Re: [SCA-JML] resources

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 24, 2005
      On 11/24/05, LT <latanya.taylor@...> wrote:
      > Hello list,
      >
      > I stumbled on this and thought I would share
      >
      > http://members.aol.com/yswebshare/enjoy/history.htm

      A neat idea; I really like the way they have some samples of clothing
      and a sidebar with the events going on elsewhere in the world, so you
      can put things into a world-history context. I do have a few
      quibbles; statements like 'silk fabric remained white because they did
      not have skills to dye it' for the Yayoi period. We may make
      conjectures about that, but I don't believe we have any evidence for
      it, just as we don't have evidence for what they wore during the Jomon
      era, either, since most fabrics don't last that long unless they
      happen to be well preserved.

      Also, I notice some of the pictures are out of sync, but the author
      appears to be using them as very broad examples (e.g. the Edo-period
      kataginu-kamishimo is used for all kataginu-kamishimo). If you go to
      the top page you can see that the purpose of the page is to give an
      introduction to Japan and Japanese culture, and I think it does a good
      job as an introduction.