Re: hitatare question

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Mara" <mnv@v...> wrote:
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
      >
      > I would actually like to do something that is a little more freeform
      > or organic maybe even called abstract by some, on the fabric.
      > Do you know of an period images that would show something like that?
      > Everything I have found so far is so formal, which I know typical
      > given the formal nature of Japanese court at the time, but I would
      > love to know if I am missing something.

      It depends on the period. I'm doing the sort of thing that would be
      appropriate for a Heian or Kamakura period courtier. By the 16th
      century, styles worn by the samurai class are quite different.

      Rent "Kagemusha" and ogle the costumes. Lots of men in really snazzy
      16th century hitatare.

      I'll take a look through my stuff when I get home and see if I can
      point you at anything else.

      Saionji
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:

        > It depends on the period. I'm doing the sort of thing that would be
        > appropriate for a Heian or Kamakura period courtier. By the 16th
        > century, styles worn by the samurai class are quite different.

        Mara-hime,
        Crap. I suddenly can't seem to link to the Tokyo National Museum's
        website for some reason, not sure if it's my ISP or if they're working
        on their end.

        Anyway, if YOU can navigate into www.tnm.go.jp/ and get into the
        English language version, go to the TNM Collection, select "Decorative
        Arts" + "Textiles" and I think the first five or six garments in the
        collection are pre 1600. Look for one with diagonal stripes and
        abstract ginko leaves and see whether it fits the "freeform and
        abstract" feel you're looking for.

        Here's something from the Kyoto Costume Museum that's kind of fun:
        http://tinyurl.com/8fmmb

        Some hitatare images from artwork:
        http://www.kariginu.jp/kikata/1-6.htm

        Saionji

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2005

          > I would actually like to do something that is a little more freeform
          > or organic maybe even called abstract by some, on the fabric.
          > Do you know of an period images that would show something like that?
          > Everything I have found so far is so formal, which I know typical
          > given the formal nature of Japanese court at the time, but I would
          > love to know if I am missing something.

          About the only thing that I can suggest is a dye pattern achieved by
          swirling black sumi or dye on the surface of water and then pulling the
          cloth through the pattern. This produces a random swirl pattern which
          does appear in the section of fabric pattern plates in Guide to
          Japanese Literature.