Re: kosode and hakama questions

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Mara" <mnv@v...> wrote:

      > Using this pattern for a kosode here :
      > http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
      > how do I figure out the measurements for the neck cutout? Math is not
      > my thing.

      I think that's Sir Koredono's page, isn't it? Wrap a tape measure or
      string around your neck to determine its circumference. That number
      will be C. C/2 is half that amount. C/4 is half of C/4. So if your
      neck measures 16 inches, C2 is 8 inches, C4 is 4 inches. OK?

      I prefer a shallower, more curved neck cut that Koredono does (I
      probably have a daintier neck than he does), but there's no reason his
      instructions won't work for you.

      > Also when making hakama what is the average depth for the pleats?
      Huh. Anything I've ever made with pleats I just find the end points,
      then the middle, pin 'em down and start pinching in pleats by eye. I
      haven't made men's hakama yet, so I can't say for certain, especially
      since there will be slight variations depending on the size of the
      wearer.

      Guys? Can you help this lady? I'm supposed to be packing!

      Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005

        > Huh. Anything I've ever made with pleats I just find the end points,
        > then the middle, pin 'em down and start pinching in pleats by eye. I
        > haven't made men's hakama yet, so I can't say for certain, especially
        > since there will be slight variations depending on the size of the
        > wearer.
        Why the variation? I can understand variation if people are of grossly
        different size, but otherwise there should be little need for just
        about any Japanese garment of just about any period.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
          wrote:
          > Why the variation? I can understand variation if people are of grossly
          > different size, but otherwise there should be little need for just
          > about any Japanese garment of just about any period.

          Guessing for big gaijin bodies being put into little Japanese
          clothing. Scale CAN be an issue for some people. And, as I said, I
          haven't actually made a pair yet of men's hakama. Yet. ;->

          Saionji
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005

            Greetings from Solveig! Baron Edward came up with a rather modest scale
            factor which appears to work. I think that it was no more than 10%. I
            forget what exactly it was. Perhaps he will post it. My basic point
            though is that wafuku is not generally speaking "fitted".