Re: [SCA-JML] Fukusa

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2005
      Bun'ami sensei!

      Greetings from Solveig! You are getting two terms backwards. A
      "ruoshiki" (bath cloth) is often used to wrap stuff up. A "fukusa" is a
      piece of cloth used in the tea ceremony which is said to derive from
      the furoshishiki borrowed by Sen no Rikyuu from Hideyoshi's wife. The
      thing which most distinguishes wrapped gifts is not so much patterned
      paper but the use of "noshi" which were originally ties and decorations
      attached to the package, but which are sometimes now simply printed on
      the package. Another thing to look into is two layers of paper one
      white and one red with the package wrapped in such a way that the red
      peeks out from behind the white.