Re: [SCA-JML] authentic Kimono pattern?

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 6, 2005
      Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

      > I looked at a bunch of those. Several of them, as I recall, depict
      > what are actually traveling clothes. Traveling clothes are a distinct
      > form of clothing which you see a fair amount of in pre-modern
      > Japanese. Traveling clothes persisted in North America at least until
      > the 1950's. Regardless, one of the pictures I referenced depicts a
      > formally dressed high ranking buddhist cleric. The original issue was
      > whether or not a "self-respecting" male would go without pants. I
      > believe that the examples from the Costume Museum answer this
      > question in the affirmative. Yes, indeed! Certain pretty high-ranking
      > self-respecting premodern Japanese men would on certain formal
      > occasions go without trousers.

      I think you're conflating the issue of specialized uniforms (e.g.,
      clerical "work clothes") with what the NORMAL person wore.

      Certainly historians of Japanese clothing and fashion (e.g., Suzuki
      Keizo, Sato Yasuko, and Kawabata Yasuhide) fall on my side. In fact, if
      I remember the source correctly, the bit about dignified men not going
      out without pants is a near direct quote from Kawabata in Yusoku kojitsu
      zufu."

      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005

        > I am so sorry I started this argument; I meant to help
        > a new person to the SCA make her man look like he was
        > a samurai, somehow kimono alone looks incomplete.

        Bushi indeed frequently went about in hakama. I am sorry if I
        distressed you. I was simply responding to what I viewed as an overly
        categorical statement.

        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
          Baron Edward!

          Greetings from Solveig!

          > I think you're conflating the issue of specialized uniforms (e.g.,
          > clerical "work clothes") with what the NORMAL person wore.

          As you well know, the Japanese love uniforms. So, uniforms were hardly
          unique to the clergy. At least one of the illustrations at the costume
          museum which I referenced would be better characterized as "ceremonial
          clothing" than "work clothes". Regardless, as I already mentioned to
          the unwitting and unfortunate instigator of this recent exchange
          between us, I was simply responding to what was phrased as a blanket
          statement. As for the high ranking clerics in question, they were most
          definitely "dignified men". If anything, high ranking clerics were
          frequently satirized for their attachment to splendid robes. As for the
          political status of some of these clerics, I refer you to "Heavenly
          Warriors" and other similar books about the Kamakura and Muromachi
          periods. Some of these clerics effectively held rank equivalent to that
          of a provincial governor.

        • Anthony Bryant
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
            Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

            > Baron Edward!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig!
            >
            > > I think you're conflating the issue of specialized uniforms (e.g.,
            > > clerical "work clothes") with what the NORMAL person wore.
            >
            > As you well know, the Japanese love uniforms. So, uniforms were hardly
            > unique to the clergy. At least one of the illustrations at the costume
            > museum which I referenced would be better characterized as "ceremonial
            > clothing" than "work clothes". Regardless, as I already mentioned to
            > the unwitting and unfortunate instigator of this recent exchange
            > between us, I was simply responding to what was phrased as a blanket
            > statement. As for the high ranking clerics in question, they were most
            > definitely "dignified men". If anything, high ranking clerics were
            > frequently satirized for their attachment to splendid robes. As for the
            > political status of some of these clerics, I refer you to "Heavenly
            > Warriors" and other similar books about the Kamakura and Muromachi
            > periods. Some of these clerics effectively held rank equivalent to that
            > of a provincial governor.

            Again....

            If you want to take that view, fine. But clerical types do NOT count as
            typical people in terms of dress or style when they are in their outfits.

            Normal people -- samurai, peasants, artisans, merchants, what have you
            -- did NOT as a rule go about without some semblance of pants until the
            early Edo or REALLY REALLY REALLY late in period. It. Was. Just. Not. Done.

            Effingham
          • Otagiri Tatsuzou
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
              > Normal people -- samurai, peasants, artisans, merchants, what have you
              > -- did NOT as a rule go about without some semblance of pants until the
              > early Edo or REALLY REALLY REALLY late in period. It. Was. Just.
              Not. Done.

              Why did they stop wearing pants?

              Otagiri
            • Anthony Bryant
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
                Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

                > Why did they stop wearing pants?

                Why did we stop wearing hats? Why did we stop "dressing up" to do
                anything? You didn't see people who weren't working the land wearing
                T-shirts in public in the 1940s and 1950s unless they were
                counter-culture elements (e.g., James Dean). Jeans were work clothes.
                Button down dress shirts (ties, jackets) were the social norm. Nowadays,
                we go to the theatre in jeans and a t-shirt and flip-flops. I've seen
                people on campus wearing what I would swear to have been pajamas.

                It's a sign of the coursening of society, IMHO. Remember "Leave it to
                Beaver" where the June Cleaver vaccuumed and cooked in a dress and
                pearls, and Ward wore a tie and jacket at his own dinner table? That
                really was a societal norm. It certainly was in my home.

