Re: [SCA-JML] I am beset by pesky ninjas..

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 5 4:17 PM
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! Faking lineages was and is very common in
      Japan. Your school's lineage may be authentic, however the chances are
      very good that it is not. Claiming a lineage going back to the T'ang is
      automatically suspicious. There are some things in Japan which are
      traceable to the T'ang, but they are generally preserved in the court.
      Look, there is even a controversy about the imperial lineage which only
      goes back about six hundred years or so. The T'ang were long gone a
      LONG time before that. History means "investigations". This means
      trying to find things out. The web page which was quoted here earlier
      was far from authoritative and even spelled the name of a particular
      uprising in Japan incorrectly in a way which does make a difference.

      Here is an example from something that I am involved with. There is a
      controversy over the origin of the Sen family. The Sen have held a pair
      of adjoining estates in Kyouto since the early seventeenth century and
      are linked by marriage to the imperial family. The dispute is whether
      or not they are Koreans or some such thing.