Re: [SCA-JML] Paper folding for VERY personal adornment (Am I Period or Not?)

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
      I believe the question was whether or not 'Kokigami' can actually be found
      referenced in the Kojiki.

      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
        Ii dono!

        Greetings from Solveig!

        > I believe the question was whether or not 'Kokigami' can actually be
        > found
        > referenced in the Kojiki.

        Not only does "kokigami" not appear in four kogojiten that I consulted,
        it does not appear in Daijirin either. Neither does kookigami nor
        koukigami. So what exactly are people trying to look up?

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005

          Greetings from Solveig! There is a "Kouki" in the Nihongi and the
          Kojiki, but this refers to the establishment of the imperial line by
          Jinmu Tennou. Unless Daijirin is more prudish than I think it is,
          Similarly, Kogorin does not appear to have heard of them. I suspect
          that his is at least in part something that someone made up to
          entertain North Americans. Does someone have an actual quote from the
          Kojiki? I believe that there may be an online version of the Kojiki at
          the University of Virginia Japanese Text Project.

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
            <tatsushu@g...> wrote:

            > > Also, does anyone have suggestions on what materials to use and
            how to make
            > > the decorative knots over the seams on the upper part of the hitatare?

            Round cord (as opposed to the flat cord for the sleeves). Go to a
            store that stocks sewing and upholstery supplies. I bought plain white
            flat cord and round cord (drapery cord!) made of cotton for my "boy
            clothes."

            Here's a very nice detail photo showing the shapes of the figure-8
            knots, as well as the collar ties and sleeve ties - this is a modern
            hitatare with slits rather than the "belt loops" sewn into the sleeves.

            http://www.yusoku.com/hitatare-asa.jpg

            Saionji
          • Park McKellop

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2005
                Thanks to everyone who supplied such helpful responses!

                - Shiro

              • Sean Malloy
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 6, 2005
                  <tatsushu@g...> wrote:
                  > 2) Tie a small piece of thread around the end. Basically wrap the end
                  > tightly for a centimeter or so, and then pull the ends together. It's
                  > called 'whipping', and you can see it done on rope right here:
                  > http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/AwhipV.html

                  That method of whipping works, but it's hard to get tight. The way I
                  learned -- and which you can find in _Ashley's Book of Knots_ is to
                  make a long, narrow loop in the thread at one end about half-again as
                  long as the diameter of the cord, and lay it along the cord where you
                  want the whipping to go. Then, holding the two ends of the loop down,
                  you start wrapping (whipping) the cord tightly, just as the animation
                  above shows, until you've whipped about the same length as the
                  diameter of the cord. Then you put the end of the thread through the
                  loop sticking out from under the whipping, hold it tight, and pull on
                  the other end of the thread (which is sticking out from under the
                  whipping on the other end); this pulls a loop of the end you stuck
                  through the loop under the whipping, where the tight whipping will
                  hold both ends in place. Then you cut off the ends close to the whipping.