Tousando Board One Year Anniversary

  • Otagiri Tatsuzou
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
      The Tousando Board recently celebrated its one year anniversary.

      If I recall correctly, it was conceived from a comment on the Armour
      Archive by Mike F in the summer of '04. We now have over 150 members
      from Europe to Japan, including the SCA and anime groups, and over
      6000 posts!

      If you hit no other link in this list, hit this one

      Jo Anseeuw Online Galleries
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=research&action=display&thread=1116995033

      We have thrashed over tons of SCA Japanese armour:

      Jo's Haramaki
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=armour&action=display&thread=1117583588

      Date Saburou Yukiie's Kydex Oyoroi
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=armour&action=display&thread=1106228209

      Baron Effingham's Yoroi
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=armour&action=display&thread=1106429778

      Mykaru's Ogekawa Dou
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=armour&action=display&thread=1108616749

      Baron Randall Morgan's Katchuu
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=armour&action=display&thread=1098466692

      Stibbert Collection - Unpublished Works
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=armour&action=display&thread=1096332430

      Discussed Japanese weapons and their techniques:

      Kyujutsu
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=arms&action=display&thread=1113413850

      Sojutsu
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=arms&action=display&thread=1114496682

      Tetsubo
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=arms&action=display&thread=1096859878

      Two Swords
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=arms&action=display&thread=1096692266

      Strategy and other martial topics:

      Ashigaru equipment
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=heiho&action=display&thread=1096861936

      Asian Knights and Masters of the SCA
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=heiho&action=display&thread=1113153955

      We've dug up some interesting sources

      kotodama.kokugakuin.ac.jp Digital Library
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=research&action=display&thread=1128440214

      Historiographical Institute - University of Tokyo
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=research&action=display&thread=1101332176

      Image Database of Historical Resources
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=research&action=display&thread=1127086500

      Tons of clothing links, here are just a couple

      Buke Eye For The SCA Guy?
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1119162757

      Date's New Suikan Kamishimo
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1109269540

      Matsui Kosode - 1594
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1126631068

      I need a pretty Ho
      http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1112599757

      Food, poetry, books, events, vendors, member profiles, ...
      There is a lot of information here.

      Thanks to all who've helped make it happen.
      Come by for a visit in our second year!
      _________________
      Otagiri Tatsuzou
      Kenin of the Hatakeyama
      Squire to Sir Nicholas DeKane
      http://tousando.proboards18.com
    • Caroline Foster
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@y...>
        wrote:
        > The Tousando Board recently celebrated its one year anniversary.

        Omedeto~, To~sando daimyo~!

        But I hesitate and ask for your direction.

        Is their a place therein for music discussion? Where would be the
        place to look?

        And, to the general populace, is there an SCA Japanese bardic list? I
        subscribe to all of the quote-unquote mundane lists (performance,
        academic, etc) but I'd like to know about gathering points in the
        group? A quick archive search revealed to me that there are loads of
        koto players out there, maybe even other fellow shakuhachi-ists?

        I await most patiently for your greetings and guidance.

        -Renpu
        *** *** *** ***
        Caroline Foster -- PhD. Candidate (Ethnomusicology)
        Dept. of Asian Languages, University of Washington
        225 Gowen Hall, Seattle, WA 98195-3521

        aka: Mistress Kunaikyo - "Renpu" (lotus-wind)
        Barony of Madrone
        Way of Bamboo: Shakuhachi Performance Arts
        *~* oo-neko no dosari to netaru uchiwa kana *~*
      • Otagiri Tatsuzou
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
          > Omedeto~, To~sando daimyo~!
          >
          > But I hesitate and ask for your direction.

          Ask away! I'm really a nice guy (and I refuse the 'daimyou', I am but
          a 100 koku samurai in the service of the Hatakeyama, more bookish than
          most perhaps, and, contradictorally, illiterate)

          > Is their a place therein [Tousando] for music discussion? Where
          would be the place to look?

          No specific forum is dedicated to music. But feel free to ask your
          questions in the Jidai Koushou section.