                Today, I walk around the house in sweatpants and a T-shirt, and it would
                kill my dad to have seen it. Those clothes, in his opinion, belong on
                the sports field or field house, not in public or as "daywear."

                Effingham
              • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
                  On 9/7/05, Otagiri Tatsuzou <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

                  > > Normal people -- samurai, peasants, artisans, merchants, what have you
                  > > -- did NOT as a rule go about without some semblance of pants until the
                  > > early Edo or REALLY REALLY REALLY late in period. It. Was. Just.
                  > Not. Done.
                  > >

                  > Why did they stop wearing pants?
                  >

                  > Otagiri

                  I'm not certain we can say why, for certain, other than that fashion
                  changed.
                  I would hazard a guess that walking around in simply a kosode was just a
                  way of 'bumming around' the house. It may have also been something that
                  working stiffs did--especially if you are working in summer on a hot day. In
                  some later Edo Period woodblock prints I also notice what appears to be
                  another, fancy 'modesty' garment (looks like the front flap of a fundoshi
                  that has been elaborately embroidered and tasseled, in one
                  instance)--possibly the response to wearing no pants.
                  I get the impression from the paintings that this is often similar to
                  rolling down one's chausses in a European setting.
                  In "Arrival of the 'Southern Barbarians'" (Anonymous, c. 1600, Leonard C.
                  Hann Jr. Fund 1960.193.1-2) there is a mix of laymen with hakama and
                  without. I'd say that hakama are definitely in the majority (well, the
                  nanban's pantaloons are, but that's a different matter). In some instances,
                  it may just be that the hakama are the same color as the kosode--it is hard
                  to make out. Only one layman, that I can clearly make out definitely is not
                  wearing hakama. I can't be sure if it is a bushi or a merchant.
                  By the first half of the 17th century we have Kano Einou's "Views of Lake
                  Biwa" (J. H. Wade Fund 1983.19.1-2). It shows several laymen without hakama,
                  although they seem to often have kyahan (leg wraps) on.
                  In the "Hikone Screen" (c. 1630-1645, Hikone Castle Museum, Shiga
                  Prefecture) we see a samurai dandy leaning on his sword (like a cane), hips
                  out, and relaxed, with what appears to be just a couple of layers of kosode.
                  It is hard to tell, but others in the seen are wearing hakama, and the
                  person in question appears to be quite young. Probably a youth, flirting
                  witha couple of ladies.
                  In "Ammusements in a Mansion" (c. 1640s, Private Collection), many of the
                  men are shown in just kosode style garments--in fact, the style of dress
                  between men and women is extremely unisex, including the medium-width obi.
                  Some older gentlemen are wearing pants, as are many of the samurai about to
                  enter, although two bushi appear to be wearing furisode--the long sleeved
                  kosode often worn by unmarried women, modernly. The entire scene, I should
                  note, seems to have something sexual, and in parts possibly homoerotic, to
                  it.
                  Add to this the ages old tradition of 'putting on the trousers' as a
                  special day in a young boy's progression towards manhood, and the lack of
                  hakama for many working classes, leads me to put forward the following
                  hypothesis:
                  As the lower classes were able to attain rank, they brought their clothes
                  with them. Notice that this happened when the bushi first rose to
                  prominence, with the hitatare becoming a rich garment. Likewise, the doubuku
                  appears to have possibly come from the merchant class.
                  Perhaps the lower ranks of the samurai--drawn from provincial farmer-bushi
                  and ashigaru--brought this working style with them? On top of that, it seems
                  that you see pictures of this style in brothels and 'the floating world',
                  especially among youths. It definitely seems to emphasize the effeminate
                  qualities. It may have been the equivalent of wearing your pants so low that
                  your underwear is seen--only in this case, there are no pants at all.
                  Just some thoughts.
                  It should be noted that whenever I saw people dressed up for formal
                  affairs, they still had hakama, and hakama are seen more often than not, so
                  it definitely seems to be the more formal and respected outfit.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
                    Otagiri dono!

                    Greetings from Solvieg!

                    > Why did they stop wearing pants?

                    Why did ties become less popular in North America? Basically, there was
                    a bit of a trend towards simplification in costume over the centuries
                    in Japan. Further, as Baron Edward pointed out in one of his Pennsic
                    classes, lower classes tended to adopt the leisure wear of the upper
                    classes as their own formal wear.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
                      Baron Edward!

                      Greetings from Solveig! June Cleaver wearing pearls while vacuming was
                      a bit over the top even for the mid-50's. My mother wore a "house
                      dress" which you would never ever see June Cleaver wear while vacuming
                      and did not generally wear pearls while doing housework. Also, I do not
                      recall my father wearing a jacket while we ate dinner although he did
                      wear one to work. The big dress code revolution was pretty pervasive in
                      the 60's. Men started wearing coloured shirts and even short sleaved
                      shirts to work.

                      As for today, I have seen people wearing both nightwear and underwear
                      as outerwear on campus. I was very startled by the idea of people
                      wandering around their own houses naked until fairly recently.

