Fabric choices Re: What's the "standard" clothes items?

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 14, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@a... wrote:

      > I recently have taken a vow to not make any more cotton Japanese
      garments, I have enough already.

      You clothes-horse, you. ;->

      They are not quite right, and linen will hold up much better in the
      long run. (BTW I need to find it again, but there is one of the major
      discount fabric places that has real hemp cloth, and a linen-hemp
      cloth as well. (both are about $10-12 bucks a yard, a bit pricy but it
      would be accurate.)

      It wouldn't be so pricy if people didn't insist on smoking other hemp
      byproducts.

      Hemp from Dharma Trading - their silks are significantly cheaper!
      http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/hemp/hemp.html

      Hemp Traders
      http://www.hemptraders.com/index.shtml

      Everybody else I googled wanted $20/yard or more and I don't pay that
      for silk!

      100% flax linen in all sorts of great colors at
      http://www.fabrics-store.com
      Looks like hemp, breathes beautifully, frays like crazy (finish your
      seams and cut edges, folks!) and nobody seems to want to smoke the stuff.

      Dye-it-yourself silk yardage at very reasonable prices can be found
      through
      http://www.dharmatrading.com
      http://www.thaisilks.com
      http://silkconnection.com

      Enjoy,
      Saionji
      > This is true of any fabric, cotton, silk, linen, hemp. Try to find
      a weave that is as dense and appropriate as the piece you are
      attempting to emulate.

      > -Takeda

    • Sean Malloy
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 17, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
        > They are not quite right, and linen will hold up much better in the
        > long run. (BTW I need to find it again, but there is one of the major
        > discount fabric places that has real hemp cloth, and a linen-hemp
        > cloth as well. (both are about $10-12 bucks a yard, a bit pricy but it
        > would be accurate.)
        >
        > It wouldn't be so pricy if people didn't insist on smoking other hemp
        > byproducts.

        It's actually pricey because it threatened William Randolph Hearst's
        profits; the invention of the hemp decorticator created a cheap method
        of separating the hemp fiber from its pulp while preserving both. An
        acre planted in hemp produces four times the paper pulp of an acre of
        pulp timberland, and Hearst held huge tracts of pulp timberland. The
        'reefer madness' campaign he orchestrated succeeded because people
        were not generally aware that hemp and marijuana were the same plant.