'Smalls' etc., was Re: A challenge to the list?

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2005
      On 11/18/05, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> wrote:

      > Point: There is a really wonderful period word for children. That word
      > is "children."
      >
      > "Smalls" is underwear.

      Actually, I recall going through this debate that the OED has 'smalls'
      as a pre-1600 English word referring to children. It's been a while,
      and I don't have my own copy of the OED :-( , but it was a debate that
      stuck in my mind. It also means 'underwear'.

      Generally, however, I am all for avoiding unneeded 'forsooth' speech,
      and 'children' is a perfectly good period word.

      Then again, 'car' is apparently a perfectly good period word: a
      shortened form of 'carriage', when the 'horseless carriage' came about
      it was still a 'carriage' and therefore a 'car'. That's another one I
      need to find again. Darn it, where do all of these good bits of
      information get to?