Re: [SCA-JML] authentic Kimono pattern?

    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 5, 2005

      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/2.htm
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/31.htm

    • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
      Message 2 of 30 , Sep 5, 2005
        I would say there are several issues with using monks when talking about
        pants:
        1) Monks are supposed to have removed themselves from the world. In some
        ways, you could say that 'self-respecting' shouldn't apply since they should
        have rid themselves (or be trying to) of their ego. ;)
        2) Their clothing is distinctive in its form and shape--in this case, the
        lack of pants being a primary component (perhaps due to an attempt to get a
        more 'Indian' look?). I would see it more as ceremonial wear rather than the
        clothing of choice.
        3) The robes of the monks (doufuku, houfuku, kyuutai, etc.) seem to usually
        have an attached 'skirt' of pleats around them. This could possibly be the
        replacement for hakama, allowing the garment to be fuller down towards the
        legs and feet so that it has more flexibility while moving.
        I believe, however, that it is sufficient to say that any self-respecting,
        male layman of the kuge or buke would be wearing hakama in order to be
        fully-dressed, with the possible exception of some extremely late-period
        dandies.

        > Noble Cousins!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig!
        >
        > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/2.htm
        > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/31.htm
        >
        > Your Humble Servant
        > Solveig Throndardottir
        > Amateur Scholar

        > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS, Fleur |
        > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:Solveig@... |

      • Anthony Bryant
        Message 3 of 30 , Sep 5, 2005
          Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

          > Let's see. Admittedly the Heian period say members of the kuge class of
          > both genders tended to wear not one, but often two sets of pants.
          > However, there is a lot more out there than just kuge and buge formal
          > wear. How about monks?

          Yup. See "kukuri bakama" and so on.

          Effingham
        • Anthony Bryant
          Message 4 of 30 , Sep 5, 2005
          • sigrune@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 6, 2005
              In a message dated 9/5/2005 7:34:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...> writes:

              >...I'd say since sometime in the Heian period. Dressing without some
              >kind of pants was the height of "leisure wear" until either so
              >late in period as to be unnoticable or sometime in early Edo...

              True, if one take a look to late Edo Early Meiji period photographs, and illustrations of street sceens one can see a good number of men walking around pantless. As to them being samurai or wealthy townsmen (artisans and merchants) I am not sure because they are shown wearing only a wakizashi or no sword at all. It was supposedly a fasion of the "floating world" followers, i.e. barhoppers. :)

              -Takeda
            • Michael Wood
              Message 6 of 30 , Sep 6, 2005
                --- Ca-Rinn <Ca-Rinn@...> wrote:

                > So.. what would I do about pants? I cant afford much
                > more, since I have
                > to make his garb, some garb for myself (I have been
                > using gold key for
                > five freaking years for summer events because the
                > only thing I ever made
                > was a early spring late fall t-tunic), and a chemise
                > for my 4 month oldÂ…
                >
                > Im not a garb nazi (neither is Hideki-kun), so
                > anything really is cool
                > with us, as long as it is nice to our budget :-)
                >
                > Your humble Servants
                > Cairenn McGowan of Mugmort and Hideki

                I actually found a really good hakama pattern from one
                of the replies to an earlier post (or this post), it
                looks pretty straight forward:
                http://www.dementia.org/~djl/sca/japanese/patterns.html

                I tried it over the weekend and was pleased with the results.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Sep 6, 2005
                  Baron Edward!

                  Greetings from Solveig!

                  > How about
                  > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/20.htm
                  > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/22.htm
                  > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/index.htm
                  > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/kosode/index.htm
                  > etc?
                  >
                  > Monks at their temple aren't exactly what I'd call "going out in
                  > public."

                  I looked at a bunch of those. Several of them, as I recall, depict what
                  are actually traveling clothes. Traveling clothes are a distinct form
                  of clothing which you see a fair amount of in pre-modern Japanese.
                  Traveling clothes persisted in North America at least until the 1950's.
                  Regardless, one of the pictures I referenced depicts a formally dressed
                  high ranking buddhist cleric. The original issue was whether or not a
                  "self-respecting" male would go without pants. I believe that the
                  examples from the Costume Museum answer this question in the
                  affirmative. Yes, indeed! Certain pretty high-ranking self-respecting
                  premodern Japanese men would on certain formal occasions go without
                  trousers.

