Re: [SCA-JML] Re: authentic Kimono pattern?

    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 7 7:05 PM
      Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig! June Cleaver wearing pearls while vacuming was
      a bit over the top even for the mid-50's. My mother wore a "house
      dress" which you would never ever see June Cleaver wear while vacuming
      and did not generally wear pearls while doing housework. Also, I do not
      recall my father wearing a jacket while we ate dinner although he did
      wear one to work. The big dress code revolution was pretty pervasive in
      the 60's. Men started wearing coloured shirts and even short sleaved
      shirts to work.

      As for today, I have seen people wearing both nightwear and underwear
      as outerwear on campus. I was very startled by the idea of people
      wandering around their own houses naked until fairly recently.

      All of that said, the notion that you do dress properly for things was
      well enough ingrained in my psyche that after summoning the ambulance
      which was soon to transport me unconscious to the hospital, I decided
      that I needed to change from night clothes into outside clothes. This
      led to rather unfortunate results when the rescue squad showed up.

      > Jeans were work clothes.

      Jeans were rather specialized work clothes or sportwear. Most workers
      wore rather different clothing. People were wearing jeans as sportswear
      by the 1940's or earlier. Actually one of the things that changed is
      the general disappearance of uniforms. In the days of June Cleaver,
      service station attendants, milk truck drivers, railroad engineers,
      painters, and many other occupations had distinctive uniforms.

    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 8 7:43 PM
        > From: Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
        >

        > From: Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
        >

        >Why did we stop wearing hats? Why did we stop "dressing up" to do
        >anything?

        People dress up, just not the way your're used to.

        >You didn't see people who weren't working the land wearing
        >T-shirts in public in the 1940s and 1950s unless they were
        >counter-culture elements (e.g., James Dean). Jeans were work clothes.
        >Button down dress shirts (ties, jackets) were the social norm. Nowadays,
        >we go to the theatre in jeans and a t-shirt and flip-flops. I've seen
        >people on campus wearing what I would swear to have been pajamas.

        The concept of dress flip-flops seems like an oxymoron, but I've heard
        serious discussions about it, and of course there's always the dress
        t-shirt, the one with the pocket ;)

        >It's a sign of the coursening of society, IMHO.

        ROTFL

        >Remember "Leave it to
        >Beaver" where the June Cleaver vaccuumed and cooked in a dress and
        >pearls, and Ward wore a tie and jacket at his own dinner table? That
        >really was a societal norm. It certainly was in my home.

        Most people in the 60's and 70's drank more than they do nowadays, 100
        years ago a bottle a day man was not an uncommon person. Is this part of
        the refinement we are missing along with lynchings, women forced to stay
        home, etc? Fashion is one of those transient things and really doesn't
        have any real long term impact on society. Also the days of no SCA :(
        Give me the good new days.

        >Today, I walk around the house in sweatpants and a T-shirt, and it would
        >kill my dad to have seen it. Those clothes, in his opinion, belong on
        >the sports field or field house, not in public or as "daywear."

        Lucky I had counter culture parents then...

        > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
        >

        >Why did ties become less popular in North America?

        Because they are uncomfortable, dangerous and a pain in the ass? Just
        the opinion of the fashion god of the nerds.

        >Basically, there was
        >a bit of a trend towards simplification in costume over the centuries
        >in Japan. Further, as Baron Edward pointed out in one of his Pennsic
        >classes, lower classes tended to adopt the leisure wear of the upper
        >classes as their own formal wear.

        Tuxedos come to mind.

        >As for today, I have seen people wearing both nightwear and underwear
        >as outerwear on campus. I was very startled by the idea of people
        >wandering around their own houses naked until fairly recently.

        Some of our Scandinavian neighbors were doing that in the late 50's,
        welcome to the land of the Puritans.

        Jim Eckman
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 8 10:22 PM

          > Most people in the 60's and 70's drank more than they do nowadays, 100
          > years ago a bottle a day man was not an uncommon person. Is this part
          > of
          > the refinement we are missing along with lynchings, women forced to
          > stay
          > home, etc? Fashion is one of those transient things and really doesn't
          > have any real long term impact on society. Also the days of no SCA :(
          > Give me the good new days.

          I was once told that in the 19th century, the floor of the U.S. Senate
          was generously equipped with a punch bowl full of whisky. At one time,
          spittoons were common. Some nineteenth judges and other lawmen had the
          habit of taking trophies from those apprehended in some case making
          items of apparel or satchels out of body parts taken from those
          executed. (This I have seen in a museum.) In nineteenth century
          Montana, one town decided to steal the county seat from another town.
          They succeeded, and the original county seat is now a ghost town. Then
          again, there were those lovely battles between the Pinkertons and all
          sorts of other groups including, in at least one incident in Ohio if I
          recall correctly, the local constabulary.

          > Some of our Scandinavian neighbors were doing that in the late 50's,
          > welcome to the land of the Puritans.

          I know not how reliable this story of the Puritans is, but I was once
          told that the Puritans were tossed out of England for being obnoxious
          in a variety of ways including apparently demonstrating their supposed
          purity by parading around London in the buff. One thing that is pretty
          certain about New England colonists is that they did not all live in
          white houses. There are amusing cases of the boards of "historical"
          societies in Lexington and Concord forbidding their owners from
          painting their houses the colours which they were actually painted at
          the time of the revolution instead mandating that they must be painted
          "colonial white".