Re: Request for L.A. Visit

  • Marie Heuser
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Doe <fabricboi@y...> wrote:

      > Hey Dude!! I forgot about that as well i also mentioned to them
      about Little Tokyo
      > there on 1st. Street they have things there as well like what is
      the new cars going to be that was cool.

      > Darcellena@t... wrote:
      > How about the L.A. County Museum of Art in Los Angeles and the
      Huntington
      > Library in San Marino? Another amusement park is Knott's Berry
      Farm
      > located in Buena Park, CA. Medieval Times dinner and show theatre
      is also
      > in Buena Park, or at least it was the last time I was in
      California. Then
      > tere is of course the Pacific ocean!

      Thank you! Little Tokyo and musuems! It all sounds great - too bad
      we only have three days.

      Thanks again,

      Kate/Mariko
    • John Doe
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
        THREE DAY!!! well I hope y'all have a good time there and such

        Marie Heuser <mdheuser@...> wrote:--- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Doe <fabricboi@y...> wrote:

        > Hey Dude!! I forgot about that as well i also mentioned to them
        about Little Tokyo
        > there on 1st. Street they have things there as well like what is
        the new cars going to be that was cool.

        > Darcellena@t... wrote:
        > How about the L.A. County Museum of Art in Los Angeles and the
        Huntington
        > Library in San Marino? Another amusement park is Knott's Berry
        Farm
        > located in Buena Park, CA. Medieval Times dinner and show theatre
        is also
        > in Buena Park, or at least it was the last time I was in
        California. Then
        > tere is of course the Pacific ocean!

        Thank you! Little Tokyo and musuems! It all sounds great - too bad
        we only have three days.

        Thanks again,

        Kate/Mariko

        ---------------------------------

      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
          > From: Marie Heuser <mdheuser@...>
          >Subject: Request for L.A. Visit
          >

          >Greetings, everyone,
          >
          >I have enjoyed the vast array of knowledge shared here for several months now. Thank you all, there are many sites and references I have found very useful, and that inspire me into bringing out my alternate persona more frequently.

          If your a bookworm type, the Oriental Bookstore in Pasadena is
          outrageous. Takes cash or check. There's also a small but nice Asian
          museum there as well as some other bookstores.

          http://www.cwire.com/pub/Pasadena/local/books.asp

          The bigger Japanese area is actually Torrance and Gardena nowadays

          In Gardena a ridiculously huge market with all sorts of silliness.
          Though apparently now it requires membership?
          http://www.marukai.com/

          Other bookstores, usually in Japanese malls.
          http://members.aol.com/sledgepuc/lamaas.html

          Currently living in frigid Northern California.
          Jim Eckman
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005

            > I do have a request. My lord and I share a long-time interest in
            > Japanese culture and arts, and will be spending three days (this
            > weekend) in L.A.. (only part of which will be devoted to Disneyland)
            > and we will have a car. Any suggestions on places, exhibits, museums,
            > gardens, restaurants that we should be sure to visit? L.A. has so
            > much to see that we would be very grateful for inside recommendations.

            Try to arrange to stay on the Queen Mary which should still be in Long
            Beach. Other than that, I really have little experience with Los
            Angeles other than Disney Land and a Rockwell office building. We did
            go up to the observatory to watch the smog set, and we may have made it
            to a zoo. However, the premiere West Coast zoo is supposed to be in San
            Diego.

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005

              > Currently living in frigid Northern California.

              Northern California is most definitely NOT frigid. I grew up in South
              Eastern Washington. Hitting Japan Town is definitely something to do in
              LA, but I thought that SF had a better one. For that matter, Moe's is
              the bookstore to hit in SF, Powell's the one in Portland, and Shorey's
              used to be the one to hit in Seattle. Japan town should have a branch
              of Kinokuniya, but I assure you that it is a pale shadow of the one in
              Shinjuku.

            • James Eckman
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
                sca-jml@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
                >
                >Greetings from Solveig!
                >

                >>Currently living in frigid Northern California.
                >>

                >Northern California is most definitely NOT frigid.

                It frequently gets below 70 degrees F, that's frigid ;)

                >I grew up in South Eastern Washington.