                • Michael Wood
                  Message 8 of 30 , Sep 6, 2005
                    --- Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...> wrote:
                    >The original issue was
                    > whether or not a
                    > "self-respecting" male would go without pants. I
                    > believe that the
                    > examples from the Costume Museum answer this
                    > question in the
                    > affirmative. Yes, indeed! Certain pretty
                    > high-ranking self-respecting
                    > premodern Japanese men would on certain formal
                    > occasions go without
                    > trousers.

                    I am so sorry I started this argument; I meant to help
                    a new person to the SCA make her man look like he was
                    a samurai, somehow kimono alone looks incomplete. My
                    terms were inappropriately general and vague. I read
                    somewhere (be careful using undocumented sources) that
                    a samurai would never attend a festival (SCA events
                    being festivals) without pants. I have only studied
                    some people of the "Sengoku" period, so my area of
                    knowledge is truly quite small.

                    In the future I will be more careful how I phrase
                    things... "Look here for cool samurai pants too!"

                    Sorry for the confusion

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Anthony Bryant
                    Message 9 of 30 , Sep 6, 2005
                      Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                      > I looked at a bunch of those. Several of them, as I recall, depict
                      > what are actually traveling clothes. Traveling clothes are a distinct
                      > form of clothing which you see a fair amount of in pre-modern
                      > Japanese. Traveling clothes persisted in North America at least until
                      > the 1950's. Regardless, one of the pictures I referenced depicts a
                      > formally dressed high ranking buddhist cleric. The original issue was
                      > whether or not a "self-respecting" male would go without pants. I
                      > believe that the examples from the Costume Museum answer this
                      > question in the affirmative. Yes, indeed! Certain pretty high-ranking
                      > self-respecting premodern Japanese men would on certain formal
                      > occasions go without trousers.

                      I think you're conflating the issue of specialized uniforms (e.g.,
                      clerical "work clothes") with what the NORMAL person wore.

                      Certainly historians of Japanese clothing and fashion (e.g., Suzuki
                      Keizo, Sato Yasuko, and Kawabata Yasuhide) fall on my side. In fact, if
                      I remember the source correctly, the bit about dignified men not going
                      out without pants is a near direct quote from Kawabata in Yusoku kojitsu
                      zufu."

                      Message 10 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005

                        > I am so sorry I started this argument; I meant to help
                        > a new person to the SCA make her man look like he was
                        > a samurai, somehow kimono alone looks incomplete.

                        Bushi indeed frequently went about in hakama. I am sorry if I
                        distressed you. I was simply responding to what I viewed as an overly
                        categorical statement.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
                          Baron Edward!

                          Greetings from Solveig!

                          > I think you're conflating the issue of specialized uniforms (e.g.,
                          > clerical "work clothes") with what the NORMAL person wore.

                          As you well know, the Japanese love uniforms. So, uniforms were hardly
                          unique to the clergy. At least one of the illustrations at the costume
                          museum which I referenced would be better characterized as "ceremonial
                          clothing" than "work clothes". Regardless, as I already mentioned to
                          the unwitting and unfortunate instigator of this recent exchange
                          between us, I was simply responding to what was phrased as a blanket
                          statement. As for the high ranking clerics in question, they were most
                          definitely "dignified men". If anything, high ranking clerics were
                          frequently satirized for their attachment to splendid robes. As for the
                          political status of some of these clerics, I refer you to "Heavenly
                          Warriors" and other similar books about the Kamakura and Muromachi
                          periods. Some of these clerics effectively held rank equivalent to that
                          of a provincial governor.

                        • Anthony Bryant
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
                            Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                            > Baron Edward!
                            >
                            > Greetings from Solveig!
                            >
                            > > I think you're conflating the issue of specialized uniforms (e.g.,
                            > > clerical "work clothes") with what the NORMAL person wore.
                            >
                            > As you well know, the Japanese love uniforms. So, uniforms were hardly
                            > unique to the clergy. At least one of the illustrations at the costume
                            > museum which I referenced would be better characterized as "ceremonial
                            > clothing" than "work clothes". Regardless, as I already mentioned to
                            > the unwitting and unfortunate instigator of this recent exchange
                            > between us, I was simply responding to what was phrased as a blanket
                            > statement. As for the high ranking clerics in question, they were most
                            > definitely "dignified men". If anything, high ranking clerics were
                            > frequently satirized for their attachment to splendid robes. As for the
                            > political status of some of these clerics, I refer you to "Heavenly
                            > Warriors" and other similar books about the Kamakura and Muromachi
                            > periods. Some of these clerics effectively held rank equivalent to that
                            > of a provincial governor.