                      All of that said, the notion that you do dress properly for things was
                      well enough ingrained in my psyche that after summoning the ambulance
                      which was soon to transport me unconscious to the hospital, I decided
                      that I needed to change from night clothes into outside clothes. This
                      led to rather unfortunate results when the rescue squad showed up.

                      > Jeans were work clothes.

                      Jeans were rather specialized work clothes or sportwear. Most workers
                      wore rather different clothing. People were wearing jeans as sportswear
                      by the 1940's or earlier. Actually one of the things that changed is
                      the general disappearance of uniforms. In the days of June Cleaver,
                      service station attendants, milk truck drivers, railroad engineers,
                      painters, and many other occupations had distinctive uniforms.

                    • James Eckman
                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 8, 2005
                        > From: Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
                        >

                        > From: Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
                        >

                        >Why did we stop wearing hats? Why did we stop "dressing up" to do
                        >anything?

                        People dress up, just not the way your're used to.

                        >You didn't see people who weren't working the land wearing
                        >T-shirts in public in the 1940s and 1950s unless they were
                        >counter-culture elements (e.g., James Dean). Jeans were work clothes.
                        >Button down dress shirts (ties, jackets) were the social norm. Nowadays,
                        >we go to the theatre in jeans and a t-shirt and flip-flops. I've seen
                        >people on campus wearing what I would swear to have been pajamas.

                        The concept of dress flip-flops seems like an oxymoron, but I've heard
                        serious discussions about it, and of course there's always the dress
                        t-shirt, the one with the pocket ;)

                        >It's a sign of the coursening of society, IMHO.

                        ROTFL

                        >Remember "Leave it to
                        >Beaver" where the June Cleaver vaccuumed and cooked in a dress and
                        >pearls, and Ward wore a tie and jacket at his own dinner table? That
                        >really was a societal norm. It certainly was in my home.

                        Most people in the 60's and 70's drank more than they do nowadays, 100
                        years ago a bottle a day man was not an uncommon person. Is this part of
                        the refinement we are missing along with lynchings, women forced to stay
                        home, etc? Fashion is one of those transient things and really doesn't
                        have any real long term impact on society. Also the days of no SCA :(
                        Give me the good new days.

                        >Today, I walk around the house in sweatpants and a T-shirt, and it would
                        >kill my dad to have seen it. Those clothes, in his opinion, belong on
                        >the sports field or field house, not in public or as "daywear."

                        Lucky I had counter culture parents then...

                        > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
                        >

                        >Why did ties become less popular in North America?

                        Because they are uncomfortable, dangerous and a pain in the ass? Just
                        the opinion of the fashion god of the nerds.

                        >Basically, there was
                        >a bit of a trend towards simplification in costume over the centuries
                        >in Japan. Further, as Baron Edward pointed out in one of his Pennsic
                        >classes, lower classes tended to adopt the leisure wear of the upper
                        >classes as their own formal wear.

                        Tuxedos come to mind.

                        >As for today, I have seen people wearing both nightwear and underwear
                        >as outerwear on campus. I was very startled by the idea of people
                        >wandering around their own houses naked until fairly recently.

                        Some of our Scandinavian neighbors were doing that in the late 50's,
                        welcome to the land of the Puritans.

                        Jim Eckman
                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 8, 2005

                          > Most people in the 60's and 70's drank more than they do nowadays, 100
                          > years ago a bottle a day man was not an uncommon person. Is this part
                          > of
                          > the refinement we are missing along with lynchings, women forced to
                          > stay
                          > home, etc? Fashion is one of those transient things and really doesn't
                          > have any real long term impact on society. Also the days of no SCA :(
                          > Give me the good new days.

                          I was once told that in the 19th century, the floor of the U.S. Senate
                          was generously equipped with a punch bowl full of whisky. At one time,
                          spittoons were common. Some nineteenth judges and other lawmen had the
                          habit of taking trophies from those apprehended in some case making
                          items of apparel or satchels out of body parts taken from those
                          executed. (This I have seen in a museum.) In nineteenth century
                          Montana, one town decided to steal the county seat from another town.
                          They succeeded, and the original county seat is now a ghost town. Then
                          again, there were those lovely battles between the Pinkertons and all
                          sorts of other groups including, in at least one incident in Ohio if I
                          recall correctly, the local constabulary.

                          > Some of our Scandinavian neighbors were doing that in the late 50's,
                          > welcome to the land of the Puritans.

                          I know not how reliable this story of the Puritans is, but I was once
                          told that the Puritans were tossed out of England for being obnoxious
                          in a variety of ways including apparently demonstrating their supposed
                          purity by parading around London in the buff. One thing that is pretty
                          certain about New England colonists is that they did not all live in
                          white houses. There are amusing cases of the boards of "historical"
                          societies in Lexington and Concord forbidding their owners from
                          painting their houses the colours which they were actually painted at
                          the time of the revolution instead mandating that they must be painted
                          "colonial white".