Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Hitatare questions

  • Tim McShane
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2005
      Thanks to everyone who supplied such helpful responses!

      - Shiro

    • Sean Malloy
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
        <tatsushu@g...> wrote:
        > 2) Tie a small piece of thread around the end. Basically wrap the end
        > tightly for a centimeter or so, and then pull the ends together. It's
        > called 'whipping', and you can see it done on rope right here:
        > http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/AwhipV.html

        That method of whipping works, but it's hard to get tight. The way I
        learned -- and which you can find in _Ashley's Book of Knots_ is to
        make a long, narrow loop in the thread at one end about half-again as
        long as the diameter of the cord, and lay it along the cord where you
        want the whipping to go. Then, holding the two ends of the loop down,
        you start wrapping (whipping) the cord tightly, just as the animation
        above shows, until you've whipped about the same length as the
        diameter of the cord. Then you put the end of the thread through the
        loop sticking out from under the whipping, hold it tight, and pull on
        the other end of the thread (which is sticking out from under the
        whipping on the other end); this pulls a loop of the end you stuck
        through the loop under the whipping, where the tight whipping will
        hold both ends in place. Then you cut off the ends close to the whipping.