Re: [SCA-JML] Fwd: Seeking Japanese Heraldry Info/ help

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 24, 2005
      Ii dono!

      Greetings from Solveig! You are unlikely to have name order problems in
      Japanese sources. There is a lot of problem with names in English
      sources. Generally, the preface or introduction will tell you how they
      are treating names. Some writers even prefer to put family name last
      for Meiji era and later Japanese with family name first for pre-Meiji
      Japanese. This can be particularly confusing when they write about
      people whose public lives overlap 1868. Usually, only rather popular
      texts will give the family name of premodern Japanese last. As for all
      in captials. You can try taking that up with the editors of Monumenta
      Nipponica and the Journal of Asian Studies, but I doubt that editors of
      popular texts will pay any attention at all.