Re: [SCA-JML] Question about hosting events

  • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2005
      On 9/28/05, c. staebler <shibhan@...> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > The assassination game thread is fascinating
      > because I am wondering, have you ever hosted events
      > not sanctioned by your local groups and is it
      > possible.
      > So I'm wondering, if there's no support and active
      > or passive resistance to a Japanese-themed event, how
      > would a very determined person or household hold one?

      Short answer: In the same way the First Tournament was held. There was no
      other organization, they just got together and decided to put something on,
      and any private citizen(s) could do the same.
      Long answer: If you want to draw SCA friends to a non-SCA event, you will
      want to probably check and make sure you aren't stepping on any toes you
      don't want to step on, first (other local events, etc.). If you want to hold
      something, though, set up your rules for the event first. Realize that you
      are the legally responsible party (or whoever signs the contracts)--if you
      want to, set up your own organization; although you need to go through all
      the proper motions if you want the 'group' to be legally responsible instead
      of 'you'.
      You won't have access to SCA funds for such an event, nor will you have
      insurance. However, you also don't have SCA rules--if you want to implement
      clothing requirements (e.g. You MUST have a decent attempt at 16th Century
      Japanese clothing), name requirements, etc. you can. (Realize, the further
      you go from 'standard' SCA rules, the more likely you may turn some people
      off, for good or ill).
      My wife and I have done this with our friends once--it will be some time
      before we do it again. We did it as a private affair, and asked SCAdians if
      they wanted to attend, but made it blatantly obvious that this was a private
      event, not a SCAdian one. The cost really hurt the pocketbook when it was
      all over, but we enjoyed ourselves, and I'd like to do something similar
      (but less expensive!) again.