English words to...

  • JESSICA DODGE
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
      I am looking for the translation of an old Japanese folk song called "Dona Dona Dona"
      It is about a cow going to market.

      I was also wondering if anyone has any information on this song. (time period, region, that kind of thing) thanks Bunches,
      Hotaru

    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
        JESSICA DODGE wrote:
        > I am looking for the translation of an old Japanese folk song called
        > "Dona Dona Dona"
        > It is about a cow going to market.
        >
        > I was also wondering if anyone has any information on
        this song. (time
        > period, region, that kind of thing) thanks Bunches,

        This one set off my "smell-o-meter." Why do cows go to
        market? To be sold for meat. Japan historically did not eat
        beef, did not drink milk, and except for a few Nara/Heian
        centuries, did not eat cheese.

        Something didn't seem right.

        If it *did* exist, I figured it was a translation of
        something European.

        So I went digging. I found the words (a couple of
        variations, actually. But more important, on
        http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~hiroko.k/sukonbu/donadona.html
        I found this:

        DONA DONA

        (Original Yiddish words by Aaron Zeitlin and Shalom Secunda;
        English translation by Arthur Kevess and Teddi Schwartz)

        On a wagon bound for market
        There's a calf with a mournful eye.
        High above him there's a swallow
        Winging swiftly through the sky.

        How the winds are laughing
        They laugh with all their might
        Laugh and laugh the whole day through
        And half the summer's night.

        Dona dona dona dona
        Dona dona dona down
        Dona dona dona dona
        Dona dona dona down

        "Stop complaining," said the farmer,
        "Who told you a calf to be"
        Why don't you have wings to fly away
        Like the swallow so proud and free?"

        Calves are easily bound and slaughtered
        Never knowing the reason why.
        But whoever treasures freedom,
        Like the swallow must learn to fly

        Words by Arthur Kevess and Teddi Schwartz
        (C) 1940 Mills Music Inc.

        Not only non-Japanese, but INCREDIBLY post-Period. <G>

        Anthony J. Bryant
        Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

        All sorts of cool things Japanese and SCA:
        http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
      • JESSICA DODGE
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
          Thank you, for the info. Please, please please, do not take this the wrong way.
          You said "Not only non-Japanese, but INCREDIBLY post-Period"
          I really don't care. I am a beginning bard with very very little memorized, and even less research cababilities at the mommnet. I want some japanese songs. untill I can find something other than "Sakura" to sing, I will sing what I can find.

          Again, please please please do not take this as being rude. I have very high respect for you, and try to soak up everything you say. (you have are much more knowledgeable and experienced than I) And I really do thank you very much for your information.

          <bowing low and humble>
          Hotaru
          (please don't chop off my head)

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@y...> wrote:

            > Thank you, for the info. Please, please please, do not take this the
            wrong way.
            > You said "Not only non-Japanese, but INCREDIBLY post-Period"

            Which begs the question, can anyone recommend some songs that are?
            Recordings? Lyrics in romanji (sorry - can't manage real Japanese)?
            Midi files, even? I would be interested, it's just something I haven't
            gotten around to looking for myself and a shove in the right direction
            would be most welcome.

            > I really don't care.
            Which begs the question - no, I am NOT going to go there.

            Hotaru-hime, if you want Western material that is at least period for
            the SCA, drop me a note offline and I can direct you to a big,
            heaping, steaming pile of useful information, much of it readily
            available on-lline. (My European alter ego is a period music geek - in
            fact, she will be teaching some easy songs at Estrella.)

            Saionji no Hanae
          • JESSICA DODGE
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
              Woeford-dono
              If that is the case, I will see you at estrella and will be most happy to take your class! (as i enjoyed the costuming class at known world, I would expect to enjoy your music class) I am trying to memorize some "entertianment" I most recntly memorized "The Yarn of the Nancy Bell" I won a bardic competion with it. I play recorder, drums and anythig I can get my musically incined hands on.

              i hope to see you there!
              Hotaru
              (or Helena panier)
              I will push you in a direction at the war!

              .

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006

                Greetings from Solveig! Do you want to sing premodern Japanese songs,
                Japanese songs, or just songs in general? I have books of Japanese
                children's songs, there are books of ko'uta around, &c. Would you
                possibly be interested in reciting stories while playing the biwa? (The
                biwa is a kind of lute.)

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006

                  Greetings from Solveig! Do you want to sing in English or in Japanese?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 10, 2006
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
                    wrote:

                    > Do you want to sing premodern Japanese songs,
                    > Japanese songs, or just songs in general?

                    I, for one, would be interested in pre-1600 songs in Japanese.

                    Saionji no Hanae,
                    Province of the Mists, West Kingdom
                  • JESSICA DODGE
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 11, 2006
                      Well, I would like to sing period stuff. However,right now, I will sing anything I can find. As far as music is concerned, I haven't run across anything with words in perios exept for "Sakura" And that is only becuase a friend of mine recommened it.

                      I did track down a something. When I have time to do more research on it, It is my hope that it will open up a needed area in Bardic Activites in Calontir.
                      Hotaru

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 12, 2006
                        I think part of the problem I have is that the original song
                        referenced is not only VERY non-period, it's not even Japanese.

                        There is a certain "period-ish song" tolerance in the SCA --
                        look at all those Steeleye Span songs, Clancy Brothers
                        tunes, and so on. Not to mention all the NEW songs written
                        by musicians in the SCA, and the filk... One wonders about
                        traditional folksongs -- many of which, like typical
                        "Brothers Grimm" tales, are only a few centuries old.

                        Certainly singing a song in a foreign language that most
                        don't understand could render even a ballad about the 1968
                        student riots incomprehensible, so... Would one sing "Red
                        River Valley," "Santa Luccia," or "Katyusha" in a pre-1600
                        setting? I doubt it.

