Hello

  • aurealfae
    Message 1 of 27 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hiya, my handle's aureal til I get an SCA name, I have a
      Mongolian/Chinese persona as a base but wear almost anything as long
      as I think its pretty. However my SCA boyfriend loves Japan; he tries
      to act like he doesnt and says he wants to match my persona but I know
      him better.....
      I know he wants some Japanese garb and I have been trying to do the
      research on my own, but as I delve more and more into it, I'm getting
      lost. I want to make him some garb but have no clue as to what all the
      terminology is and what goes with what. I want his garb to
      look "right" -not perfect- but good enough that it doesnt look like I
      have no idea what I'm doing. Can anyone point me in some kind of
      direction? I need something basic, as I am a novice sewer, but really,
      really good looking. Thank you in advance for any help and advice.
    • John Doe
      Message 2 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
        well I recomend some sites for ya

        Patterns and directions for kimono and hakama go to
        www.folkwear.com

        for kimono fabric and more go to
        http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/index.3html.htm

        Sato-San is the best if you like to get more information on kimono
        or any thing in japanese garb

        if you like Hein period costuming and textiles go to
        www.yusoku.com (japanese only)

        if you like Japanese kinran got to
        www.kinran-marukin.co.jp
        http://www.juho-tougei.com/ (japanese/english)
        they sell kinran by the yard

        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Doe <fabricboi@y...> wrote:

          > well I recomend some sites for ya
          >
          > Patterns and directions for kimono and hakama go to
          > www.folkwear.com

          Folkwear's patterns are not, repeat NOT period patterns for SCA use.
          The dimensions are different from period garments. Why pay money for a
          pattern that you will have to change - and won't KNOW how to change
          unless you do your homework?

          as there are a number of patterns for period-appropriate clothing for
          men in there.

          For a kosode (precursor of the kimono) pattern, please visit
          http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm

          http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/ has a skin-to-armor arming
          guide for the well dressed samurai - be sure to check the various
          links because a number of them have how-tos and patterns for things
          like tabi (socks), kyahan (leggings), fundoshi(loincloth) and so on.

          Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
            > as there are a number of patterns for period-appropriate clothing for
            > men in there.
            >
            > For a kosode (precursor of the kimono) pattern, please visit
            > http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm
            >
            > http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/ has a skin-to-armor arming
            > guide for the well dressed samurai - be sure to check the various
            > links because a number of them have how-tos and patterns for things
            > like tabi (socks), kyahan (leggings), fundoshi(loincloth) and so on.

            Gah! I should not try to do this before running to work.

            The most basic generic Japanese outfit you can do consists of kosode
            and hakama. Ideally he should have two kosode (one acts as an
            undershirt), cut to about knee or calf length for wear under his
            hakama. He also needs an obi (sash) to close his kosode with. A
            kataginu or hitatare will dress it up somewhat. The good news is that
            everything you have to make is based on rectangles - it's almost all
            straight lines.

            NOW I can run to work.

            Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom
          • Jennifer Kobayashi
            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 2, 2005
              --- aurealfae <sanjaasuren.aureal@...> wrote:

              > I know he wants some Japanese garb and I have been
              > trying to do the
              > research on my own, but as I delve more and more
              > into it, I'm getting
              > lost. I want to make him some garb but have no clue
              > as to what all the
              > terminology is and what goes with what.

              Kyoto Costume Museum is a good place to get an idea of
              what Japanese garb of various periods looks like.
              http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/

              Hiraizumi-sensei's website is excellent
              http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/index.html

              There are several sites with excellent period basic
              construction information available.
              Saionji-hime's site:
              http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/KosodeMadeSimple.htm
              Koredono-dono's site:
              http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
              also:
              http://www.geocities.com/anne_liese_w/Japanese/japindex.htm

              There are PDF patterns for period men's clothes in the
              Garb Files section:

              Check the archives for other recommendations. This
              type of question is asked regularly. Best wishes in
              your endeavors.

              Ki no Izumi

              __________________________________
              http://farechase.yahoo.com
            • Sanjaasuren
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005
                Thank you so much for all your help; all the information narrows it all down
                and makes it easier for me to start- when i started looking through
                everything the other day i just got lost- I had no clue what i was getting
                into- so many different styles and layers, and no idea what all the stuff
                was. Thank you because I know the question i asked has probably also been
                overdone. Hopefully I can make something he and I will both be proud of!
                aurealfae
                --
                If it's a question of whether to do what's fun or what is
                supposed to be good for you, and nobody is hurt by which-

                Message 7 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005

                  Greetings from Solveig! The modern obi is generally wider for both
                  males and females than were their premodern precursors. You should not
                  in general duplicate the width of a modern obi. Others have already
                  talked about the kosode, but I figured that someone should say
                  something about the "obi" as well. Incidentally, the modern obi is tied
                  in back. Its premodern precursors were generally tied in front.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 3, 2005
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
                    wrote:

                    > Noble Cousins!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig! The modern obi is generally wider for both
                    > males and females than were their premodern precursors. You should not
                    > in general duplicate the width of a modern obi. Others have already
                    > talked about the kosode, but I figured that someone should say
                    > something about the "obi" as well. Incidentally, the modern obi is tied
                    > in back. Its premodern precursors were generally tied in front.

                    My web page has instructions on how to construct obi and appropriate
                    pre-1600 dimensions. http://www.wodefordhall.com/kosode.htm

                    Apologies if any links are wonky, I've just moved to a new web host.