RE: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 1935

  • RC Kofoed
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2005
      Guess I am doing it wrong or found an easy cheating way to put it on , that
      or mine are easier cause I buy mine from karate stores...I always wonder
      what to do with that piece in the back though so half the time left it out
      half the time fliped it to hold ties in place....course could not even BEGIN
      to say what my steps were in such a well written way : ) and I get to cheat
      too cause most of the time wear them under kimonos ; )

      Lady Tatsumi Tomoko

      Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:42:53 -0400
      From: "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)" <tatsushu@...>
      Subject: Wearing the hakama [humor]

      I think that everyone who has played with hakama has had this experience
      (sent by our instructor to our battodo class-probably out there elsewhere,
      but this was the first time I'd seen it):

      <><><><><><><><><><><><><>
      "Leadership is action, not a position." Donald McGannon

      http://www.rayeswebdesign.netfirms.com/
      http://rayesphotographs.netfirms.com
      http://allaboutraye.netfirms.com
      http://rayesbrain.netfirms.com/
      http://texasroses.netfirms.com
      http://scajapan.netfirms.com/
      www.ebooksonthe.net (Check out my books Modified and Army of the Dead
      COMING SOON: The Nexus)

      2. Re: [Fwd: Join us for The Textile Museum's Fall Symposium]
      From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:42:53 -0400
      From: "Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)" <tatsushu@...>

      I think that everyone who has played with hakama has had this experience
      (sent by our instructor to our battodo class-probably out there elsewhere,
      but this was the first time I'd seen it):

      Putting the hakama on.
      - Step into hakama; pull it up to waist level.
      - Drop hakama, turn around and put it on right way 'round.
      - pull it up to waist level again.
      - drop hakama again; step into it again; this time insuring both legs don't
      go into the same hole.
      - pull it up to waist level again.
      - take the front ties in hand and wrap them around and behind your body.
      - pull up hakama to waist level again.
      -grab ties again.
      -pull hakama up again. Hold it in place with elbow.
      - Grab ties again. hold them with teeth.
      - pull up hakama again. Try to hold it in place by crossing legs in bizarre
      'gotta pee' position while trying to grab both front ties with one hand and
      guide them to teeth.
      - leave ties alone; staple front of hakama to belt. Gingerly take up ties
      trying not to disturb hakama.
      - apply first aid to small holes in stomach.
      - tuck top of hakama behind belt; grab ties and shove them bodily between
      belt and gi.
      - wrap ties about a dozen times around body; tie in square knot.
      - retie in square knot.
      - think about joining Boy Scouts to learn how to tie knots.
      - tie in big ol' fashioned granny knot.
      - untie ties in a hurry; take deep breath before passing out. Wait until
      face goes from blue to pink - or whatever colour it normally is. Retie a
      little less tight than before.
      - pull up back of hakama, grab ties, pass them between belt and gi.
      - tie back ties in front. There should be about 10 meters of tie left over.
      - Fold left tie in half, then half again, then half again, then half again,
      then half again, then half again, then half again until it forms a sort of
      pad 10 centimeters long and about twice that thick.
      - place folded tie horizontally against stomach.
      - take unfolded tie and wrap it around the mass of ties and knots and pads
      over its entire length until it forms a monstrous bow at your stomach.
      - adjust cardboard bit so it fits snugly against your stomach.
      - look again at carboard bit, then at the hakamas of instructors watching
      and laughing their heads off.
      - cry.
      - undo hakama, get out and start over.