rolling window on
                          the articles. Basically, anything they published before 2001 is on
                          line.