Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Help With Lacing Pattern of Shitagarami

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 11, 2005
      On 12/11/05, men_yoroi <men_yoroi@...> wrote:

      > I am stuck on a similar area.
      > I am planning on making a proper o-yoroi armour. I am working from
      > Effinhams website but an unsure of kebiki lacing in the dofor hon-
      > kozane. Whereas there is sinew or similar used in suguke lacing to
      > keep the do solid, I dont know how to do this with kebiki as the
      > bottom 4 rows are used for the shitagarami.
      > Any help would be extremely useful!
      > Thanks

      "Note that, contrary to common misconception, laced Japanese armour � at
      least in modern styles � does *not* move, and the lames are not flexible.
      The armour is held rigid by way of special pieces of lacing called "*
      tomegawa*" (lit. "stopping leathers"). If the *d�* you are making is laced,
      whether only for one lame or in entirety, you must open special holes in
      your plates in addition to those for the *odoshi* itself for these *
      tomegawa.* *Tomegawa* are short lengths of fine cord (I recommend artificial
      sinew) that pass through these holes and the upper-most row of lacing holes.
      This is what makes laced armours rigid. For *sugake odoshi,* there is one
      set of holes per row of lacing; for *kebiki,* it is one set of holes every
      3" or so." - A. J. Bryant, "Nihon Katchu Seisakuben -- An Online Japanese
      Armour Manual: Making the Do",
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.ch07.html

      So, even though you are using those holes for the shitagarami, you are also
      going to use it for the tomegawa as well, just as you would have both the
      sugake-odoshi and the tomegawa through the same holes. Does that make
      sense?

      -Joshua B.

    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 11, 2005
        On 12/11/05, Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.) <tatsushu@...> wrote:
        > On 12/11/05, men_yoroi <men_yoroi@...> wrote:
        > > I am stuck on a similar area.
        > > I am planning on making a proper o-yoroi armour. I am working from
        > > Effinhams website but an unsure of kebiki lacing in the dofor hon-
        > > kozane. Whereas there is sinew or similar used in suguke lacing to
        > > keep the do solid, I dont know how to do this with kebiki as the
        > > bottom 4 rows are used for the shitagarami.
        > > Any help would be extremely useful!
        > > Thanks
        >
        > "Note that, contrary to common misconception, laced Japanese armour — at
        > least in modern styles — does not move, and the lames are not flexible. The
        > armour is held rigid by way of special pieces of lacing called " tomegawa"
        > (lit. "stopping leathers"). If the dô you are making is laced, whether only
        > for one lame or in entirety, you must open special holes in your plates in
        > addition to those for the odoshi itself for these tomegawa. Tomegawa are
        > short lengths of fine cord (I recommend artificial sinew) that pass through
        > these holes and the upper-most row of lacing holes. This is what makes laced
        > armours rigid. For sugake odoshi, there is one set of holes per row of
        > lacing; for kebiki, it is one set of holes every 3" or so." - A. J. Bryant,
        > "Nihon Katchu Seisakuben -- An Online Japanese Armour Manual: Making the
        > Do", http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.ch07.html
        >
        > So, even though you are using those holes for the shitagarami, you are also
        > going to use it for the tomegawa as well, just as you would have both the
        > sugake-odoshi and the tomegawa through the same holes. Does that make
        > sense?

        Okay, I just talked to Hiraizumi-dono and had some clarifications
        made: O-yoroi don't use the tomegawa at all. If they aren't held up
        by the leather, o-yoroi would basically collapse. The lames are
        solid, but they aren't apparently held rigid in to each other.