                            Again....

                            If you want to take that view, fine. But clerical types do NOT count as
                            typical people in terms of dress or style when they are in their outfits.

                            Normal people -- samurai, peasants, artisans, merchants, what have you
                            -- did NOT as a rule go about without some semblance of pants until the
                            early Edo or REALLY REALLY REALLY late in period. It. Was. Just. Not. Done.

                            Effingham
                          • Otagiri Tatsuzou
                            Message 13 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
                              > Normal people -- samurai, peasants, artisans, merchants, what have you
                              > -- did NOT as a rule go about without some semblance of pants until the
                              > early Edo or REALLY REALLY REALLY late in period. It. Was. Just.
                              Not. Done.

                              Why did they stop wearing pants?

                              Otagiri
                            • Anthony Bryant
                              Message 14 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
                                Otagiri Tatsuzou wrote:

                                > Why did they stop wearing pants?

                                Why did we stop wearing hats? Why did we stop "dressing up" to do
                                anything? You didn't see people who weren't working the land wearing
                                T-shirts in public in the 1940s and 1950s unless they were
                                counter-culture elements (e.g., James Dean). Jeans were work clothes.
                                Button down dress shirts (ties, jackets) were the social norm. Nowadays,
                                we go to the theatre in jeans and a t-shirt and flip-flops. I've seen
                                people on campus wearing what I would swear to have been pajamas.

                                It's a sign of the coursening of society, IMHO. Remember "Leave it to
                                Beaver" where the June Cleaver vaccuumed and cooked in a dress and
                                pearls, and Ward wore a tie and jacket at his own dinner table? That
                                really was a societal norm. It certainly was in my home.

                                Today, I walk around the house in sweatpants and a T-shirt, and it would
                                kill my dad to have seen it. Those clothes, in his opinion, belong on
                                the sports field or field house, not in public or as "daywear."

                                Effingham
                              • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                                Message 15 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
                                  On 9/7/05, Otagiri Tatsuzou <ronbroberg@...> wrote:

                                  > > Normal people -- samurai, peasants, artisans, merchants, what have you
                                  > > -- did NOT as a rule go about without some semblance of pants until the
                                  > > early Edo or REALLY REALLY REALLY late in period. It. Was. Just.
                                  > Not. Done.
                                  > >

