Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Fake Heian brocade

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
      wodeford wrote:

      > album labeled "Makiwara" shows my most recent experiment with stencil
      > work.
      >
      > Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
      > tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.

      Two words -- and only two.

      suh WEET!!

      Okay, more words: You rock. :)

      Effingham
    • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
        > http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/lst shows my most recent
        > experiment with stencil work.
        >
        > Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
        > tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.

        What did you use to make your stencil? I always end up retouching my
        stencilled designs by hand, did you need to do this?

        Very nice...
      • JESSICA DODGE
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
          What kind of meduim did you use to do that?
          I have used textile meduim and Acrylics in the past, but that still leaves a slighty rough feeling to the garment. I cringe to think I will have to invest agian into inks or dyes. Although I know it would look better. I would like to try things I already have. And I have Acrylics.(I am practical that way)

          Also, I was looking at the Kyoto Museum online at the masterworks. It appears to me, that painting and aready made garment is okay. But should one paint the fabric first, then cut the garment pieces? Or are both ways acceptable?

          In any case, it looks beautiful. Looking at the picture, I wouldn't have known it was pianted if you hadn't said so.
          Hotaru
          wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
          album labeled "Makiwara" shows my most recent experiment with stencil
          work.

          Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
          tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.

          See what you think,

          ---------------------------------

        • Anthony Bryant
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
            Please -- don't top post, folks.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
              Answering two posts with one here:

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Audrey Bergeron-Morin"
              <audreybmorin3@h...> wrote:

              > What did you use to make your stencil? I always end up retouching my
              > stencilled designs by hand, did you need to do this?

              After ripping through two polyester film stencils with the X-acto
              knife, I ran a piece of manila folder through my printer, started the
              cuts with the X-acto, then completed them using cuticle scissors - the
              narrow, slightly curved blade worked really well.

              I had a little bit of bleed-through in a couple of spots, but the
              design is so delicate you have get up pretty close to see it. I am not
              going to muck with it and am arguing to myself that the imperfections
              make it look more like it's woven. Yeah, right. ;->

              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, JESSICA DODGE <kaythiarain@y...> wrote:
              > What kind of meduim did you use to do that?

              None. Neopaque doesn't require it. Apply the paint, let it air dry for
              24 hours, heat set it on both sides with an iron at the appropriate
              setting for the type of fabric you're painting.
              I didn't thin it either because I wanted the white to be really bright.

              > Also, I was looking at the Kyoto Museum online at the masterworks.
              It appears to me, that painting and aready made garment is okay. But
              should one paint the fabric first, then cut the garment pieces? Or are
              both ways acceptable?

              Japanese textiles are loomed into narrow rolls that compose the panels
              (or divisions thereof) that become a garment. Most of us end up
              working with much wider fabrics that we have to cut into pieces the
              appropriate width. Cutting my pieces first helps me visually take into
              account things like seam allowances as I lay out a design. If you need
              to push the furniture out of the way and put the whole thing on the
              floor so you can plan your lay-out, do it.

              Flat pieces are easiest to paint. There are times when you might be
              doing a design where the pieces need to line up correctly and partial
              assembly may be appropriate (such as running up the back seam of a
              kosode with a hem border). I generally paint before assembly. The
              photo I posted shows one hakama leg. The sleeves and body (but NOT the
              collar) of the hitatare are already sewn together along the shoulder
              seams, but not at the sleeve bottoms. This is so I can match up the
              pattern along the sleeve seams. I'll be able to lay the whole thing
              flat and work on it in that form, then finish the assembly.

              Hope this makes sense.

              Saionji
            • James Eckman
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                > From: "wodeford" <wodeford@...>
                >Subject: Fake Heian brocade

                >experiment with stencil work.
                >
                >Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
                >tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.
                >
                >See what you think,

                Looks like the current Taiga drama stuff!

                Jim
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2005
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, James Eckman <ronin_engineer@c...> wrote:

                  > Looks like the current Taiga drama stuff!

                  I am going to look like a giant kuge fishing lure. ;-> YESSSSSSS!

                  Saionji
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 9, 2005

                    >> album labeled "Makiwara" shows my most recent experiment with stencil
                    >> work.
                    >>
                    >> Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
                    >> tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.
                    I agree. It is very nice looking.

                  • Park McKellop
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 10, 2005

                      >> album labeled "Makiwara" shows my most recent experiment with stencil
                      >> work.
                      >>
                      >> Silk dupioni with a daisy pattern printed into it in a slightly darker
                      >> tone, stencilled with Neopaque white fabric acrylic.
                      I agree. It is very nice looking.

                      It even looks nice in person! I got to see it last night. :-)

                      Alcyoneus

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 10, 2005
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Park McKellop <squire009@y...> wrote:
                        > It even looks nice in person! I got to see it last night. :-)

                        Thank you. At one point I was afraid I was going to have to fight
                        Otagiri to get it back. ;->

                        Glad to see you made it home OK! Had a great time.

                        S.