Re: Online Digital Library

  • Caroline Foster
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Otagiri Tatsuzou" <ronbroberg@y...>
      wrote:
      > There is an online library of scanned books including several period
      > pieces.
      > http://kotodama.kokugakuin.ac.jp/digital/diglib/diglib.html

      Good gentles, here so gathered:

      As I find formal introductions awkward, I will seize on this moment to
      de-lurk and, hopefully, further contribute to a line of inquiry
      started here by Otagiri-dono.

      I am sure this is an oft travelled realm for many, but for those who
      may have not had the pleasure of visitation, I present the Japanese e-
      texts home page, University of Virginia:

      http://etext.virginia.edu/japanese/texts.html

      It's certainly less expensive than acquiring the scrolls! ;).

      May all beings be calm,
    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
        Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

        > Unfortunately I am still illiterate, but I pass these on for those who
        > may find some use for them.
        >
        > There is an online library of scanned books including several period
        > pieces.
        > http://kotodama.kokugakuin.ac.jp/digital/diglib/diglib.html

        A copy of a post I made to Tousando, in case anyone doesn't go there:

        <japanese accent>Horii kurappu! </japanese accent>

        Hummana hummana hummana.... Woof. Wow.

        Muchos arigatos! This is fanfreakingtastic.

        For those who want more cool stuff, The second one down on the home
        pager are some "Nara e-hon" (lit. "Nara picture books" -- so called
        because it was believed that many many many were produced by monks in
        Nara in much the same function and reason that monks in Belgium make
        beer). They started appearing in the 1400s and lasted into the Edo
        period, and were popular tales and texts and were usually heavily
        illustrated and gloriously colored and gold leafed (hence the name
        "picture book"). They are considered direct forerunners to modern manga.

        Many of the tales were what is called "otogizoshi" or "companion tales"
        and are the Japanese equivalent of our Brothers Grimm, fairy tales, etc.
        The story I translated for my thesis was one such: "Iwaya no Sôshi" (The
        Tale of the Cave-house).

        At any rate, the first entry under Nara e-hon is a luxuriously
        illustrated 3-volume edition of Ise Monogatari, which should not need
        any introduction.
        Number two is the 2-volume "Isosaki" (less well known, but illustrated
        to all get out).
        Number three is the incredibly famous and well known tale (or at least
        one version of it) of "Shutendoji" in a LOVELY scroll.
        Number four is a two-volume edition of Daishikikan.
        Number five is "Taketori Monogatari" -- possibly the oldest extant tale
        in Japanese. "Taketori Monogatari" is the story of a girl found in a
        bamboo stalk and raised by an old bamboo cutter, and the nobles who vie
        for her hand and the moon folk (!) who get in the way.
        Number six is "Monokusa Tarô".

        FOLDER THREE
        The third numbered main folder is "literature-related" texts. It breaks
        down into five folders:

        1. Waka (which looks to include almost all the official anthologies of
        waka compiled!)

        2. "monogatari" related texts:
        A. "Gikeiki" (Chronicles of Yoshitsune);
        B. "Saigoro Monogatari";
        C. "Soga Monogatari" (aka. "Tale of the Soga Brothers");
        D. "Taiheiki" (Chronicles of the establishment of the Muromachi Bakufu);
        E. "Taketori Monogatari";
        F. "Heike Monogatari"
        (actually, the rest are all Heike -- just different editions of it, for
        overkill. ).

        3. Nikki (diaries) Ogod ogod ogod NIKKI!!!!!!! Alas, there's only one
        but it's a good one: "Kagero Nikki" ("The Gossamer Years" aka "Fujiwara
        no Michitsuna's old mom won't stop bitching and moaning someone shoot me
        for the love of God").

        4. "fragments of old works, etc." which is exactly what it says --
        random surviving pages of old texts.

        5. Kanbun texts (texts in Classical Chinese via Japanese). The only
        kanbun text is a rather short work by Emperor Saga, the 8th-9th c.
        emperor who was a major Chinese scholar and poet (and possibly the first
        Japanese person to drink tea).

