Fukusa

  • STEPHEN CHURCH
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2005
      I'm trying to find more information on the fukusa used to wrap gifts.

      I know a noble Lady ( I think it was Hideyoshi's wife) gave one to Sen no
      Riku (1580's) durning a tea ceremony, so I know they are period.
      I also believe that a revival of detailed embroidery happened around this
      time ("After the fall of the Muromachi shogunate, Noh received extensive
      patronage from the military leader Hideyoshi") as the noble's were giving
      fancy embroidered kosode (Nuihaku) to Noh performers.
      I therefore believe that it would have been possible that embroidered fukusa
      were used to wrap expensive gifts, only I can't find any detailed
      information about fukusa, let alone any extent examples.

      Can anyone help?

      Thanks,

      Bun'ami
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2005
        Bun'ami sensei!

        Greetings from Solveig! You are getting two terms backwards. A
        "ruoshiki" (bath cloth) is often used to wrap stuff up. A "fukusa" is a
        piece of cloth used in the tea ceremony which is said to derive from
        the furoshishiki borrowed by Sen no Rikyuu from Hideyoshi's wife. The
        thing which most distinguishes wrapped gifts is not so much patterned
        paper but the use of "noshi" which were originally ties and decorations
        attached to the package, but which are sometimes now simply printed on
        the package. Another thing to look into is two layers of paper one
        white and one red with the package wrapped in such a way that the red
        peeks out from behind the white.