Re: [SCA-JML] Hitatare questions

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
      On 12/2/05, Tim McShane <mcshanet@...> wrote:
      > Do the wrist cords of the hitatare run through loops the way a belt runs
      > through belt loops on a pair of pants?

      That is one way of doing it. Another is to slit the fabric very
      carefully at regular intervals just wide enough for the cords.

      > If so, are the loops made of the
      > same material as the hitatare, or are they the material of the wrist cords?

      The loops, if used, always seem to be the same as the hitatare--I've
      never seen solid color for the hitatare wrist cord, which you would
      see if it was the same as the cord (which should usually be some form
      of kumihimo, probably).

      > What's the proper material for the cords, and are they always white?

      Silk cords would be proper, if hard to find. You can have other
      colors, but white appears to be the main color you will find.

      > Also, does anyone have suggestions on what materials to use and how to make
      > the decorative knots over the seams on the upper part of the hitatare?

      Those knots are the same kind of cord as the sleeves, usually. To
      make the knot, you just need to do a type of figure eight--not sure
      where you could find instructions, but playing with it you could
      probably figure something out.

      > expect they're originally silk kumihimo (tough to find silk braiding 'round
      > here...); I'm sure I can find some round nylon cord, but I'd be afraid of it
      > unravelling (and can't imagine how unsightly burned ends would look in this
      > use...) Or, do the ends of the cords pass into the garment seam, and get
      > sewn up in it?

      No, they don't get sewn up into it, but there are tricks for not
      having them unravel:

      1) Tie the end in a knot. This is the easiest thing to do. Sure,
      things after the knot will unravel, but a good knot should hold for
      you.

      2) Tie a small piece of thread around the end. Basically wrap the end
      tightly for a centimeter or so, and then pull the ends together. It's
      called 'whipping', and you can see it done on rope right here:
      http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/AwhipV.html

      -Ii
    • Ellen Badgley
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
        > > What's the proper material for the cords, and are they always white?
        >
        > Silk cords would be proper, if hard to find. You can have other
        > colors, but white appears to be the main color you will find.

        We have used long white shoelaces around here-- they work pretty well.

        If you can find a two-color flat kumihimo-type cord, that would work too.

        -Aine
      • Tracie Ellis
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
          I think you can find silk cording at a craft store, perhaps a little
          expensive, but usable, and in different colors. And my favorite source for
          beading materials only has silk thread on cards (probably useful for
          Kumihimo)...

          Miriel

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
            Noble Cousin!

            Greetings from Solveig! While the Nihongi and the Kojiki have largely
            the same content, the Nihongi is generally considered to be
            "historical" while the Kojiki is generally considered to be
            "religious". Regardless, both are "ligit" in the sense that neither of
            them are supposed to be satirical.

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005

              > Those knots are the same kind of cord as the sleeves, usually. To
              > make the knot, you just need to do a type of figure eight--not sure
              > where you could find instructions, but playing with it you could
              > probably figure something out.

              The knot is probably illustrated in the Japanese book "Musubi".

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
                I believe the question was whether or not 'Kokigami' can actually be found
                referenced in the Kojiki.

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
                  Ii dono!

                  Greetings from Solveig!

                  > I believe the question was whether or not 'Kokigami' can actually be
                  > found
                  > referenced in the Kojiki.

                  Not only does "kokigami" not appear in four kogojiten that I consulted,
                  it does not appear in Daijirin either. Neither does kookigami nor
                  koukigami. So what exactly are people trying to look up?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
                    Noble Cousins!

                    Greetings from Solveig! There is a "Kouki" in the Nihongi and the
                    Kojiki, but this refers to the establishment of the imperial line by
                    Jinmu Tennou. Unless Daijirin is more prudish than I think it is,
                    Similarly, Kogorin does not appear to have heard of them. I suspect
                    that his is at least in part something that someone made up to
                    entertain North Americans. Does someone have an actual quote from the
                    Kojiki? I believe that there may be an online version of the Kojiki at
                    the University of Virginia Japanese Text Project.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2005
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)"
                      <tatsushu@g...> wrote:

                      > > Also, does anyone have suggestions on what materials to use and
                      how to make
                      > > the decorative knots over the seams on the upper part of the hitatare?

                      Round cord (as opposed to the flat cord for the sleeves). Go to a
                      store that stocks sewing and upholstery supplies. I bought plain white
                      flat cord and round cord (drapery cord!) made of cotton for my "boy
                      clothes."

                      Here's a very nice detail photo showing the shapes of the figure-8
                      knots, as well as the collar ties and sleeve ties - this is a modern
                      hitatare with slits rather than the "belt loops" sewn into the sleeves.

                      http://www.yusoku.com/hitatare-asa.jpg

                      Saionji
                    • Park McKellop

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 5, 2005
                          Thanks to everyone who supplied such helpful responses!

                          - Shiro

                        • Sean Malloy
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 6, 2005
                            <tatsushu@g...> wrote:
                            > 2) Tie a small piece of thread around the end. Basically wrap the end
                            > tightly for a centimeter or so, and then pull the ends together. It's
                            > called 'whipping', and you can see it done on rope right here:
                            > http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/AwhipV.html

                            That method of whipping works, but it's hard to get tight. The way I
                            learned -- and which you can find in _Ashley's Book of Knots_ is to
                            make a long, narrow loop in the thread at one end about half-again as
                            long as the diameter of the cord, and lay it along the cord where you
                            want the whipping to go. Then, holding the two ends of the loop down,
                            you start wrapping (whipping) the cord tightly, just as the animation
                            above shows, until you've whipped about the same length as the
                            diameter of the cord. Then you put the end of the thread through the
                            loop sticking out from under the whipping, hold it tight, and pull on
                            the other end of the thread (which is sticking out from under the
                            whipping on the other end); this pulls a loop of the end you stuck
                            through the loop under the whipping, where the tight whipping will
                            hold both ends in place. Then you cut off the ends close to the whipping.