Heian period hiogi from dig at Nitta

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2005
      Success! I found the link again after having stumbled across it about
      a week ago and stupidly forgetting to bookmark it.
      http://www.komakino.jp/h16-ao-nitta-gensetu/h16-ao-nitta-gensetu.html

      If the Google translation engine has gotten this right, the dig at
      Nitta unearthed artifacts dating from the late Heian period, including
      a cypress fan in a very good state of preservation.

      There are clearly four thread holes visible at the upper end of the
      slats. The slats are wider at top than bottom, which I haven't seen in
      other hiogi, such as the Muromachi one in the Miho museum that Ki-hime
      turned us onto when she posted about the fan she made.
      http://www.miho.or.jp/booth/html/artcon/00001861e.htm

      The photo is very dark but I suspect the pivot is done with some sort
      of pin or rivet, as there appears to be something in the hole and a
      knotted cord pivot would likely have rotted out as the original silk
      has at the top of the fan.

      Saionji no Hanae, Province of the Mists, West Kingdom
    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2005
        --- wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

        > Success! I found the link again after having
        > stumbled across it about
        > a week ago and stupidly forgetting to bookmark it.

        http://www.komakino.jp/h16-ao-nitta-gensetu/h16-ao-nitta-gensetu.html

        Cool! Thanks Saionji-hime!

        Ki no Izumi

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 24, 2005
          Noble Cousins!

          Greetings from Solveig! At a guess the upper three holes in each slat
          in:

          > http://www.miho.or.jp/booth/html/artcon/00001861e.htm

          were decorative with a silk cord passing only through the lower fourth
          hole. Incidentally, this thing appears to have been unearthed in the
          wilds of the far North.