Oh no, not kana/kanji soup again!

  • lynnx@enteract.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2000
      > > > "Sore wa yoroi de gozaru" = "That is an armour."
      > > > "Katana ni gozaru" = "it's a sword (duh.)"
      > > >
      > > ...so ya gotta wonder what form that poor Japanese used back
      > > when some namban asked him/her "Whaddyas call that thang?"
      > > pointing to their [nonstandard English deliberate] robe...
      > >
      > > "sore wa ki mono de gozaru" (This is a thing to wear") or
      > > "ki mono ne gozaru" (doh-h - *clothes*, baka!")
      > >

      > Ah, sorry. The "duh" should have been outside the quotation marks.
      > Historically, "ni aru" and "de aru" are more or less interchangeable...

      Actually i should have checked my own punctuation. The
      "baka" and "doh" should both have been in parens, and
      outside the (complete?!) set of quotes:

      "sore wa ki mono de gozaru" ("This is a thing to wear") or
      "ki mono ne gozaru" ([doh-h] - "they're clothes." [baka!])

      Which it looks like makes not a lot of diff anyhow)

      > > (grammar corrections welcome; it's why i joined this list :-)
      >
      > Masochist. { g }

      Yup it's about 30 degrees F in this dump and i'm sitting in
      front of this 'puter ...and enjoying it...;->

      YIS
      s.e.