Request for L.A. Visit

  • Marie Heuser
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 31, 2005
      Greetings, everyone,

      I have enjoyed the vast array of knowledge shared here for several months now. Thank you all, there are many sites and references I have found very useful, and that inspire me into bringing out my alternate persona more frequently.

      I do have a request. My lord and I share a long-time interest in Japanese culture and arts, and will be spending three days (this weekend) in L.A.. (only part of which will be devoted to Disneyland) and we will have a car. Any suggestions on places, exhibits, museums, gardens, restaurants that we should be sure to visit? L.A. has so much to see that we would be very grateful for inside recommendations.

      Thank you,

      Mariko (aka Kate Holford, Outlands)

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 31, 2005
        How about the L.A. County Museum of Art in Los Angeles and the Huntington
        Library in San Marino? Another amusement park is Knott's Berry Farm
        located in Buena Park, CA. Medieval Times dinner and show theatre is also
        in Buena Park, or at least it was the last time I was in California. Then
        tere is of course the Pacific ocean!

        If you are members of the Auto Club (AAA) they have guide books which list
        and give information regarding the various locales and attractions.

        Are you wanting to focus on all things Japanese, anything related to the
        SCA time period, or anything of interest in general?

        I'm a native Californian who moved eastward.

        Enjoy your trip.

        Darcellena

        > Greetings, everyone,
        >
        > I have enjoyed the vast array of knowledge shared here for several months
        > now. Thank you all, there are many sites and references I have found very
        > useful, and that inspire me into bringing out my alternate persona more
        > frequently.
        >
        > I do have a request. My lord and I share a long-time interest in Japanese
        > culture and arts, and will be spending three days (this weekend) in L.A..
        > (only part of which will be devoted to Disneyland) and we will have a car.
        > Any suggestions on places, exhibits, museums, gardens, restaurants that
        > we should be sure to visit? L.A. has so much to see that we would be very
        > grateful for inside recommendations.
        >
        > Thank you,
        >
        > Mariko (aka Kate Holford, Outlands)

        > Credit history
        >

        > Vehicle history
        >

        > Vehicle history report
        >

        > Vehicle history search
        >

        > Vehicle history vin
        >

        > Vehicle history record

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >

        > Visit your group "sca-jml" on the web.

      • John Doe
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 31, 2005
          there in L.A. there is an area Know as Little Tokyo there are shopping and resturaunts noodle houses and shabu shabu place there is even a Kabuki Place and if you like dolls there WOW!!
          they have some dolls there that would know your socks off and some of them are huge and more expencive too. when you get there find your way to !st. Street it is right there
          there is a pogota and a little shopping area. I hope that it is your favorite area as well I deeply recomend it.

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 31, 2005
            Hey Dude!! I forgot about that as well i also mentioned to them about Little Tokyo
            there on 1st. Street they have things there as well like what is the new cars going to be that was cool.

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 31, 2005
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Marie Heuser <mdheuser@y...> wrote:

              > I do have a request. My lord and I share a long-time interest in
              Japanese culture and arts, and will be spending three days (this
              weekend) in L.A..

              Bummer, wrong part of the state. I can recommend activities in the Bay
              Area.....

              I hear the LA County Museum has an excellent collection of Japanese art:
              http://www.lacma.org/

              Saionji no Hanae
            • Marie Heuser
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Doe <fabricboi@y...> wrote:

                > Hey Dude!! I forgot about that as well i also mentioned to them
                about Little Tokyo
                > there on 1st. Street they have things there as well like what is
                the new cars going to be that was cool.

                > Darcellena@t... wrote:
                > How about the L.A. County Museum of Art in Los Angeles and the
                Huntington
                > Library in San Marino? Another amusement park is Knott's Berry
                Farm
                > located in Buena Park, CA. Medieval Times dinner and show theatre
                is also
                > in Buena Park, or at least it was the last time I was in
                California. Then
                > tere is of course the Pacific ocean!

                Thank you! Little Tokyo and musuems! It all sounds great - too bad
                we only have three days.

