Re: [SCA-JML] English words to...

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
      JESSICA DODGE wrote:
      > I am looking for the translation of an old Japanese folk song called
      > "Dona Dona Dona"
      > It is about a cow going to market.
      >
      > I was also wondering if anyone has any information on
      this song. (time
      > period, region, that kind of thing) thanks Bunches,

      This one set off my "smell-o-meter." Why do cows go to
      market? To be sold for meat. Japan historically did not eat
      beef, did not drink milk, and except for a few Nara/Heian
      centuries, did not eat cheese.

      Something didn't seem right.

      If it *did* exist, I figured it was a translation of
      something European.

      So I went digging. I found the words (a couple of
      variations, actually. But more important, on
      http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~hiroko.k/sukonbu/donadona.html
      I found this:

      DONA DONA

      (Original Yiddish words by Aaron Zeitlin and Shalom Secunda;
      English translation by Arthur Kevess and Teddi Schwartz)

      On a wagon bound for market
      There's a calf with a mournful eye.
      High above him there's a swallow
      Winging swiftly through the sky.

      How the winds are laughing
      They laugh with all their might
      Laugh and laugh the whole day through
      And half the summer's night.

      Dona dona dona dona
      Dona dona dona down
      Dona dona dona dona
      Dona dona dona down

      "Stop complaining," said the farmer,
      "Who told you a calf to be"
      Why don't you have wings to fly away
      Like the swallow so proud and free?"

      Calves are easily bound and slaughtered
      Never knowing the reason why.
      But whoever treasures freedom,
      Like the swallow must learn to fly

      Words by Arthur Kevess and Teddi Schwartz
      (C) 1940 Mills Music Inc.

      Not only non-Japanese, but INCREDIBLY post-Period. <G>

      Anthony J. Bryant
      Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

      All sorts of cool things Japanese and SCA:
      http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
    • JESSICA DODGE
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
        Thank you, for the info. Please, please please, do not take this the wrong way.
        You said "Not only non-Japanese, but INCREDIBLY post-Period"
        I really don't care. I am a beginning bard with very very little memorized, and even less research cababilities at the mommnet. I want some japanese songs. untill I can find something other than "Sakura" to sing, I will sing what I can find.

        Again, please please please do not take this as being rude. I have very high respect for you, and try to soak up everything you say. (you have are much more knowledgeable and experienced than I) And I really do thank you very much for your information.

        <bowing low and humble>
        Hotaru
        (please don't chop off my head)

        ---------------------------------

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@y...> wrote:

          > Thank you, for the info. Please, please please, do not take this the
          wrong way.
          > You said "Not only non-Japanese, but INCREDIBLY post-Period"

          Which begs the question, can anyone recommend some songs that are?
          Recordings? Lyrics in romanji (sorry - can't manage real Japanese)?
          Midi files, even? I would be interested, it's just something I haven't
          gotten around to looking for myself and a shove in the right direction
          would be most welcome.

          > I really don't care.
          Which begs the question - no, I am NOT going to go there.

          Hotaru-hime, if you want Western material that is at least period for
          the SCA, drop me a note offline and I can direct you to a big,
          heaping, steaming pile of useful information, much of it readily
          available on-lline. (My European alter ego is a period music geek - in
          fact, she will be teaching some easy songs at Estrella.)

          Saionji no Hanae
        • JESSICA DODGE
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
            Woeford-dono
            If that is the case, I will see you at estrella and will be most happy to take your class! (as i enjoyed the costuming class at known world, I would expect to enjoy your music class) I am trying to memorize some "entertianment" I most recntly memorized "The Yarn of the Nancy Bell" I won a bardic competion with it. I play recorder, drums and anythig I can get my musically incined hands on.

            i hope to see you there!
            Hotaru
            (or Helena panier)
            I will push you in a direction at the war!

            .

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006

              Greetings from Solveig! Do you want to sing premodern Japanese songs,
              Japanese songs, or just songs in general? I have books of Japanese
              children's songs, there are books of ko'uta around, &c. Would you
              possibly be interested in reciting stories while playing the biwa? (The
              biwa is a kind of lute.)

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006

                Greetings from Solveig! Do you want to sing in English or in Japanese?

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
                  wrote:

                  > Do you want to sing premodern Japanese songs,
                  > Japanese songs, or just songs in general?

                  I, for one, would be interested in pre-1600 songs in Japanese.

                  Saionji no Hanae,
                  Province of the Mists, West Kingdom
                • JESSICA DODGE
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 11, 2006
                    Well, I would like to sing period stuff. However,right now, I will sing anything I can find. As far as music is concerned, I haven't run across anything with words in perios exept for "Sakura" And that is only becuase a friend of mine recommened it.

                    I did track down a something. When I have time to do more research on it, It is my hope that it will open up a needed area in Bardic Activites in Calontir.
                    Hotaru

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 12, 2006
                      I think part of the problem I have is that the original song
                      referenced is not only VERY non-period, it's not even Japanese.

                      There is a certain "period-ish song" tolerance in the SCA --
                      look at all those Steeleye Span songs, Clancy Brothers
                      tunes, and so on. Not to mention all the NEW songs written
                      by musicians in the SCA, and the filk... One wonders about
                      traditional folksongs -- many of which, like typical
                      "Brothers Grimm" tales, are only a few centuries old.

                      Certainly singing a song in a foreign language that most
                      don't understand could render even a ballad about the 1968
                      student riots incomprehensible, so... Would one sing "Red
                      River Valley," "Santa Luccia," or "Katyusha" in a pre-1600
                      setting? I doubt it.

