Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Tousando Board One Year Anniversary

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
      Noble Cousin!

      > And, to the general populace, is there an SCA Japanese bardic list? I
      > subscribe to all of the quote-unquote mundane lists (performance,
      > academic, etc) but I'd like to know about gathering points in the
      > group? A quick archive search revealed to me that there are loads of
      > koto players out there, maybe even other fellow shakuhachi-ists?

      Greetings from Solveig! I am interested in pre-modern Japanese theatre
      and pre-modern Japanese poetry. I'm not sure whether you consider
      either of those particularly bardic. I am curious though. What is the
      subject of your dissertation? Do you have a bibliography?

    • Caroline Foster
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
        wrote:

        > Greetings from Solveig! I am interested in pre-modern Japanese theatre
        > and pre-modern Japanese poetry. I'm not sure whether you consider
        > either of those particularly bardic. I am curious though. What is the
        > subject of your dissertation? Do you have a bibliography?

        Dear Solveig Throndardottir,

        Thank you for your message.

        I would certainly consider the musicality of such performances-within-
        performances as "bardic"! I do hesitate to use such a potentially
        mis-leading term, but--within the activities of the Society as such--
        it has a certain connotation about live performance, if not
        historicity. Myself, I must say I feel out of my depth when
        discussing ensemble music of no~gaku, et cetera, as in the case with
        the instrumentation within classical Japanese dramatics . . . I really
        specialize in the solo repertoire, but of course it's all fascinating!

        And thank you for your expressed curiosity in my disseration.

        My degree is--to committees at least--considered as being a
        "performance" specialty, meaning that a core element of evaluation is
        technical delivery, although of course the research element is of
        prime importance. This second(ary) aspect is evaluated through
        course-work, candidacy papers, and a sizable dissertation . . . mine
        (very much a work in progress) concentrates on the transmission of
        honkyoku, particularly the rĂ´le of the komuso~ and the Fuke sects,
        their extralegal status as medicant wanderers free of the normal
        strictures imposed by autocratic Edo central government. I'm also
        interested in the development of competing notational methodologies.

        There is a well-blazed trail on these topics already, by both western
        and eastern scholars, and I'm constantly in a state of anxiety as I
        sit and pick away under their magnificent shadows. Huge swathes of
        research is, especially in Japanese, out of print, and I live with a
        stack of yellowed photocopies, rusty staples, and crumbling file-
        folders. The sheer cumbersome quality of it all has cost me a room-
        mate or two, I think!

        Out of all this, I do have a working bibliography (if it is of
        interest, I could u/l to the appropriate section) and chapter
        outlines, which are due in a fortnight's time . . . in fact, that is
        what I should be smartening up right now, instead of indulging in the
        fun discussions here!

        And so . . .

        May all being be calm,
        -Renpu
        ---
        Caroline Foster -- PhD. Candidate (Ethnomusicology)
        Dept. of Asian Languages, University of Washington
        225 Gowen Hall, Seattle, WA 98195-3521

        aka: Mistress Kunaikyo - "Renpu" (lotus-wind)
        Barony of Madrone
        Way of Bamboo: Shakuhachi Performance Arts
        *~* o~-neko no dosari to netaru uchiwa kana *~*
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
          Noble Cousin!

          Greetings from Solveig! Please do make your bibliography available. I
          very selfishly wish to stand on your broad shoulders for some of my
          projects.

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
            Noble Cousins!

            Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?

          • JESSICA DODGE
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
              uh?
              helena

              Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?

            • Trish Bentley
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                > Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:
                > Noble Cousins!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?
                >

                > Your Humble Servant
                >
                > Solveig Throndardottir
                >
                > Amateur Scholar

                hai. Lurking.

                -Trish
                "Kimochi warui!"

                __________________________________
                Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
              • Caroline Foster
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 13, 2005
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
                  > Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?

                  Ah, a rhetorical question? Solveig, please feel free to start up a
                  conversation on a topic of your choosing -- your projects, current
                  research, concerns, or anything of the like. I am sure we would all
                  benefit enormously from such an initiative.

                  May all beings be calm (and productive!)
                  -Renpu