Re: A few over-robe questions

    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Yamana Hitomi <yamana.hitomi@c...> wrote:
      > There are a few very nice sited with instructions on how
      > to make kosode (underrobes, right?) but I haven't found anything on the
      > sleeve diffrences in the hitoe. How long are they?

      Lucky for you I'm doing some "maintenance" on my court clothing as
      indoor event season gets into full swing. ;->

      Dimensions are 16 to 16.5" panel width x 30" long (folded for for 15")
      so that gives you a 16" to 16.5" sleeve length from shoulder seam to
      somewhere beyond your hand (unless you have *really* long arms). Hitoe
      and uchigi have fully open sleeves at the wrist end and are open at
      the back below the attachment seam at the shoulder. Kosode have a
      closed front seam on the sleeve front - other than that, construction
      is pretty much the same.

      > Also from the pictures i'm looking at from the costume museum, the
      coller (eri?) seems to be about knee length on the lady wearing it.

      Correct.

      Hope this helps.
      Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 12, 2005
        Yamana Hitomi wrote:

        > Konichiwa!
        >
        > I have been reading the list for a few months and after browsing some of
        > the wonderful files on the groups site and the links offered by the
        > generous and helpfull people who frequent the list, I decided that the
        > time is right for me to ask a few questions I havn't been able to find
        > the awnser to. There are a few very nice sited with instructions on how
        > to make kosode (underrobes, right?) but I haven't found anything on the
        > sleeve diffrences in the hitoe. How long are they? The pictures I have
        > seen inply that they are open ast both the wrist and shoulder ends of
        > the sleeve, is that also the case? Also from the pictures i'm looking
        > at from the costume museum, the coller (eri?) seems to be about knee
        > length on the lady wearing it. I have made kosode and hakama (not the
        > long ones yet though) and I would like to move forward on this project
        > while I still have momentum. Again I thank all of you for the help
        > you've been so far, just by your responses to other peoples questions.
        >
        > YIS,
        >
        > Yamana no Hitomi

        Can you tell us what period you're interested in? That will make a
        difference so far as how the hitoe are made...

        Kiri
      • JESSICA DODGE
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 13, 2005

          Woeford-dodno wrote:
          > Correct.

          Hotaru asks:
          Should this be a rule of thumb? It would be nice to
          have it just to the knees.
          Hotaru Yamano

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 13, 2005
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@y...> wrote:
            > Hotaru asks:
            > Should this be a rule of thumb? It would be nice to
            > have it just to the knees.

            I've made them shorter (ran out of fabric and ended mine just below
            the waist!), but here's a screen painting from the 16th century - you
            can see the eri ending at about that length on a number of the girls'
            outer robes.

            http://tinyurl.com/asf8j

            Saionji
          • Yamana Hitomi
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 13, 2005
              Konichiwa!

              >> There are a few very nice sited with instructions on how
              >>to make kosode (underrobes, right?) but I haven't found anything on the
              >>sleeve diffrences in the hitoe. How long are they?
              >>

              >Lucky for you I'm doing some "maintenance" on my court clothing as
              >indoor event season gets into full swing. ;->
              >
              >Dimensions are 16 to 16.5" panel width x 30" long (folded for for 15")
              >so that gives you a 16" to 16.5" sleeve length from shoulder seam to
              >somewhere beyond your hand (unless you have *really* long arms). Hitoe
              >and uchigi have fully open sleeves at the wrist end and are open at
              >the back below the attachment seam at the shoulder. Kosode have a
              >closed front seam on the sleeve front - other than that, construction
              >is pretty much the same.
              >

              >>Also from the pictures i'm looking at from the costume museum, the
              >>

              >coller (eri?) seems to be about knee length on the lady wearing it.
              >
              >Correct.
              >
              >Hope this helps.
              >Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom

              Ah! but when I make the sleeves 15" they look really short, and I'm not
              tall ("about 5'3") They look about twice as long in the pictures you
              have here: http://www.wodefordhall.com/display.htm hence the confusion

              >Can you tell us what period you're interested in? That will make a
              >difference so far as how the hitoe are made...
              >
              >Kiri

              I waffle between Heian and Kamakura...I guess it depends on how lazy I
              am and what I have planned for the day.

              Thanks,

              Hitomi
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 13, 2005
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Yamana Hitomi <yamana.hitomi@c...> wrote:

                > Ah! but when I make the sleeves 15" they look really short, and I'm not
                > tall ("about 5'3") They look about twice as long in the pictures you
                > have here: http://www.wodefordhall.com/display.htm hence the confusion

                Wait, is that too long or too short? And remember, the average Asian
                lady is closer to your size than mine (5'6", Size 16 dresses)! Big and
                voluminous is the whole point of Heian styles. Conspicuous consumption
                equals wealth and importance.

                Have we met? I know I've met Tsurumi-hime and Yoshiaki-dono.....

                Saionji (Makiwara)
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 13, 2005

                  Greetings from Solveig! "kosode" literally means "short sleaves" and
                  generally refers to what Americans today might call a "kimono". The
                  sleave shape for pre-modern kosode was a bit different than what is
                  common today. Regardless, the "kosode" is not really an undergarment
                  any more than a shirt is an undergarment. In both cases, their exist
                  items of clothing which can be worn over, but not under, them.

                  Regardless, the color like part of kosode and similar garments tends to
                  be fairly long. Generally speaking, at least to waist height.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 13, 2005

                    > I waffle between Heian and Kamakura...I guess it depends on how lazy I
                    > am and what I have planned for the day.
                    It sounds to me like you like the period of about the Genpei War and
                    are waffling about whether to be kuge (aristocratic class) or buke
                    (military class).

                  • Yamana Hitomi
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 15, 2005
                      Wait, is that too long or too short? And remember, the average Asian

                      >lady is closer to your size than mine (5'6", Size 16 dresses)! Big and
                      >voluminous is the whole point of Heian styles. Conspicuous consumption
                      >equals wealth and importance.
                      >
                      >Have we met? I know I've met Tsurumi-hime and Yoshiaki-dono.....
                      >
                      >Saionji (Makiwara)

                      The 15" sleeves look too short to me. I experimented with half the body
                      length before folding, and that looked good at about 36" long finished,
                      but I wanted a second opinion. For refrence this is a cutting layout
                      that I've used.

                      http://members.cox.net/yamana.hitomi/Kimono%20Cutting%20Layout%2036.pdf

                      We have not met, but I've known Yoshiaki-dono since highschool.

                      Hitomi
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 15, 2005
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Yamana Hitomi <yamana.hitomi@c...> wrote:
                        > The 15" sleeves look too short to me. I experimented with half the
                        body
                        > length before folding, and that looked good at about 36" long finished,
                        > but I wanted a second opinion. For refrence this is a cutting layout
                        > that I've used.

                        Look at the proportions on this 16th century garment:
                        http://www3.kyohaku.go.jp/knm/pict/c019185.jpg

                        And on the kids playing in this 16th century screen:
                        http://www.wodefordhall.com/paddle2.jpg

                        Period kosode have small sleeves.

                        I'm three inches taller than you, have very long arms and a 16" to
                        16.5" X 30" sleeve panel is plenty big on me.
                        http://www.wodefordhall.com/yellowfront.jpg
                        Remember too, your shoulder seams will be well below the shoulder, so
                        that will drop the sleeve down your arm a bit.

                        Saionji