Re: [SCA-JML] japanese instrument?

  • Diane Taylor
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 23, 2005
      Can you post a picture?

      I have a couple ideas myself, but I'd have to see a
      picture to make sure.

      Qara
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 23, 2005
        Aloha!

        This is the Okinawan sanshin http://tinyurl.com/96hvb and this is what a Japanese one looks like http://tinyurl.com/b8flj . Sorry, but this was the best picture I could find that wasn't either an ukiyoe or one of those hand colored photographs of geisha. There's also the kucho http://tinyurl.com/c46g4 .

        Akiyo

        > I have a couple ideas myself, but I'd have to see a
        > picture to make sure.
        >
        > Qara
      • David Williams
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 23, 2005
          Wow, these are really close! If the skin was removed from the body, so that it was bare wood.
          I may have to go make another trip. Do the sanshin have 2 strings? I could have swore the one I saw only had 2.

          Thanks,
          Cristen

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 23, 2005
            Aloha!

            Everything I have seen indicates that it should have 3 strings. My suggestion would be to check the pegs at the top of the instrument. They are similar to those found on a violin. Check to see if there are three sets of holes, each peg goes through two holes. The item in question may be missing a peg and that's why it looks like there should only be two strings. The body is a hollow wooden base and the neck slides into it.

            Maybe I should give up this Japanese falacy and document an Okinawan persona. *smacks forehead* Why did you not pay attention in Japanese school, it would have been useful.

            Akiyo

            ----- End Original Message -----
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 23, 2005

              Greetings from Solveig! The banjo like shamisen is generally considered
              to be an Edo period instrument. The resonator bos is generally
              rectangular and covered on the front and back with cat hide.

            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 23, 2005
                akiyo@... wrote:

                > Aloha!
                >
                > This is the Okinawan sanshin http://tinyurl.com/96hvb and this is what
                > a Japanese one looks like http://tinyurl.com/b8flj . Sorry, but this
                > was the best picture I could find that wasn't either an ukiyoe or one
                > of those hand colored photographs of geisha. There's also the kucho
                > http://tinyurl.com/c46g4 .
                >
                > Akiyo

                This last one looks very much like a Chinese "violin", which also has a
                cylindrical body with a snakeskin head and is a bowed instrument. I
                can't remember the Chinese name for it, but it actually has a very
                pleasing sound...quite remarkable for an instrument with only two
                strings, IIRC.

                Kiri
              • Anthony Bryant
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 23, 2005
                  Elaine Koogler wrote:

                  > This last one looks very much like a Chinese "violin", which also has a
                  > cylindrical body with a snakeskin head and is a bowed instrument. I
                  > can't remember the Chinese name for it, but it actually has a very
                  > pleasing sound...quite remarkable for an instrument with only two
                  > strings, IIRC.

                  That's what I thought at first, too. The erhu (pronounced, obnoxiously
                  enough, as AR-hoo) has a small, round base, though, and a really long,
                  slender neck. I'd really like to see a picture of this thing.

                  Effingham
                • Hebikage Shimaha
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 24, 2005
                    Might be chinese. I've seen a few 2 string square bodied lutes before.

                    -Shisen.

                    > > I was at a local odd-n-ends shop this weekend and
                    > found a stringed musical instrument that I can't
                    > identify but seems similair to a shamisen.
                    > >
                    > > here is the description,
                    > > It is totally made of wood. the main body is a box
                    > about 8" square, the neck is about 2 foot in length.
                    > From what I could tell it has only 2 strings, one of
                    > which was missing.
                    > >
                    > > Any ideas what it may be?
                    > >
                    > > Cristen

                    Keep in touch,
                    Diane Taylor
                    http://dianet8.tripod.com

                    Join me at the Jade Kitsune:

                    Poseidon's Heart: Available now at Triskelion Publication
                    The Montegard Files: Shadow Demon - Available now at Triskelion Publishing
                    Majestic Lion: Comming Soon.
                    Ares in Chains: Work in Progress

                    Writers don't get mad, They write Books!

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

                    Winks & nudges are here - download MSN Messenger 7.0 today!
                    http://messenger.msn.co.uk
                  • David Williams
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 26, 2005
                      So I went back to the store and talked them down pretty cheap so I bought the instrument.
                      I took it home opened google and started researching.

                      Seeing pictures and the like I have figured out it is a Chinese Erhu. It is missing a string and the bow.

                      Cristen