Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Fake Heian brocade

  • JESSICA DODGE
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
      What kind of meduim did you use to do that?
      I have used textile meduim and Acrylics in the past, but that still leaves a slighty rough feeling to the garment. I cringe to think I will have to invest agian into inks or dyes. Although I know it would look better. I would like to try things I already have. And I have Acrylics.(I am practical that way)

      Also, I was looking at the Kyoto Museum online at the masterworks. It appears to me, that painting and aready made garment is okay. But should one paint the fabric first, then cut the garment pieces? Or are both ways acceptable?

      In any case, it looks beautiful. Looking at the picture, I wouldn't have known it was pianted if you hadn't said so.
      Hotaru
      wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
      album labeled "Makiwara" shows my most recent experiment with stencil
      work.

      Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
      tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.

      See what you think,

      ---------------------------------

    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
        Please -- don't top post, folks.

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
          Answering two posts with one here:

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Audrey Bergeron-Morin"
          <audreybmorin3@h...> wrote:

          > What did you use to make your stencil? I always end up retouching my
          > stencilled designs by hand, did you need to do this?

          After ripping through two polyester film stencils with the X-acto
          knife, I ran a piece of manila folder through my printer, started the
          cuts with the X-acto, then completed them using cuticle scissors - the
          narrow, slightly curved blade worked really well.

          I had a little bit of bleed-through in a couple of spots, but the
          design is so delicate you have get up pretty close to see it. I am not
          going to muck with it and am arguing to myself that the imperfections
          make it look more like it's woven. Yeah, right. ;->

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@y...> wrote:
          > What kind of meduim did you use to do that?

          None. Neopaque doesn't require it. Apply the paint, let it air dry for
          24 hours, heat set it on both sides with an iron at the appropriate
          setting for the type of fabric you're painting.
          I didn't thin it either because I wanted the white to be really bright.

          > Also, I was looking at the Kyoto Museum online at the masterworks.
          It appears to me, that painting and aready made garment is okay. But
          should one paint the fabric first, then cut the garment pieces? Or are
          both ways acceptable?

          Japanese textiles are loomed into narrow rolls that compose the panels
          (or divisions thereof) that become a garment. Most of us end up
          working with much wider fabrics that we have to cut into pieces the
          appropriate width. Cutting my pieces first helps me visually take into
          account things like seam allowances as I lay out a design. If you need
          to push the furniture out of the way and put the whole thing on the
          floor so you can plan your lay-out, do it.

          Flat pieces are easiest to paint. There are times when you might be
          doing a design where the pieces need to line up correctly and partial
          assembly may be appropriate (such as running up the back seam of a
          kosode with a hem border). I generally paint before assembly. The
          photo I posted shows one hakama leg. The sleeves and body (but NOT the
          collar) of the hitatare are already sewn together along the shoulder
          seams, but not at the sleeve bottoms. This is so I can match up the
          pattern along the sleeve seams. I'll be able to lay the whole thing
          flat and work on it in that form, then finish the assembly.

          Hope this makes sense.

          Saionji
        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
            > From: "wodeford" <wodeford@...>
            >Subject: Fake Heian brocade

            >experiment with stencil work.
            >
            >Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
            >tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.
            >
            >See what you think,

            Looks like the current Taiga drama stuff!

            Jim
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@c...> wrote:

              > Looks like the current Taiga drama stuff!

              I am going to look like a giant kuge fishing lure. ;-> YESSSSSSS!

              Saionji
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 9, 2005

                >> album labeled "Makiwara" shows my most recent experiment with stencil
                >> work.
                >>
                >> Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
                >> tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.
                I agree. It is very nice looking.

              • Park McKellop
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 2005

                  >> album labeled "Makiwara" shows my most recent experiment with stencil
                  >> work.
                  >>
                  >> Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
                  >> tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.
                  I agree. It is very nice looking.

                  It even looks nice in person! I got to see it last night. :-)

                  Alcyoneus

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 10, 2005
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@y...> wrote:
                    > It even looks nice in person! I got to see it last night. :-)

                    Thank you. At one point I was afraid I was going to have to fight
                    Otagiri to get it back. ;->

                    Glad to see you made it home OK! Had a great time.

                    S.