                                  > Why did they stop wearing pants?
                                  >

                                  > Otagiri

                                  I'm not certain we can say why, for certain, other than that fashion
                                  changed.
                                  I would hazard a guess that walking around in simply a kosode was just a
                                  way of 'bumming around' the house. It may have also been something that
                                  working stiffs did--especially if you are working in summer on a hot day. In
                                  some later Edo Period woodblock prints I also notice what appears to be
                                  another, fancy 'modesty' garment (looks like the front flap of a fundoshi
                                  that has been elaborately embroidered and tasseled, in one
                                  instance)--possibly the response to wearing no pants.
                                  I get the impression from the paintings that this is often similar to
                                  rolling down one's chausses in a European setting.
                                  In "Arrival of the 'Southern Barbarians'" (Anonymous, c. 1600, Leonard C.
                                  Hann Jr. Fund 1960.193.1-2) there is a mix of laymen with hakama and
                                  without. I'd say that hakama are definitely in the majority (well, the
                                  nanban's pantaloons are, but that's a different matter). In some instances,
                                  it may just be that the hakama are the same color as the kosode--it is hard
                                  to make out. Only one layman, that I can clearly make out definitely is not
                                  wearing hakama. I can't be sure if it is a bushi or a merchant.
                                  By the first half of the 17th century we have Kano Einou's "Views of Lake
                                  Biwa" (J. H. Wade Fund 1983.19.1-2). It shows several laymen without hakama,
                                  although they seem to often have kyahan (leg wraps) on.
                                  In the "Hikone Screen" (c. 1630-1645, Hikone Castle Museum, Shiga
                                  Prefecture) we see a samurai dandy leaning on his sword (like a cane), hips
                                  out, and relaxed, with what appears to be just a couple of layers of kosode.
                                  It is hard to tell, but others in the seen are wearing hakama, and the
                                  person in question appears to be quite young. Probably a youth, flirting
                                  witha couple of ladies.
                                  In "Ammusements in a Mansion" (c. 1640s, Private Collection), many of the
                                  men are shown in just kosode style garments--in fact, the style of dress
                                  between men and women is extremely unisex, including the medium-width obi.
                                  Some older gentlemen are wearing pants, as are many of the samurai about to
                                  enter, although two bushi appear to be wearing furisode--the long sleeved
                                  kosode often worn by unmarried women, modernly. The entire scene, I should
                                  note, seems to have something sexual, and in parts possibly homoerotic, to
                                  it.
                                  Add to this the ages old tradition of 'putting on the trousers' as a
                                  special day in a young boy's progression towards manhood, and the lack of
                                  hakama for many working classes, leads me to put forward the following
                                  hypothesis:
                                  As the lower classes were able to attain rank, they brought their clothes
                                  with them. Notice that this happened when the bushi first rose to
                                  prominence, with the hitatare becoming a rich garment. Likewise, the doubuku
                                  appears to have possibly come from the merchant class.
                                  Perhaps the lower ranks of the samurai--drawn from provincial farmer-bushi
                                  and ashigaru--brought this working style with them? On top of that, it seems
                                  that you see pictures of this style in brothels and 'the floating world',
                                  especially among youths. It definitely seems to emphasize the effeminate
                                  qualities. It may have been the equivalent of wearing your pants so low that
                                  your underwear is seen--only in this case, there are no pants at all.
                                  Just some thoughts.
                                  It should be noted that whenever I saw people dressed up for formal
                                  affairs, they still had hakama, and hakama are seen more often than not, so
                                  it definitely seems to be the more formal and respected outfit.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
                                    Otagiri dono!

                                    Greetings from Solvieg!

                                    > Why did they stop wearing pants?

                                    Why did ties become less popular in North America? Basically, there was
                                    a bit of a trend towards simplification in costume over the centuries
                                    in Japan. Further, as Baron Edward pointed out in one of his Pennsic
                                    classes, lower classes tended to adopt the leisure wear of the upper
                                    classes as their own formal wear.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Sep 7, 2005
                                      Baron Edward!

                                      Greetings from Solveig! June Cleaver wearing pearls while vacuming was
                                      a bit over the top even for the mid-50's. My mother wore a "house
                                      dress" which you would never ever see June Cleaver wear while vacuming
                                      and did not generally wear pearls while doing housework. Also, I do not
                                      recall my father wearing a jacket while we ate dinner although he did
                                      wear one to work. The big dress code revolution was pretty pervasive in
                                      the 60's. Men started wearing coloured shirts and even short sleaved
                                      shirts to work.

                                      As for today, I have seen people wearing both nightwear and underwear
                                      as outerwear on campus. I was very startled by the idea of people
                                      wandering around their own houses naked until fairly recently.

                                      All of that said, the notion that you do dress properly for things was
                                      well enough ingrained in my psyche that after summoning the ambulance
                                      which was soon to transport me unconscious to the hospital, I decided
                                      that I needed to change from night clothes into outside clothes. This
                                      led to rather unfortunate results when the rescue squad showed up.

                                      > Jeans were work clothes.

                                      Jeans were rather specialized work clothes or sportwear. Most workers
                                      wore rather different clothing. People were wearing jeans as sportswear
                                      by the 1940's or earlier. Actually one of the things that changed is
                                      the general disappearance of uniforms. In the days of June Cleaver,
                                      service station attendants, milk truck drivers, railroad engineers,
                                      painters, and many other occupations had distinctive uniforms.

                                    • James Eckman
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Sep 8, 2005
                                        > From: Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
                                        >

                                        > From: Anthony Bryant <anthony_bryant@...>
                                        >

                                        >Why did we stop wearing hats? Why did we stop "dressing up" to do
                                        >anything?