                Thanks again,

                Kate/Mariko
              • John Doe
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
                  THREE DAY!!! well I hope y'all have a good time there and such

                  Marie Heuser <mdheuser@...> wrote:--- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Doe <fabricboi@y...> wrote:

                  > Hey Dude!! I forgot about that as well i also mentioned to them
                  about Little Tokyo
                  > there on 1st. Street they have things there as well like what is
                  the new cars going to be that was cool.

                  > Darcellena@t... wrote:
                  > How about the L.A. County Museum of Art in Los Angeles and the
                  Huntington
                  > Library in San Marino? Another amusement park is Knott's Berry
                  Farm
                  > located in Buena Park, CA. Medieval Times dinner and show theatre
                  is also
                  > in Buena Park, or at least it was the last time I was in
                  California. Then
                  > tere is of course the Pacific ocean!

                  Thank you! Little Tokyo and musuems! It all sounds great - too bad
                  we only have three days.

                  Thanks again,

                  Kate/Mariko

                  ---------------------------------

                • James Eckman
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005
                    > From: Marie Heuser <mdheuser@...>
                    >Subject: Request for L.A. Visit
                    >

                    >Greetings, everyone,
                    >
                    >I have enjoyed the vast array of knowledge shared here for several months now. Thank you all, there are many sites and references I have found very useful, and that inspire me into bringing out my alternate persona more frequently.

                    If your a bookworm type, the Oriental Bookstore in Pasadena is
                    outrageous. Takes cash or check. There's also a small but nice Asian
                    museum there as well as some other bookstores.

                    http://www.cwire.com/pub/Pasadena/local/books.asp

                    The bigger Japanese area is actually Torrance and Gardena nowadays

                    In Gardena a ridiculously huge market with all sorts of silliness.
                    Though apparently now it requires membership?
                    http://www.marukai.com/

                    Other bookstores, usually in Japanese malls.
                    http://members.aol.com/sledgepuc/lamaas.html

                    Currently living in frigid Northern California.
                    Jim Eckman
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005

                      > I do have a request. My lord and I share a long-time interest in
                      > Japanese culture and arts, and will be spending three days (this
                      > weekend) in L.A.. (only part of which will be devoted to Disneyland)
                      > and we will have a car. Any suggestions on places, exhibits, museums,
                      > gardens, restaurants that we should be sure to visit? L.A. has so
                      > much to see that we would be very grateful for inside recommendations.

                      Try to arrange to stay on the Queen Mary which should still be in Long
                      Beach. Other than that, I really have little experience with Los
                      Angeles other than Disney Land and a Rockwell office building. We did
                      go up to the observatory to watch the smog set, and we may have made it
                      to a zoo. However, the premiere West Coast zoo is supposed to be in San
                      Diego.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 1, 2005

                        > Currently living in frigid Northern California.

                        Northern California is most definitely NOT frigid. I grew up in South
                        Eastern Washington. Hitting Japan Town is definitely something to do in
                        LA, but I thought that SF had a better one. For that matter, Moe's is
                        the bookstore to hit in SF, Powell's the one in Portland, and Shorey's
                        used to be the one to hit in Seattle. Japan town should have a branch
                        of Kinokuniya, but I assure you that it is a pale shadow of the one in
                        Shinjuku.

                      • James Eckman
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005
                          sca-jml@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                          > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
                          >
                          >Greetings from Solveig!
                          >

                          >>Currently living in frigid Northern California.
                          >>

                          >Northern California is most definitely NOT frigid.

                          It frequently gets below 70 degrees F, that's frigid ;)

                          >I grew up in South Eastern Washington.

                          That's unlivable!

                          >Hitting Japan Town is definitely something to do in LA, but I thought that SF had a better one.

                          I think that's true, Gardena and Torrance in LA are much bettera than
                          either the old LA Japantown or the SF one.

                          >For that matter, Moe's is the bookstore to hit in SF, Powell's the one in Portland, and Shorey's
                          >used to be the one to hit in Seattle.