          > And, to the general populace, is there an SCA Japanese bardic list?

          Not that I am aware of. But you are going to have better luck on this
          list than most.

          Good Luck!
          Otagiri
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
            wrote:

            > Ask away! I'm really a nice guy....

            I'll vouch for him, even. ;->

            Saionji
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005

              > And, to the general populace, is there an SCA Japanese bardic list? I
              > subscribe to all of the quote-unquote mundane lists (performance,
              > academic, etc) but I'd like to know about gathering points in the
              > group? A quick archive search revealed to me that there are loads of
              > koto players out there, maybe even other fellow shakuhachi-ists?

              Greetings from Solveig! I am interested in pre-modern Japanese theatre
              and pre-modern Japanese poetry. I'm not sure whether you consider
              either of those particularly bardic. I am curious though. What is the
              subject of your dissertation? Do you have a bibliography?

            • Caroline Foster
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
                wrote:

                > Greetings from Solveig! I am interested in pre-modern Japanese theatre
                > and pre-modern Japanese poetry. I'm not sure whether you consider
                > either of those particularly bardic. I am curious though. What is the
                > subject of your dissertation? Do you have a bibliography?

                Dear Solveig Throndardottir,

                Thank you for your message.

                I would certainly consider the musicality of such performances-within-
                performances as "bardic"! I do hesitate to use such a potentially
                mis-leading term, but--within the activities of the Society as such--
                it has a certain connotation about live performance, if not
                historicity. Myself, I must say I feel out of my depth when
                discussing ensemble music of no~gaku, et cetera, as in the case with
                the instrumentation within classical Japanese dramatics . . . I really
                specialize in the solo repertoire, but of course it's all fascinating!

                And thank you for your expressed curiosity in my disseration.

                My degree is--to committees at least--considered as being a
                "performance" specialty, meaning that a core element of evaluation is
                technical delivery, although of course the research element is of
                prime importance. This second(ary) aspect is evaluated through
                course-work, candidacy papers, and a sizable dissertation . . . mine
                (very much a work in progress) concentrates on the transmission of
                honkyoku, particularly the rĂ´le of the komuso~ and the Fuke sects,
                their extralegal status as medicant wanderers free of the normal
                strictures imposed by autocratic Edo central government. I'm also
                interested in the development of competing notational methodologies.

                There is a well-blazed trail on these topics already, by both western
                and eastern scholars, and I'm constantly in a state of anxiety as I
                sit and pick away under their magnificent shadows. Huge swathes of
                research is, especially in Japanese, out of print, and I live with a
                stack of yellowed photocopies, rusty staples, and crumbling file-
                folders. The sheer cumbersome quality of it all has cost me a room-
                mate or two, I think!

                Out of all this, I do have a working bibliography (if it is of
                interest, I could u/l to the appropriate section) and chapter
                outlines, which are due in a fortnight's time . . . in fact, that is
                what I should be smartening up right now, instead of indulging in the
                fun discussions here!

                And so . . .

                May all being be calm,
                -Renpu
                ---

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 10, 2005

                  Greetings from Solveig! Please do make your bibliography available. I
                  very selfishly wish to stand on your broad shoulders for some of my
                  projects.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005

                    Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?

                  • JESSICA DODGE
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                      uh?
                      helena

                      Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?

                    • Trish Bentley
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 12, 2005
                        > Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:
                        > Noble Cousins!
                        >
                        > Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?
                        >

                        > Your Humble Servant
                        >
                        > Solveig Throndardottir
                        >
                        > Amateur Scholar

                        hai. Lurking.

                        -Trish
                        "Kimochi warui!"

                        __________________________________
                        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
                      • Caroline Foster
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 13, 2005
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@a...>
                          > Greetings from Solveig! Is anyone here?

                          Ah, a rhetorical question? Solveig, please feel free to start up a
                          conversation on a topic of your choosing -- your projects, current
                          research, concerns, or anything of the like. I am sure we would all
                          benefit enormously from such an initiative.

                          May all beings be calm (and productive!)
                          -Renpu