Japanese dance question

  • Chiffon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2006
      Hello all,
      In the past you have been extremely helpful, for which I am deeply
      grateful. (As are the teens who benefitted from your advice.)
      But alas! No good deed goes unpunished, so I am once again seeking
      your wisdom.
      Are there any guides to Japanese dance in the SCA time period? I'm
      afraid I have spent hours and hours and am not getting any answers I
      can use to try to re-create it. (Although I am providing hours of
      entertainment simply by trying to pronounce the names of the dances...)
      I would appreciate any help you can give me and also any advice on
      music/sources of music for any dances.
      Unfortunately, I do not read or speak Japanese.
      Thank you for all your help,
      Chiffon
    • JESSICA DODGE
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2006
        Japanese dancing in multiple forms seems to be a lacking subject. I have been trying to research the "kagura" For my Shinto Shrine, but alas the information is lacking. If you do happen to run across anything, let me know, And I will do the same.
        Yours inService,
        Hoataru
        (or Helena)

        Chiffon <shibhan@...> wrote:
        Hello all,
        In the past you have been extremely helpful, for which I am deeply
        grateful. (As are the teens who benefitted from your advice.)
        But alas! No good deed goes unpunished, so I am once again seeking
        your wisdom.
        Are there any guides to Japanese dance in the SCA time period? I'm
        afraid I have spent hours and hours and am not getting any answers I
        can use to try to re-create it. (Although I am providing hours of
        entertainment simply by trying to pronounce the names of the dances...)
        I would appreciate any help you can give me and also any advice on
        music/sources of music for any dances.
        Unfortunately, I do not read or speak Japanese.
        Thank you for all your help,
        Chiffon

        ---------------------------------

      • Lynn Neumann

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 10, 2006

            > Are there any guides to Japanese dance in the SCA time period? I'm
            > afraid I have spent hours and hours and am not getting any answers I
            > can use to try to re-create it. (Although I am providing hours of
            > entertainment simply by trying to pronounce the names of the dances...)

            What sort of dance are you looking for? I should point out that there
            is little if any evidence for social dance in premodern Japan. However,
            there are quite a few premodern dance forms to choose from. There are
            of course various folk dances associated with Obon some of which date
            to around 1600. Some of these are documented in a book published years
            ago by the Japan Tourist Bureau. The Noh theatre is centered on dance
            and was the prefered theatre of buke class. Bugaku was a dance form of
            the kuge class. There is also kagura, kowakamai, dengaku, various dance
            forms of Buddhism, the ritual "dances" (such as the tanksgiving dance)
            encountered in the monogatari literature of the Heian period, &c. I
            should point that Kabuki and Buyo are both pretty much post-period.