Re: Fake Heian brocade

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
      Answering two posts with one here:

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Audrey Bergeron-Morin"
      <audreybmorin3@h...> wrote:

      > What did you use to make your stencil? I always end up retouching my
      > stencilled designs by hand, did you need to do this?

      After ripping through two polyester film stencils with the X-acto
      knife, I ran a piece of manila folder through my printer, started the
      cuts with the X-acto, then completed them using cuticle scissors - the
      narrow, slightly curved blade worked really well.

      I had a little bit of bleed-through in a couple of spots, but the
      design is so delicate you have get up pretty close to see it. I am not
      going to muck with it and am arguing to myself that the imperfections
      make it look more like it's woven. Yeah, right. ;->

      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@y...> wrote:
      > What kind of meduim did you use to do that?

      None. Neopaque doesn't require it. Apply the paint, let it air dry for
      24 hours, heat set it on both sides with an iron at the appropriate
      setting for the type of fabric you're painting.
      I didn't thin it either because I wanted the white to be really bright.

      > Also, I was looking at the Kyoto Museum online at the masterworks.
      It appears to me, that painting and aready made garment is okay. But
      should one paint the fabric first, then cut the garment pieces? Or are
      both ways acceptable?

      Japanese textiles are loomed into narrow rolls that compose the panels
      (or divisions thereof) that become a garment. Most of us end up
      working with much wider fabrics that we have to cut into pieces the
      appropriate width. Cutting my pieces first helps me visually take into
      account things like seam allowances as I lay out a design. If you need
      to push the furniture out of the way and put the whole thing on the
      floor so you can plan your lay-out, do it.

      Flat pieces are easiest to paint. There are times when you might be
      doing a design where the pieces need to line up correctly and partial
      assembly may be appropriate (such as running up the back seam of a
      kosode with a hem border). I generally paint before assembly. The
      photo I posted shows one hakama leg. The sleeves and body (but NOT the
      collar) of the hitatare are already sewn together along the shoulder
      seams, but not at the sleeve bottoms. This is so I can match up the
      pattern along the sleeve seams. I'll be able to lay the whole thing
      flat and work on it in that form, then finish the assembly.

      Hope this makes sense.

      Saionji
    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
        > From: "wodeford" <wodeford@...>
        >Subject: Fake Heian brocade

        >experiment with stencil work.
        >
        >Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
        >tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.
        >
        >See what you think,

        Looks like the current Taiga drama stuff!

        Jim
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@c...> wrote:

          > Looks like the current Taiga drama stuff!

          I am going to look like a giant kuge fishing lure. ;-> YESSSSSSS!

          Saionji
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2005

            >> album labeled "Makiwara" shows my most recent experiment with stencil
            >> work.
            >>
            >> Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
            >> tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.
            I agree. It is very nice looking.

          • Park McKellop
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 10, 2005

              >> album labeled "Makiwara" shows my most recent experiment with stencil
              >> work.
              >>
              >> Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
              >> tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.
              I agree. It is very nice looking.

              It even looks nice in person! I got to see it last night. :-)

              Alcyoneus

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 10, 2005
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@y...> wrote:
                > It even looks nice in person! I got to see it last night. :-)

                Thank you. At one point I was afraid I was going to have to fight
                Otagiri to get it back. ;->

                Glad to see you made it home OK! Had a great time.

                S.