                That's unlivable!

                >Hitting Japan Town is definitely something to do in LA, but I thought that SF had a better one.

                I think that's true, Gardena and Torrance in LA are much bettera than
                either the old LA Japantown or the SF one.

                >For that matter, Moe's is the bookstore to hit in SF, Powell's the one in Portland, and Shorey's
                >used to be the one to hit in Seattle.

                If you want books on Asia in English, the Oriental Bookstore blows all
                three away on this one subject. Possibly even the Kinokuniya in Shinjuku
                as well since they don't carry used books as well as new ones. For silly
                size, go to Smith's Acres of Books in Long Beach, it is acres of books.

                Jim Eckman
                Who's not bothered by monsoon weather in Taiwan or Indonesia or 120+ in
                Phoenix.
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005

                  > If you want books on Asia in English, the Oriental Bookstore blows all
                  > three away on this one subject. Possibly even the Kinokuniya in
                  > Shinjuku
                  > as well since they don't carry used books as well as new ones. For
                  > silly
                  > size, go to Smith's Acres of Books in Long Beach, it is acres of books.

                  Actually, the half-floor of the Shinjuku store which is devoted to
                  foreign language books is generally speaking better than many if not
                  most North American bookstores for most subjects which interest me.
                  However, why bother going to Shinjuku hon-ten and then restricting
                  yourself to the foreign language section? The real action is on all
                  those other floors crammed with all of those beautiful Japanese books!
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 14, 2011

                    Greetings from Solveig! I am once again trying to put together an event proposal, and I am looking for ideas for what activities to include for a late April event.

                  • Jeanel Walker
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 15, 2011
                      i could picture a class that everyone is sitting down with brush and ink stone working on brush strokes like the monks do in the temple...this would get those who have never picked up a brush before the courage to try and perhaps even enjoy it...you can also start out the class with sticks and a box of sand to help give them confidence , and who knows you might be able to get some new calligraphers and illuminationst out of the deal

                      is the event going to be held during e day or night? you can get some sky lanterns and light them letting them float into the sky. its a beautiful sight . and we only had three can you imagine 10 or 20 of them?
                      of course you have to make sure that the wind is not above a certain speed and that theres no fire band going on. if your sight is over a lake it would be awesome to let them go off the boat and have some floating in the water =) a celebration of life. just putting out some idea

                      Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
                      My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

                      ________________________________
                      Greetings from Solveig! I am once again trying to put together an event proposal, and I am looking for ideas for what activities to include for a late April event.

                    • ravensong3
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011
                        I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

                        Saka
                      • LJonthebay
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "ravensong3" <ravens3@...> wrote:

                          > I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

                          You would not, persons addressing or referring to you would describe you as Masako-gozen, according to the chart at
                          http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/address.html

                          If you're a landed baroness, you'd be Baronyname-no-kami, evidently.

                          Hope this helps,

                          Saionji no Hana
                          Sho shichi i (until Twelfth Night)
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011

                            >> I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

                            Why do you think that 'gozen' is a titular reference for a baroness? -gozen is a sort of polite suffix attached to the name of the wives of noblemen. The other two meanings given by Kodansha Kogo Jiten are even more tangential. The primary meaning is the space in front of a noble.

                            > If you're a landed baroness, you'd be Baronyname-no-kami, evidently.

                            kami 守 is the title used by provincial governors and is appropriate if you are interested in recreating the imperial system. That is if you are interested in being a member of the kuge (courtier class).

                            If on the other hand you are interested in being a member of the buke (military class) then you are probably interested in the title shugo which were the military provincial governors. (This is the title that daimyo generally collected.)

                            Finally, there is the title in the alternative title list which was invented in the 19th century as part of the title reform following the Meiji Restoration.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011

                              Greetings from Solveig! Are you part of a baronial couple? And are you intentionally deferring to your partner? I suppose that may be what you are thinking about with respect to -gozen. It really is simply a polite suffix to a name. Oh well, congratulations if you are indeed a territorial baroness.

                            • Susan E Spiller
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 17, 2011
                                Okay, thank you - and no, not Landed, Court.......

                                Saka