Re: [SCA-JML] Hello

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
      --- aurealfae <sanjaasuren.aureal@...> wrote:

      > I know he wants some Japanese garb and I have been
      > trying to do the
      > research on my own, but as I delve more and more
      > into it, I'm getting
      > lost. I want to make him some garb but have no clue
      > as to what all the
      > terminology is and what goes with what.

      Kyoto Costume Museum is a good place to get an idea of
      what Japanese garb of various periods looks like.
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

      Hiraizumi-sensei's website is excellent
      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/index.html

      There are several sites with excellent period basic
      construction information available.
      Saionji-hime's site:
      http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm
      Koredono-dono's site:
      http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
      also:
      http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japindex.htm

      There are PDF patterns for period men's clothes in the
      Garb Files section:

      Check the archives for other recommendations. This
      type of question is asked regularly. Best wishes in
      your endeavors.

      Ki no Izumi

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • Sanjaasuren
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005
        Thank you so much for all your help; all the information narrows it all down
        and makes it easier for me to start- when i started looking through
        everything the other day i just got lost- I had no clue what i was getting
        into- so many different styles and layers, and no idea what all the stuff
        was. Thank you because I know the question i asked has probably also been
        overdone. Hopefully I can make something he and I will both be proud of!
        aurealfae
        --
        If it's a question of whether to do what's fun or what is
        supposed to be good for you, and nobody is hurt by which-

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005

          Greetings from Solveig! The modern obi is generally wider for both
          males and females than were their premodern precursors. You should not
          in general duplicate the width of a modern obi. Others have already
          talked about the kosode, but I figured that someone should say
          something about the "obi" as well. Incidentally, the modern obi is tied
          in back. Its premodern precursors were generally tied in front.

          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
            wrote:

            > Noble Cousins!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! The modern obi is generally wider for both
            > males and females than were their premodern precursors. You should not
            > in general duplicate the width of a modern obi. Others have already
            > talked about the kosode, but I figured that someone should say
            > something about the "obi" as well. Incidentally, the modern obi is tied
            > in back. Its premodern precursors were generally tied in front.

            My web page has instructions on how to construct obi and appropriate
            pre-1600 dimensions. http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

            Apologies if any links are wonky, I've just moved to a new web host.