        FOLDER FOUR
        The fourth numbered folder is history texts.
        1. Kojiki
        2. "Age of the Gods"
        3. Nihon Shoki's "Age of the Gods"
        4 - 8. Nihon Shoki editions
        9. "Wakan Nendai ki" (apparently some kind of Chinese-and-Japanese
        historical record)

        FOLDER FIVE
        The fifth numbered folder is topographical texts
        1. "Izumo no kuni no fudo ki" (topographical record of the province of
        Izumo)
        2. "Izumo no fudo ki" (another version)
        3. "Fudo ki: Yamashiro, Owari, Hitachi"

        FOLDER SIX
        The sixth numbered folder is "budo-related" texts.
        1. A Yoshida-ryu kyudo text (nice illustrations of quivers and arrow
        stands!)
        2. Another yoshida-ryu book on archery. Most of it is illustrated with
        diagrams of feathers -- probably detailed instructions on appropriate
        plumage to use for fletching and proprieties of style and rank.

        FOLDER SEVEN
        The seventh numbered folder is martial topics (heiho) related texts. The
        only text there is the two-volume "Zappyo Monogatari" (Tales of the Rank
        and File warrior") , an Edo-era manual for samurai on what samurai USED
        to do. Nicely illustrated. (If you see page
        http://kotodama.kokugakuin.ac.jp/digital/diglib/zohyo02/mag3/pages/page017.html
        you'll see the original inspiration for Angus' painting -- plate G-- in
        my first book.)

        FOLDER EIGHT
        The eighth numbered folder is texts related to governance. The only text
        is "Shokugensho" by Kitabatake Chikafusa. Essentially, how proper
        society should function harrumph harrumph.

        FOLDER NINE
        the ninth numbered folder is Japanese publications of Chinese classics.
        1. Chen Gui
        2. Di Fan

        FOLDER TEN
        The tenth numbered folder is a selection of books from a single
        publisher in Edo.
        1. Ansei Yonnen Owari Han (probably a record of what was going on in
        Owari during the critical years of the Great Ansei Purge).
        2 - 3. Ito Nikki.
        4. An illustrated book about Kasuga Grand Shrine events
        5. Gion Roryôe (a mid-18th century best seller!) about what later came
        to be known as the Gion Matsuri.
        6. I haven't the foggiest idea -- a bakumatsu text of some kind.
        7. Dai Nippon Shinto Himitsu no maki -- shinto tales? Nice B&W
        illustrations, anyway.
        8. Tsukizuki no asobi ("pastimes month by month") Lovingly and
        colorfully illustrated. Wow!
        9. Nihon Meizan Zuso ("Famous Mountains of Japan, Illustrated")
        10. Bansen zue ("Illustrations of [foreign]barbarian ships") See
        http://kotodama.kokugakuin.ac.jp/digital/diglib/bansen/mag3/pages/page009.html.
        Ummmm.... okay.
        11. Meireki Yonnen Bukan ("Armorial Book of Meireki 4 [1658])") The mon
        and holdings of the great families in mid 17th century.
        12. Ryukyu Nenpyo ki (Okinawa yearly chronicles). Interesting.

        FOLDER ELEVEN
        The eleventh numbered folder has "Koga-ke monjo" texts. These are
        documents (mostly letters) from the Koga family from Heian through Meiji
        eras -- usually related to the imperial court. There are two sets of
        facsimiles of documents:
        1. Emps. Fushimi and Go-Fushimi
        2. apparently poetry and commentary by Fushimi (with split screen so you
        can actually READ that scrawl on the large pages).

        FOLDER TWELVE
        Tje twelfth numbered folder is Buddhist texts, and has one entry: a copy
        of the Kokera-kyô ("Persimmon" sutra) written on bamboo strips (!).

        FOLDER THIRTEEN
        The thirteenth numbered folder has one one short text: a handful of
        documents (monjo) from Kôzan-ji.

        FOLDER FOURTEEN
        The fourteenth numbered folder is a collection of two documents from a
        private collection. THere are two sets -- one of 13 pieces, and one of
        51. Foreign stuff. Yawn.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2005
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@c...>
          wrote:
          > A copy of a post I made to Tousando, in case anyone doesn't go there:

          All the "cool kids" hang out on the Tousando. It's a nice resource.

          http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi

          Saionji