Re: [SCA-JML] Fwd: Seeking Japanese Heraldry Info/ help

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 22, 2005
      chris hansen wrote:
      > Greetings,
      > I would beg most respectfully to differ with you.
      > My reaserch is that Suenaga were among earliest retainers Hojo. One of
      > thier members played a proinent role agianst the mongol invasion in 1274
      > and was on the battlefield during the second invasion.

      I hate to tell you this, but Takezaki Suenaga was not "a
      Suenaga." In his case, "Suenaga" was his given name, not his
      surname. There is no familial connection.

      It's that simple. No connection.

      > They then
      > disapear from readily availible liturature for 200 years. Reapearing as
      > the holders of Noda Castle in Mikawa during the first half of the 16th
      > century although they had lost control of it by the time it was besieged
      > by Takeda Shingen.

      That may be possible, but of the 8,000 odd entries in the
      Sengoku Jinmei Jiten, only TWO people with that surname
      appear -- neither of them down in central Honshu. The ones
      who DO appear were vassals of the Kasai, who governed Mutsu
      for a few centuries (until the Date came along <G>).

      > there is also a refence to them holding another
      > fortress prior to thier occupation of Noda Castle

      Well, I can't find any references here or online for a
      Suenaga as joshu of Noda castle. The only time "Suenaga"
      shows up with "Noda castle" in my searches shows a modern
      author named Suenaga Katsusuke whose book happens to be
      mentioned somewhere on the same page as Noda Castle has a
      mention. And it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the
      castle.

      Noda was a small castle, with a garrison size of about 400
      samurai, and was held by the Imagawa before the Tokugawa
      (who held it during Shingen's failed assault of 1573).
      Though either the Imagawa or Tokugawa *may* have assigned
      someone named Sunenaga to be the garrison commander, there's
      no indication in *my* records -- or that I can find -- that
      the castle was held by anyone with that name.During
      Shingen's assault, the garrison commander was Suganuma
      Sadamitsu, aided by Matsudaira Tadamasa. Suganuma was put
      into that position in 1561.

      I've just looked over a dozen histories of Noda, and none
      mentioned the name Suenaga. It was built first by Suganuma
      Sadanori (possibly read Sadatoki; the grandfather of
      Sadamitsu) in 1505-08 -- so it seems to have been in
      Suganuma hands through their vassalage to the Imagawa
      through their tenure under the Tokugawa. No Suenagas.

      Barring any clearer documentation, it seems you were given
      some erroneous data.

      >In the modern era they
      > are a promienent family in Japan with many members in teaching in
      > higher education and at least one B movie actress (Haruka).

      I haven't verified this, but the chance that she's really a
      Suenaga are about 1 out of 100. Japanese entertainers almost
      *always* take a stage name -- especially if they're "boin
      tarento."

      > They are
      > also a respected part of the japanese comunity in Hawaii and the San
      > Fracisco area. During the second world war the head of the Clan who at
      > that time was a resident of Hawaii was interred in southern Colorado for
      > the duration of the war in protest he has refused to speak english since
      > 1942.

      Well, I can't speak to any of this -- but for the record,
      you're talking about a household, a family, not a clan. The
      Suenaga -- such as they may have been -- were never so
      mighty or numerous to rank "clan" status, as at all periods
      the families bearing that surname (such as they existed at
      all) were vassal houses of apparently second- or third-rate
      lords in the first place.

      The only two I can find any reference to as having any
      authority were in the mid 16th century under the Kisai, and
      though one was a garrison commander he was also implicated
      in the plot to assassinate his lord during battle with a
      rival lord. Sorry, but in all family histories there may be
      found a horse-thief; but in this case, this is the only
      person of note in Sengoku history (apparently) to have had
      that surname.

      Anthony J. Bryant
      Website: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

      All sorts of cool things Japanese and SCA:
      http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 22, 2005
        Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.) wrote:

        > I did find a Suenaga in the 13th century who commissioned the Mongol
        > Invasion scrolls. The use of 'clan' can be misleading. E.g. 'Clan' as in
        > Minamoto and Taira or as in any family group (e.g. the Hojo, who were a
        > cadet family of the Taira, and often called 'Taira' when referred to in the
        > Taiheiki). Was this fellow actually the head of a recognized uji, or simply
        > the head of the Suenaga family that had come over from Japan?

        The Suenaga here was Takezaki Suenaga -- he was from the
        Takezaki family, not the Suenaga family.

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 23, 2005
          On 12/22/05, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:

          > The Suenaga here was Takezaki Suenaga -- he was from the
          > Takezaki family, not the Suenaga family.

          Okay, that makes sense.... sigh--I hate the ambiguities of name order
          in English translations. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to
          adopt the practice of always entering the surname in CAPS... but then
          how do you deal with Family v. Clan name, etc.... Arrrggghhh!

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 24, 2005
            Noble Cousin!

            Greetings from Solveig! As I wrote, while there may be a Suenaga family
            (and it really isn't all that prominent or it would have showed up in
            one of the sources I cited), it is almost certainly not a clan. You
            really have to try to understand that creation of real clans was
            controlled by the emperor after about 700 CE. A clan is a larger
            kinship group than a family and usually members of a clan have family
            names which are different from the clan name. For example, you might
            have a family name of Tanaka and belong to the Fujiwara clan. If you
            are really certain that the ancestors of the person in question
            possessed a castle, then you should try looking up the history of the
            castle in question. Another possibility is that if they were around for
            the battle of sekigahara, then you can try looking them up in
            "Sekigahara Kasen ni Manabu" which has the kamon for each of the big
            wigs which showed up for that battle. If the Suenaga were retainers of
            the Hojo, then they were most likely NOT a clan they were a family. One
            thing that can confuse you is that families often had heads. Finally,
            if you want someone to try looking up the Suenaga for you, then you
            have to give the exact kanji representation of the name as there are at
            least two common variants.

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 24, 2005
              Noble Cousin!

              Greetings from Solveig! I too have a copy of Sengoku Jinmei Jiten, and
              Baron Edward is right. There are only two Suenaga. They appear to have
              been a father/son pair, and were never particularly distinguished. The
              elder Suenaga was the master of a very small castle (apparently a
              fortified temple) for a while, but not the one you wrote about.
              Further, it is somewhat unlikely that your friend's family can
              definitively trace their ancestry to this pair. You need to understand
              that the majority of Japanese family names only date to the nineteenth
              century. Although, if I were picking a family name in the nineteenth
              century, I might have invented more illustrious ancestors. If you have
              substantial research about the ancestry of this family, then please
              share it with us citing sources. Then, perhaps, someone here can be of
              greater assistance.

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 24, 2005
                Ii dono!

                Greetings from Solveig! You are unlikely to have name order problems in
                Japanese sources. There is a lot of problem with names in English
                sources. Generally, the preface or introduction will tell you how they
                are treating names. Some writers even prefer to put family name last
                for Meiji era and later Japanese with family name first for pre-Meiji
                Japanese. This can be particularly confusing when they write about
                people whose public lives overlap 1868. Usually, only rather popular
                texts will give the family name of premodern Japanese last. As for all
                in captials. You can try taking that up with the editors of Monumenta
                Nipponica and the Journal of Asian Studies, but I doubt that editors of
                popular texts will pay any attention at all.