Re: hitatare question

  • Mara
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:

      > Feel free to contact me if you want to brainstorm.
      >
      > Saionji no Hanae, called Makiwara

      I would actually like to do something that is a little more freeform
      or organic maybe even called abstract by some, on the fabric.
      Do you know of an period images that would show something like that?
      Everything I have found so far is so formal, which I know typical
      given the formal nature of Japanese court at the time, but I would
      love to know if I am missing something.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Mara" <mnv@v...> wrote:
        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:
        >
        > I would actually like to do something that is a little more freeform
        > or organic maybe even called abstract by some, on the fabric.
        > Do you know of an period images that would show something like that?
        > Everything I have found so far is so formal, which I know typical
        > given the formal nature of Japanese court at the time, but I would
        > love to know if I am missing something.

        It depends on the period. I'm doing the sort of thing that would be
        appropriate for a Heian or Kamakura period courtier. By the 16th
        century, styles worn by the samurai class are quite different.

        Rent "Kagemusha" and ogle the costumes. Lots of men in really snazzy
        16th century hitatare.

        I'll take a look through my stuff when I get home and see if I can
        point you at anything else.

        Saionji
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2005
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "wodeford" <wodeford@y...> wrote:

          > It depends on the period. I'm doing the sort of thing that would be
          > appropriate for a Heian or Kamakura period courtier. By the 16th
          > century, styles worn by the samurai class are quite different.

          Mara-hime,
          Crap. I suddenly can't seem to link to the Tokyo National Museum's
          website for some reason, not sure if it's my ISP or if they're working
          on their end.

          Anyway, if YOU can navigate into www.tnm.go.jp/ and get into the
          English language version, go to the TNM Collection, select "Decorative
          Arts" + "Textiles" and I think the first five or six garments in the
          collection are pre 1600. Look for one with diagonal stripes and
          abstract ginko leaves and see whether it fits the "freeform and
          abstract" feel you're looking for.

          Here's something from the Kyoto Costume Museum that's kind of fun:
          http://tinyurl.com/8fmmb

          Some hitatare images from artwork:
          http://www.kariginu.jp/kikata/1-6.htm

          Saionji

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2005

            > I would actually like to do something that is a little more freeform
            > or organic maybe even called abstract by some, on the fabric.
            > Do you know of an period images that would show something like that?
            > Everything I have found so far is so formal, which I know typical
            > given the formal nature of Japanese court at the time, but I would
            > love to know if I am missing something.

            About the only thing that I can suggest is a dye pattern achieved by
            swirling black sumi or dye on the surface of water and then pulling the
            cloth through the pattern. This produces a random swirl pattern which
            does appear in the section of fabric pattern plates in Guide to
            Japanese Literature.