Re: Tousando Board One Year Anniversary

  • Caroline Foster
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@y...>
      wrote:
      > The Tousando Board recently celebrated its one year anniversary.

      Omedeto~, To~sando daimyo~!

      But I hesitate and ask for your direction.

      Is their a place therein for music discussion? Where would be the
      place to look?

      And, to the general populace, is there an SCA Japanese bardic list? I
      subscribe to all of the quote-unquote mundane lists (performance,
      academic, etc) but I'd like to know about gathering points in the
      group? A quick archive search revealed to me that there are loads of
      koto players out there, maybe even other fellow shakuhachi-ists?

      I await most patiently for your greetings and guidance.

      -Renpu
      *** *** *** ***
      Caroline Foster -- PhD. Candidate (Ethnomusicology)
      Dept. of Asian Languages, University of Washington
      225 Gowen Hall, Seattle, WA 98195-3521

      aka: Mistress Kunaikyo - "Renpu" (lotus-wind)
      Barony of Madrone
      Way of Bamboo: Shakuhachi Performance Arts
      *~* oo-neko no dosari to netaru uchiwa kana *~*
    • Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
        > Omedeto~, To~sando daimyo~!
        >
        > But I hesitate and ask for your direction.

        Ask away! I'm really a nice guy (and I refuse the 'daimyou', I am but
        a 100 koku samurai in the service of the Hatakeyama, more bookish than
        most perhaps, and, contradictorally, illiterate)

        > Is their a place therein [Tousando] for music discussion? Where
        would be the place to look?

        No specific forum is dedicated to music. But feel free to ask your
        questions in the Jidai Koushou section.

        > And, to the general populace, is there an SCA Japanese bardic list?

        Not that I am aware of. But you are going to have better luck on this
        list than most.

        Good Luck!
        Otagiri
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
          wrote:

          > Ask away! I'm really a nice guy....

          I'll vouch for him, even. ;->

          Saionji
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005

            > And, to the general populace, is there an SCA Japanese bardic list? I
            > subscribe to all of the quote-unquote mundane lists (performance,
            > academic, etc) but I'd like to know about gathering points in the
            > group? A quick archive search revealed to me that there are loads of
            > koto players out there, maybe even other fellow shakuhachi-ists?

            Greetings from Solveig! I am interested in pre-modern Japanese theatre
            and pre-modern Japanese poetry. I'm not sure whether you consider
            either of those particularly bardic. I am curious though. What is the
            subject of your dissertation? Do you have a bibliography?

          • Caroline Foster
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
              wrote:

              > Greetings from Solveig! I am interested in pre-modern Japanese theatre
              > and pre-modern Japanese poetry. I'm not sure whether you consider
              > either of those particularly bardic. I am curious though. What is the
              > subject of your dissertation? Do you have a bibliography?

              Dear Solveig Throndardottir,

              Thank you for your message.

              I would certainly consider the musicality of such performances-within-
              performances as "bardic"! I do hesitate to use such a potentially
              mis-leading term, but--within the activities of the Society as such--
              it has a certain connotation about live performance, if not
              historicity. Myself, I must say I feel out of my depth when
              discussing ensemble music of no~gaku, et cetera, as in the case with
              the instrumentation within classical Japanese dramatics . . . I really
              specialize in the solo repertoire, but of course it's all fascinating!

              And thank you for your expressed curiosity in my disseration.

              My degree is--to committees at least--considered as being a
              "performance" specialty, meaning that a core element of evaluation is
              technical delivery, although of course the research element is of
              prime importance. This second(ary) aspect is evaluated through
              course-work, candidacy papers, and a sizable dissertation . . . mine
              (very much a work in progress) concentrates on the transmission of
              honkyoku, particularly the rĂ´le of the komuso~ and the Fuke sects,
              their extralegal status as medicant wanderers free of the normal
              strictures imposed by autocratic Edo central government. I'm also
              interested in the development of competing notational methodologies.

              There is a well-blazed trail on these topics already, by both western
              and eastern scholars, and I'm constantly in a state of anxiety as I
              sit and pick away under their magnificent shadows. Huge swathes of
              research is, especially in Japanese, out of print, and I live with a
              stack of yellowed photocopies, rusty staples, and crumbling file-
              folders. The sheer cumbersome quality of it all has cost me a room-
              mate or two, I think!

              Out of all this, I do have a working bibliography (if it is of
              interest, I could u/l to the appropriate section) and chapter
              outlines, which are due in a fortnight's time . . . in fact, that is
              what I should be smartening up right now, instead of indulging in the
              fun discussions here!

              And so . . .

              May all being be calm,
              -Renpu
              ---

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005

                Greetings from Solveig! Please do make your bibliography available. I
                very selfishly wish to stand on your broad shoulders for some of my
                projects.

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005

                  Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?

                • JESSICA DODGE
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                    uh?
                    helena

                    Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?

                  • Trish Bentley
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                      > Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:
                      > Noble Cousins!
                      >
                      > Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?
                      >

                      > Your Humble Servant
                      >
                      > Solveig Throndardottir
                      >
                      > Amateur Scholar

                      hai. Lurking.

                      -Trish
                      "Kimochi warui!"

                      __________________________________
                      Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                      http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
                    • Caroline Foster
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 13, 2005
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
                        > Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?

                        Ah, a rhetorical question? Solveig, please feel free to start up a
                        conversation on a topic of your choosing -- your projects, current
                        research, concerns, or anything of the like. I am sure we would all
                        benefit enormously from such an initiative.

                        May all beings be calm (and productive!)
                        -Renpu