                        One of the big problems with Japanese songs -- especially
                        kids' songs and folk songs -- is that the more recent the
                        song, the more "westernized" the tune is going to be. Even
                        when it sounds really Japanese -- like enka, which is
                        *extremely* Japanese in flavor -- it tends to sound more modern.

                        That being said, I'm going to help you cheat. <G>

                        The easy way, barring finding real, guaranteed period things
                        like kouta and Noh pieces and so on, is to try traditional
                        Japanese folksongs that preserve or suggest a traiditonal
                        and historical flavor.

                        What you really want to look for are minyo (or min'you) --
                        folksongs. They tend to be fairly short (yay!) but, like
                        much traditional Japanese vocal music, require some
                        interesting vocal gymnastics. They also tend to have
                        repeated short nonsense words/verses (cf. English "With a
                        hey lolly lilly lally loodee loodee dee") -- these repeated
                        bits can sometimes be popularly joined in on by the audience
                        as a sort of participatory element. Clapping to the beat of
                        a fastish song (like an old fave, Soran Bushi), helps get
                        the audience into the song -- whether the lyrics are English
                        or Japanese.

                        *******

                        First, let me introduce you to the site of an acquaintence
                        of mine from Sci.lang.japan. Ito-san has a weird hobby (like
                        I'm one to talk!) -- he likes translating old, traditional
                        songs into English, and then recording them.

                        I think some of the translations are a bit clunky in places,
                        but he was trying to preserve the syllable count. You also
                        might enjoy some of the enka (often called "Japanese blues"
                        -- I *love* enka) -- I particularly like Yosaku, which could
                        -- thematically -- pass as a period piece, although it is
                        modern.

                        If you decide you want to sing any of them in Japan, let me
                        know what you like and I'll try to find romanized lyrics --
                        barring that, I'll try to get some done for you.

                        Ito-san's site: http://www8.ocn.ne.jp/~bito/

                        Songs worth noting:

                        Ushiwaka-maru (telling of Yoshitsune's encounter with Benkei
                        on the Gojo Bridge)
                        http://members10.tsukaeru.net/bito/Ushiwakamaru.htm

                        Fuji no yama http://bungito.hp.infoseek.co.jp/FujinoYama.htm

                        Yosaku http://bungito-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/YosakuFluteJas.htm

                        Kuroda Bushi (a classic minyo; "bushi" is a type of folk
                        song -- it has nothing to do with "warrior" -- although in
                        THIS song the word is VERY clearly a pun. I love this song.
                        BTW, it's a drinking song)
                        http://bungito.hp.infoseek.co.jp/KurodaBushi.htm

                        Tabaru-zaka (Tabaru slopes)
                        http://bungito.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Tabaruzaka.htm

                        Chakkiri bushi (lots of repeated "chakkiri" to get audience
                        participation!)
                        http://bungito-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Chakkiribushi.htm

                        Soran bushi (a classic, popular for audience participation
                        with repeated "soran, soran, soran, soran, hai hai!" with a
                        clap on each "so"! -- in fact, keep the clapping up through
                        the song, like a metronome beat.)
                        http://bito2.tsukaeru.jp/So-ranbushiyoshida.htm

                        *******

                        Now for another site.

                        This one is a wonderful resource -- if you can read
                        Japanese. What it is is a huge online warehouse of
                        traditional Japanese songs with lyrics and midi or mp3 files
                        of the tunes (so you can sing along). Of course to be able
                        to use it, you need to be able to read Japanese; but I'm
                        listing it here as it's a great resource. It's an
                        encyclopedic list of old, trad, lullaby, kids' (including
                        the "traditional Japanese" "bear in the woods"), and
                        "nostalgic" (many WWII -- including my old fave, "Subaru")
                        J. songs. The words on the page with the midi, and each song
                        has its own page.

                        The link is:
                        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/00_songs.html

                        On the page, the songs all appear "alphabetically" by the
                        so-called 50-sound order (a, i, u, e, o, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko...)

                        Faves and songs of note:

                        Subaru (a depressing WWII song about soldiers going to their
                        fate, bidding farewell to the stars that govern their destiny;
                        "We are going -- farewell, O ye stars")
                        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/subaru.html

                        Soran bushi (so you can hear the tune w/o words in the way)
                        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/soranbushi.html

                        Yosaku
                        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/yosaku.html

                        Chakkiri bushi
                        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/chakkiribushi.html

                        Ushiwaka maru
                        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/ushiwaka.html

                        Fuji no yama
                        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/fujiyama.html

                        Bear in the Woods
                        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/morinokuma.html
                        Yesterday
                        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/yesterday.html
                        (okay, I'm kidding about these two)

                        Aa, jinsei ni namida ari (Ah, there are tears in life -- the
                        theme song of the TV series Mito Komon)
                        http://www.mahoroba.ne.jp/~gonbe007/hog/shouka/aajinseini.html

                        ********

                        Next is a site called "The world of minyo" -- it's a
                        Japanese site, of course, but a good resource. The link is:
                        http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/nihon-minyou/

                        One of the pages on that site has midi downloads (just
                        music, no words):
                        http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/nihon-minyou/dl/dl.htm

                        Soran bushi
                        http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/douyou-syouka/03nihon/souran_s.mid

                        Kuroda bushi
                        http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~pst/douyou-syouka/03nihon/kuroda_s.mid

                        *******

                        I hope this is of some help.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 12, 2006
                            JESSICA DODGE wrote:

                            > THANK YOU! This will take me a while to explore, but this is great. I
                            > will certianly indever to learn some period songs, or at least period
                            > sounding.

                            Glad to help. <G>