Re: [SCA-JML] Re:Request for L.A. Visit

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005

      > Currently living in frigid Northern California.

      Northern California is most definitely NOT frigid. I grew up in South
      Eastern Washington. Hitting Japan Town is definitely something to do in
      LA, but I thought that SF had a better one. For that matter, Moe's is
      the bookstore to hit in SF, Powell's the one in Portland, and Shorey's
      used to be the one to hit in Seattle. Japan town should have a branch
      of Kinokuniya, but I assure you that it is a pale shadow of the one in
      Shinjuku.

    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
        sca-jml@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
        >
        >Greetings from Solveig!
        >

        >>Currently living in frigid Northern California.
        >>

        >Northern California is most definitely NOT frigid.

        It frequently gets below 70 degrees F, that's frigid ;)

        >I grew up in South Eastern Washington.

        That's unlivable!

        >Hitting Japan Town is definitely something to do in LA, but I thought that SF had a better one.

        I think that's true, Gardena and Torrance in LA are much bettera than
        either the old LA Japantown or the SF one.

        >For that matter, Moe's is the bookstore to hit in SF, Powell's the one in Portland, and Shorey's
        >used to be the one to hit in Seattle.

        If you want books on Asia in English, the Oriental Bookstore blows all
        three away on this one subject. Possibly even the Kinokuniya in Shinjuku
        as well since they don't carry used books as well as new ones. For silly
        size, go to Smith's Acres of Books in Long Beach, it is acres of books.

        Jim Eckman
        Who's not bothered by monsoon weather in Taiwan or Indonesia or 120+ in
        Phoenix.
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005

          > If you want books on Asia in English, the Oriental Bookstore blows all
          > three away on this one subject. Possibly even the Kinokuniya in
          > Shinjuku
          > as well since they don't carry used books as well as new ones. For
          > silly
          > size, go to Smith's Acres of Books in Long Beach, it is acres of books.

          Actually, the half-floor of the Shinjuku store which is devoted to
          foreign language books is generally speaking better than many if not
          most North American bookstores for most subjects which interest me.
          However, why bother going to Shinjuku hon-ten and then restricting
          yourself to the foreign language section? The real action is on all
          those other floors crammed with all of those beautiful Japanese books!
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 14, 2011

            Greetings from Solveig! I am once again trying to put together an event proposal, and I am looking for ideas for what activities to include for a late April event.

          • Jeanel Walker
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 15, 2011
              i could picture a class that everyone is sitting down with brush and ink stone working on brush strokes like the monks do in the temple...this would get those who have never picked up a brush before the courage to try and perhaps even enjoy it...you can also start out the class with sticks and a box of sand to help give them confidence , and who knows you might be able to get some new calligraphers and illuminationst out of the deal

              is the event going to be held during e day or night? you can get some sky lanterns and light them letting them float into the sky. its a beautiful sight . and we only had three can you imagine 10 or 20 of them?
              of course you have to make sure that the wind is not above a certain speed and that theres no fire band going on. if your sight is over a lake it would be awesome to let them go off the boat and have some floating in the water =) a celebration of life. just putting out some idea

              Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
              My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

              ________________________________
              Greetings from Solveig! I am once again trying to put together an event proposal, and I am looking for ideas for what activities to include for a late April event.

            • ravensong3
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011
                I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

                Saka
              • LJonthebay
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "ravensong3" <ravens3@...> wrote:

                  > I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

                  You would not, persons addressing or referring to you would describe you as Masako-gozen, according to the chart at
                  http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/address.html

                  If you're a landed baroness, you'd be Baronyname-no-kami, evidently.

                  Hope this helps,

                  Saionji no Hana
                  Sho shichi i (until Twelfth Night)
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011

                    >> I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

                    Why do you think that 'gozen' is a titular reference for a baroness? -gozen is a sort of polite suffix attached to the name of the wives of noblemen. The other two meanings given by Kodansha Kogo Jiten are even more tangential. The primary meaning is the space in front of a noble.

                    > If you're a landed baroness, you'd be Baronyname-no-kami, evidently.

                    kami 守 is the title used by provincial governors and is appropriate if you are interested in recreating the imperial system. That is if you are interested in being a member of the kuge (courtier class).

                    If on the other hand you are interested in being a member of the buke (military class) then you are probably interested in the title shugo which were the military provincial governors. (This is the title that daimyo generally collected.)

                    Finally, there is the title in the alternative title list which was invented in the 19th century as part of the title reform following the Meiji Restoration.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011

                      Greetings from Solveig! Are you part of a baronial couple? And are you intentionally deferring to your partner? I suppose that may be what you are thinking about with respect to -gozen. It really is simply a polite suffix to a name. Oh well, congratulations if you are indeed a territorial baroness.

                    • Susan E Spiller
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 17, 2011
                        Okay, thank you - and no, not Landed, Court.......

                        Saka