kosode and hakama questions

  • Mara
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2005
      Using this pattern for a kosode here :
      http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
      how do I figure out the measurements for the neck cutout? Math is not
      my thing.

      Also when making hakama what is the average depth for the pleats?

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Mara" <mnv@v...> wrote:

        > Using this pattern for a kosode here :
        > http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html
        > how do I figure out the measurements for the neck cutout? Math is not
        > my thing.

        I think that's Sir Koredono's page, isn't it? Wrap a tape measure or
        string around your neck to determine its circumference. That number
        will be C. C/2 is half that amount. C/4 is half of C/4. So if your
        neck measures 16 inches, C2 is 8 inches, C4 is 4 inches. OK?

        I prefer a shallower, more curved neck cut that Koredono does (I
        probably have a daintier neck than he does), but there's no reason his
        instructions won't work for you.

        > Also when making hakama what is the average depth for the pleats?
        Huh. Anything I've ever made with pleats I just find the end points,
        then the middle, pin 'em down and start pinching in pleats by eye. I
        haven't made men's hakama yet, so I can't say for certain, especially
        since there will be slight variations depending on the size of the
        wearer.

        Guys? Can you help this lady? I'm supposed to be packing!

        Saionji no Hanae, West Kingdom.
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005

          > Huh. Anything I've ever made with pleats I just find the end points,
          > then the middle, pin 'em down and start pinching in pleats by eye. I
          > haven't made men's hakama yet, so I can't say for certain, especially
          > since there will be slight variations depending on the size of the
          > wearer.
          Why the variation? I can understand variation if people are of grossly
          different size, but otherwise there should be little need for just
          about any Japanese garment of just about any period.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
            wrote:
            > Why the variation? I can understand variation if people are of grossly
            > different size, but otherwise there should be little need for just
            > about any Japanese garment of just about any period.

            Guessing for big gaijin bodies being put into little Japanese
            clothing. Scale CAN be an issue for some people. And, as I said, I
            haven't actually made a pair yet of men's hakama. Yet. ;->

            Saionji
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 10, 2005

              Greetings from Solveig! Baron Edward came up with a rather modest scale
              factor which appears to work. I think that it was no more than 10%. I
              forget what exactly it was. Perhaps he will post it. My basic point
              though is that wafuku is not generally speaking "fitted".