Re: [SCA-JML] Re: kosode and hakama questions

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005

      > Huh. Anything I've ever made with pleats I just find the end points,
      > then the middle, pin 'em down and start pinching in pleats by eye. I
      > haven't made men's hakama yet, so I can't say for certain, especially
      > since there will be slight variations depending on the size of the
      > wearer.
      Why the variation? I can understand variation if people are of grossly
      different size, but otherwise there should be little need for just
      about any Japanese garment of just about any period.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
        wrote:
        > Why the variation? I can understand variation if people are of grossly
        > different size, but otherwise there should be little need for just
        > about any Japanese garment of just about any period.

        Guessing for big gaijin bodies being put into little Japanese
        clothing. Scale CAN be an issue for some people. And, as I said, I
        haven't actually made a pair yet of men's hakama. Yet. ;->

        Saionji
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005

          Greetings from Solveig! Baron Edward came up with a rather modest scale
          factor which appears to work. I think that it was no more than 10%. I
          forget what exactly it was. Perhaps he will post it. My basic point
          though is that wafuku is not generally speaking "fitted".