                      One of the big problems with Japanese songs -- especially
                      kids' songs and folk songs -- is that the more recent the
                      song, the more "westernized" the tune is going to be. Even
                      when it sounds really Japanese -- like enka, which is
                      *extremely* Japanese in flavor -- it tends to sound more modern.

                      That being said, I'm going to help you cheat. <G>

                      The easy way, barring finding real, guaranteed period things
                      like kouta and Noh pieces and so on, is to try traditional
                      Japanese folksongs that preserve or suggest a traiditonal
                      and historical flavor.

                      What you really want to look for are minyo (or min'you) --
                      folksongs. They tend to be fairly short (yay!) but, like
                      much traditional Japanese vocal music, require some
                      interesting vocal gymnastics. They also tend to have
                      repeated short nonsense words/verses (cf. English "With a
                      hey lolly lilly lally loodee loodee dee") -- these repeated
                      bits can sometimes be popularly joined in on by the audience
                      as a sort of participatory element. Clapping to the beat of
                      a fastish song (like an old fave, Soran Bushi), helps get
                      the audience into the song -- whether the lyrics are English
                      or Japanese.

                      *******

                      First, let me introduce you to the site of an acquaintence
                      of mine from Sci.lang.japan. Ito-san has a weird hobby (like
                      I'm one to talk!) -- he likes translating old, traditional
                      songs into English, and then recording them.

                      I think some of the translations are a bit clunky in places,
                      but he was trying to preserve the syllable count. You also
                      might enjoy some of the enka (often called "Japanese blues"
                      -- I *love* enka) -- I particularly like Yosaku, which could
                      -- thematically -- pass as a period piece, although it is
                      modern.

                      If you decide you want to sing any of them in Japan, let me
                      know what you like and I'll try to find romanized lyrics --
                      barring that, I'll try to get some done for you.

                      Ito-san's site: http://www8.ocn.ne.jp/~bito/

                      Songs worth noting:

                      Ushiwaka-maru (telling of Yoshitsune's encounter with Benkei
                      on the Gojo Bridge)
                      http://members10.tsukaeru.net/bito/Ushiwakamaru.htm

                      Fuji no yama http://bungito.hp.infoseek.co.jp/FujinoYama.htm

                      Yosaku http://bungito-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/YosakuFluteJas.htm

                      Kuroda Bushi (a classic minyo; "bushi" is a type of folk
                      song -- it has nothing to do with "warrior" -- although in
                      THIS song the word is VERY clearly a pun. I love this song.
                      BTW, it's a drinking song)
                      http://bungito.hp.infoseek.co.jp/KurodaBushi.htm

                      Tabaru-zaka (Tabaru slopes)
                      http://bungito.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Tabaruzaka.htm

                      Chakkiri bushi (lots of repeated "chakkiri" to get audience
                      participation!)
                      http://bungito-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Chakkiribushi.htm

                      Soran bushi (a classic, popular for audience participation
                      with repeated "soran, soran, soran, soran, hai hai!" with a
                      clap on each "so"! -- in fact, keep the clapping up through
                      the song, like a metronome beat.)
                      http://bito2.tsukaeru.jp/So-ranbushiyoshida.htm

                      *******

                      Now for another site.

                      This one is a wonderful resource -- if you can read
                      Japanese. What it is is a huge online warehouse of
                      traditional Japanese songs with lyrics and midi or mp3 files
                      of the tunes (so you can sing along). Of course to be able
                      to use it, you need to be able to read Japanese; but I'm
                      listing it here as it's a great resource. It's an
                      encyclopedic list of old, trad, lullaby, kids' (including
                      the "traditional Japanese" "bear in the woods"), and
                      "nostalgic" (many WWII -- including my old fave, "Subaru")
                      J. songs. The words on the page with the midi, and each song
                      has its own page.

                      The link is:
                      http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/00_songs.html

                      On the page, the songs all appear "alphabetically" by the
                      so-called 50-sound order (a, i, u, e, o, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko...)

                      Faves and songs of note:

                      Subaru (a depressing WWII song about soldiers going to their
                      fate, bidding farewell to the stars that govern their destiny;
                      "We are going -- farewell, O ye stars")
                      http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/subaru.html

                      Soran bushi (so you can hear the tune w/o words in the way)
                      http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/soranbushi.html

                      Yosaku
                      http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/yosaku.html

                      Chakkiri bushi
                      http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/chakkiribushi.html

                      Ushiwaka maru
                      http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/ushiwaka.html

                      Fuji no yama
                      http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/fujiyama.html

                      Bear in the Woods
                      http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/morinokuma.html
                      Yesterday
                      http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/yesterday.html
                      (okay, I'm kidding about these two)

                      Aa, jinsei ni namida ari (Ah, there are tears in life -- the
                      theme song of the TV series Mito Komon)
                      http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/aajinseini.html

                      ********

                      Next is a site called "The world of minyo" -- it's a
                      Japanese site, of course, but a good resource. The link is:
                      http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/nihon-minyou/

                      One of the pages on that site has midi downloads (just
                      music, no words):
                      http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/nihon-minyou/dl/dl.htm

                      Soran bushi
                      http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/douyou-syouka/03nihon/souran_s.mid

                      Kuroda bushi
                      http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/douyou-syouka/03nihon/kuroda_s.mid

                      *******

                      I hope this is of some help.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 12, 2006
                          JESSICA DODGE wrote:

                          > THANK YOU! This will take me a while to explore, but this is great. I
                          > will certianly indever to learn some period songs, or at least period
                          > sounding.

                          Glad to help. <G>