                          If you want books on Asia in English, the Oriental Bookstore blows all
                          three away on this one subject. Possibly even the Kinokuniya in Shinjuku
                          as well since they don't carry used books as well as new ones. For silly
                          size, go to Smith's Acres of Books in Long Beach, it is acres of books.

                          Jim Eckman
                          Who's not bothered by monsoon weather in Taiwan or Indonesia or 120+ in
                          Phoenix.
                        • Barbara Nostrand
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 3, 2005

                            > If you want books on Asia in English, the Oriental Bookstore blows all
                            > three away on this one subject. Possibly even the Kinokuniya in
                            > Shinjuku
                            > as well since they don't carry used books as well as new ones. For
                            > silly
                            > size, go to Smith's Acres of Books in Long Beach, it is acres of books.

                            Actually, the half-floor of the Shinjuku store which is devoted to
                            foreign language books is generally speaking better than many if not
                            most North American bookstores for most subjects which interest me.
                            However, why bother going to Shinjuku hon-ten and then restricting
                            yourself to the foreign language section? The real action is on all
                            those other floors crammed with all of those beautiful Japanese books!
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 14, 2011

                              Greetings from Solveig! I am once again trying to put together an event proposal, and I am looking for ideas for what activities to include for a late April event.

                            • Jeanel Walker
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 15, 2011
                                i could picture a class that everyone is sitting down with brush and ink stone working on brush strokes like the monks do in the temple...this would get those who have never picked up a brush before the courage to try and perhaps even enjoy it...you can also start out the class with sticks and a box of sand to help give them confidence , and who knows you might be able to get some new calligraphers and illuminationst out of the deal

                                is the event going to be held during e day or night? you can get some sky lanterns and light them letting them float into the sky. its a beautiful sight . and we only had three can you imagine 10 or 20 of them?
                                of course you have to make sure that the wind is not above a certain speed and that theres no fire band going on. if your sight is over a lake it would be awesome to let them go off the boat and have some floating in the water =) a celebration of life. just putting out some idea

                                Jeanel Walker aka Iolii or Takaatsu
                                My Facebook Link =)My Deviant Art Page Link

                                ________________________________
                                Greetings from Solveig! I am once again trying to put together an event proposal, and I am looking for ideas for what activities to include for a late April event.

                              • ravensong3
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011
                                  I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

                                  Saka
                                • LJonthebay
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011
                                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "ravensong3" <ravens3@...> wrote:

                                    > I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

                                    You would not, persons addressing or referring to you would describe you as Masako-gozen, according to the chart at
                                    http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/address.html

                                    If you're a landed baroness, you'd be Baronyname-no-kami, evidently.

                                    Hope this helps,

                                    Saionji no Hana
                                    Sho shichi i (until Twelfth Night)
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011

                                      >> I think that 'gozen' is the appropriate titular reference for a baroness ? My name is Taira no Masako - where would I place gozen in that, or how should it look/be handled or whatever ?

                                      Why do you think that 'gozen' is a titular reference for a baroness? -gozen is a sort of polite suffix attached to the name of the wives of noblemen. The other two meanings given by Kodansha Kogo Jiten are even more tangential. The primary meaning is the space in front of a noble.

                                      > If you're a landed baroness, you'd be Baronyname-no-kami, evidently.

                                      kami 守 is the title used by provincial governors and is appropriate if you are interested in recreating the imperial system. That is if you are interested in being a member of the kuge (courtier class).

                                      If on the other hand you are interested in being a member of the buke (military class) then you are probably interested in the title shugo which were the military provincial governors. (This is the title that daimyo generally collected.)

                                      Finally, there is the title in the alternative title list which was invented in the 19th century as part of the title reform following the Meiji Restoration.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 16, 2011

                                        Greetings from Solveig! Are you part of a baronial couple? And are you intentionally deferring to your partner? I suppose that may be what you are thinking about with respect to -gozen. It really is simply a polite suffix to a name. Oh well, congratulations if you are indeed a territorial baroness.

                                      • Susan E Spiller
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 17, 2011
                                          Okay, thank you - and no, not Landed, Court.......

                                          Saka