                                        People dress up, just not the way your're used to.

                                        >You didn't see people who weren't working the land wearing
                                        >T-shirts in public in the 1940s and 1950s unless they were
                                        >counter-culture elements (e.g., James Dean). Jeans were work clothes.
                                        >Button down dress shirts (ties, jackets) were the social norm. Nowadays,
                                        >we go to the theatre in jeans and a t-shirt and flip-flops. I've seen
                                        >people on campus wearing what I would swear to have been pajamas.

                                        The concept of dress flip-flops seems like an oxymoron, but I've heard
                                        serious discussions about it, and of course there's always the dress
                                        t-shirt, the one with the pocket ;)

                                        >It's a sign of the coursening of society, IMHO.

                                        ROTFL

                                        >Remember "Leave it to
                                        >Beaver" where the June Cleaver vaccuumed and cooked in a dress and
                                        >pearls, and Ward wore a tie and jacket at his own dinner table? That
                                        >really was a societal norm. It certainly was in my home.

                                        Most people in the 60's and 70's drank more than they do nowadays, 100
                                        years ago a bottle a day man was not an uncommon person. Is this part of
                                        the refinement we are missing along with lynchings, women forced to stay
                                        home, etc? Fashion is one of those transient things and really doesn't
                                        have any real long term impact on society. Also the days of no SCA :(
                                        Give me the good new days.

                                        >Today, I walk around the house in sweatpants and a T-shirt, and it would
                                        >kill my dad to have seen it. Those clothes, in his opinion, belong on
                                        >the sports field or field house, not in public or as "daywear."

                                        Lucky I had counter culture parents then...

                                        > From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>
                                        >

                                        >Why did ties become less popular in North America?

                                        Because they are uncomfortable, dangerous and a pain in the ass? Just
                                        the opinion of the fashion god of the nerds.

                                        >Basically, there was
                                        >a bit of a trend towards simplification in costume over the centuries
                                        >in Japan. Further, as Baron Edward pointed out in one of his Pennsic
                                        >classes, lower classes tended to adopt the leisure wear of the upper
                                        >classes as their own formal wear.

                                        Tuxedos come to mind.

                                        >As for today, I have seen people wearing both nightwear and underwear
                                        >as outerwear on campus. I was very startled by the idea of people
                                        >wandering around their own houses naked until fairly recently.

                                        Some of our Scandinavian neighbors were doing that in the late 50's,
                                        welcome to the land of the Puritans.

                                        Jim Eckman
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Sep 8, 2005

                                          > Most people in the 60's and 70's drank more than they do nowadays, 100
                                          > years ago a bottle a day man was not an uncommon person. Is this part
                                          > of
                                          > the refinement we are missing along with lynchings, women forced to
                                          > stay
                                          > home, etc? Fashion is one of those transient things and really doesn't
                                          > have any real long term impact on society. Also the days of no SCA :(
                                          > Give me the good new days.

                                          I was once told that in the 19th century, the floor of the U.S. Senate
                                          was generously equipped with a punch bowl full of whisky. At one time,
                                          spittoons were common. Some nineteenth judges and other lawmen had the
                                          habit of taking trophies from those apprehended in some case making
                                          items of apparel or satchels out of body parts taken from those
                                          executed. (This I have seen in a museum.) In nineteenth century
                                          Montana, one town decided to steal the county seat from another town.
                                          They succeeded, and the original county seat is now a ghost town. Then
                                          again, there were those lovely battles between the Pinkertons and all
                                          sorts of other groups including, in at least one incident in Ohio if I
                                          recall correctly, the local constabulary.

                                          > Some of our Scandinavian neighbors were doing that in the late 50's,
                                          > welcome to the land of the Puritans.

                                          I know not how reliable this story of the Puritans is, but I was once
                                          told that the Puritans were tossed out of England for being obnoxious
                                          in a variety of ways including apparently demonstrating their supposed
                                          purity by parading around London in the buff. One thing that is pretty
                                          certain about New England colonists is that they did not all live in
                                          white houses. There are amusing cases of the boards of "historical"
                                          societies in Lexington and Concord forbidding their owners from
                                          painting their houses the colours which they were actually painted at
                                          the time of the revolution instead mandating that they must be painted
                                          "colonial white".